Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ares L85 spring Min-Max

Hi all,

Right, I brought my L85 roughly 8 months ago and its still going strong. When I got her the shop put in a Guarder SP110 spring which gave me a FPS of 325-330. 8 months down the line I chrono'd her the other day and its doing 285. Iv only just found out that if you push the selector switch all the way down it realises the tension on the spring. (I found that out by accident) So obviously the spring has been compressed so thats why I got the loss in FPS

So my question is, will a Guarder SP120 spring be ok in her? Shes just a bog standard L85.

I know with a SP120 spring it will decrease the ROF but thats something I can live with that as I very rarely use full auto.

I just dont wanna strip the piston.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Cheers, Brewer

Re: Ares L85 spring Min-Max

What FPS are you looking to achieve?
    B&T MP5SD5

Comment

340-350

Comment

Hi Brewer. Just a quick one mate, this would probably be best suited in the tech section. Just a heads up.

From my experience and from a (theoretical) scientific point of view, the Guarder SP110 should be producing at least 360fps. Guarder springs are also known for being higher rated than they should; I could see a GSP110 putting out 380fps.

If you fire your rifle semi automatic a few times at the end of a skirmish, ensuring it's a full trigger pull, this will release the tension on the spring. The feature mentioned is, well almost pointless. But can serve a purpose.

I'd say don't buy another spring. If I were you, and were technically able to, I'd strip the gearbox and give it a really good looking over, ensuring the piston is fine etc, but more importantly in response to your question - check the airseal.

I'd place a bet on the airseal being a bit poor. So check the Piston Head's O-Ring, Cylinder Head O ring, Cylinder Head (nozzle) and then the Air Seal Nozzle. An easy way to see if your airseal is gone is by the following:-

Remove spring and guide.
        Remove tappet plate if wanted.
        Leave Cylinder, Cylinder Head, Piston, Piston Head and ASN in.
        Place a finger over the air-hole on the ASN.
        With other hand, attempt to push the piston into the cylinder all the way forward (ie reciprocating action - pull it out to "fully cocked" position and push in, all the time holding finger over nozzle). If you can push it in no problems, then you have a poor air seal.

The normal* culprit to this is a dried up and un-stretched piston head o-ring. Replace the O ring and test. If there's still a poor seal, remove the air seal nozzle but keep all the other components in place.

Place finger over the cylinder head nozzle this time, re-test.

If the piston is still sliding in fine, then the chances are you need to replace your Cylinder Head. If the piston cannot be pushed in, but with the airseal nozzle it can, then the ASN may need to be replaced.

Normally what I do is get some thin cloth (or a cotton wool stick thing) and clean inside the nozzle of the cylinder head and the ASN itself. Then I get a bit of Abbey grease on the other end, once there's no dirty grease left, and re-lube the insides up. This can sometimes sort the airseal without needing all new parts.

When you've corrected the airseal so that when you place a finger over the air seal nozzle, the piston cannot be pushed into the cylinder, reassemble the gun and chrono.

If the airseal was bad upon disassembly, you should notice quite a jump (I've experienced a maximum of 70fps jump). However, if the FPS is still poor, you're going to need to have a look at the hop unit - particularly the hop rubber. This could be torn, or may simply be quite thin, reducing the air seal within the hop unit.

I often use TM hop rubbers and they generally give the best seal.

If this is all babble, get a retailer to sort it. Like ZeroOne! Hehe.

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

Hey Gaffa, thanks for the advise. Im quite good when it comes to working on gearboxes but I must admit Iv never worked on a L85 one before. But as they say "theres a first time for everything" One thing i have noticed is that the original Ares spring is about 15mm longer than a "normal" AEG spring. Its the same with my friends Ares LSW. Maybe that could be contributing to the FPS too?

But ill have a go at stripping her apart tomorrow.

Comment

The JG springs are shorter than any of the Element springs (and others) I've used. Yet they can still produce past 400 fps.

I think it's the way they're made - ie, how hard it is to compress, which counts to the FPS.

If the gearbox is longer, or the cylinder is longer, the longer spring may actually have been a 400fps rated spring (in any other gearbox) but due to the longer cylinder is less. Just like an SR25, this would mean that you need a spring a power level higher than what you want. But still, the SP110 should be more than enough.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

you do know that gearbox has quick change spring system right??
              stick a systema m100 in that will get you the power your after

Comment

Originally posted by d_k View Post
                you do know that gearbox has quick change spring system right??
                stick a systema m100 in that will get you the power your after
                Yeah mate i do. Just dont wanna strip the piston

Comment

A m100 spring wont spring the piston.
                  B&T MP5SD5

Comment

them ares pistons are tough my mate has or had a lsw pushing 450fps lol systema m100 will give a nice 350-360 fps give or take, im guessing thats ther fps your after

Comment

Originally posted by d_k View Post
                      them ares pistons are tough my mate has or had a lsw pushing 450fps lol systema m100 will give a nice 350-360 fps give or take, im guessing thats ther fps your after

Thats gunna leave a few marks!!!! Yeah 350 is the FPS im after.

Comment

With respect, but a Guarder 110 spring should not produce anything less than 300fps. The only exception to this is if it's been left tensed.

Putting science into it... Systema M100 = 100 metres per second = 330fps on a perfect air seal.
                        Guarder SP110 = 110 m/s = 363fps on a perfect airseal - plus Guarder springs are normally more powerful anyway.

Look at the airseal first before buying a new spring.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

brewer17 Find out more about brewer17
                        Working...
                        X