Recommendations on Eye Protection with Prescription Inserts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations on Eye Protection with Prescription Inserts

Yes, it's another 'what glasses can you wear with glasses' thread, and another poll to boot! Good times. But the hope is that this one could be a good reference point for searches.

Personally I'm tired on the huge goggles I have to wear over my relatively small prescription glasses and have decided to go for some decent eye protection that allows for the addition of prescription lens inserts.

Reading the plethora of posts on the subject has allowed me to narrow down my choices to four in the reasonable price range (i.e. not Oakley), but need help deciding. They are:

ESS ICE 2.4

Pros - interchangeable lenses, good air flow, can have an elasticated attachment, their precscription insert can also be used in ESS Advancers

Cons - expensive for decent set plus prescription inserts are extra, apparently they have gaps at the sides

ESS Advancer V12

Pros - interchangeable lenses, elasticated attachment as standard, their precscription insert can also be used in ESS ICE,

Cons - very expensive for decent set plus prescription inserts are extra, apparently fog up easily

Daisy C3

Pros - very cheap from HK, interchangeable lenses, good air flow, come with elasticated attachment, their precscription insert comes as standard in the set

Cons - cheap build quality on the frames

Viper Tactical Glasses

Pros - cheap and available in the UK, interchangeable lenses, good air flow, can have an elasticated attachment, their precscription insert comes as standard in the set

Cons - cheap build quality on the frames

Feel free to vote in the poll, but more importantly please comment on your personal experience of these (or any other similiar 'prescription ready' glasses). Of particular interest to me would be knowing which ones meet these criteria best:
    • Don't easily fog
    • Provide a good 'rounded' protection so as to not let stray bbs in
    • Have prescription inserts that fit securely
    • Have prescription inserts that have a large enough lens size to allow good field of vision

Thanks in advance!
    ESS ICE 2.4
    44.44%
    ESS Advancer V12
    18.52%
    Daisy C3
    7.41%
    Viper Tactical Glasses
    9.26%
    Other (please specify in post)
    20.37%
    102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Re: Recommendations on Eye Protection with Prescription Inserts

I just bought the 2.4's. Expensive yes, but after having a pair of Guarder's frames shatter on me, most likely worth it. Plus, every glasses-style system has a gap in some form.

My vote goes to the 2.4's
    Altus Volo Mugio Extraho

Comment

how are ESS ice 2.4's expensive? are yous guys eyes worth less than £25 odd quid?

madness

and ive been shot in the eyes a lot with my ess ice on..not once is there a possibility of a bb some how defying gravity and going into my eye...if it can happen on ICE it can happen with a any pair of glasses.
      Last edited by LtPurcy; 2 February, 2011, 20:26.

Comment

Daisy C3 all the time. For the price, they really are the best. Passes hammer and live round tests.

Read my review:

http://zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=89928

The build quality may not be great, but it's certainly better than the guarder which shattered.

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

My Guarders have been brilliant. Had them a few years now, Guarder C4 Tactical Shooting Glasses, about £30 and comes with dif lenses etc. A slight scuff where i dropped them in the road but not a mark after being hit by BB's.

The Unit-13 Vipers are Recruiting
          Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Uni...92968847384478
          UK Airsoft Wiki Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by LtPurcy View Post
            how are ESS ice 2.4's expensive? are yous guys eyes worth less than £25 odd quid?

madness

and ive been shot in the eyes a lot with my ess ice on..not once is there a possibility of a bb some how defying gravity and going into my eye...if it can happen on ICE it can happen with a any pair of glasses.
            They're not terribly expensive unless you're looking into the prescription inserts option, when it goes up to maybe £80 total, and that's the point which might give people pause.

There is a tiny gap which, if shot at the exact right angle, might let a BB in, but even then your ear is in the way.

So expensive as they may be I heartily reccomend the ICEs. My Gaurder c3 frames literally disintegrated after a powerful hit, but I can see these ICEs lasting for... well, ever.
            - confirmed Mr.cool coolest of the cool airsofters.
            - I can't believe I'm lame enough to put my extremely cool youtube channel in my signature

Comment

Yeah, don't confuse the Daisy C3's with the Guarders though, Two different leagues.

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

These should give you plenty protection

Dont Eat What You Cant Fry

Comment

You could always try Contact lenses? But a bit of a marmite thing really, works for quite a few people though, even just getting a few sets a month and wearing the 1 day disposable lenses just for the day. For me it works wonders, but maybe not for everybody. Its definately an un-natural feeling when you first start almost prodding your eye.

Comment

Noit a fan of contacts.

Right now I'm torn between the ICE and the Daisy C3s.

Does anyone have any actual experience of using the prescription inserts with either? (Including the fact that ICE seems to have several types of insert available).
                    102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Comment

I have a set of the ess ICE with prescription inserts and yes they may be expensive but deffo cant put a price on peice of mind that your eyes are safe.

Pros - good comfy fit, anti fog cloth works a dream on normal lenses. Inserts are large giving a good field of view.
                      Cons - slight gap around rim but this gap is created by the prescription part pushing them away from your face. The gap left is mostly blocked by the inserts.anti fog won't work on inserts so they can still fog.... Answer breathe in a more controlled manner helps a lot

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      sigpic

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=101821

Comment

Can't give you a definite on my new ICE 2.4's until saturday night, but a friend who also has the inserts has never had a problem. That said, we both have the heroshark mesh masks, which obviously aids airflow in a major way!

I got polycarbonate lenses put in at specsavers, meaning the inserts are a similar material to the actual lenses. Helps with weight, and also more durable than glass. As for fog, I find their 50p wipes work amazingly well.
                        Altus Volo Mugio Extraho

Comment

oakleys and contacts.. you can get daily ones for cheap money and they really are hassle free..

Comment

Guarder glasses are the best for this. Me and my partner both use them.
                            I don't use the inserts (i go with contacts) but he does. Wears them all day with no complaint at all. Very good comfy glasses, good price with loads of lense options, spare nose pieces and the insert piece included
                            Originally posted by spetsnazdave87
                            I've never seen an Aug look so large :p

Comment

Originally posted by Roxy View Post
                              Guarder glasses are the best for this. Me and my partner both use them.
                              I don't use the inserts (i go with contacts) but he does. Wears them all day with no complaint at all. Very good comfy glasses, good price with loads of lense options, spare nose pieces and the insert piece included
                              My guarders (the ones with the frames that go across the top), had no issue, until a shot in CQB made the frames break. Not the lenses, they're still perfect, but the frames broke in half. Probably use the inserts and lenses for cosplay materials, now I have them. Half-gas mask with lensed HUD anyone?

Could have been worse, they could have come off mid-firefight, but they stayed on until I noticed at a half-way point.
                              Altus Volo Mugio Extraho

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Longshot Find out more about Longshot
                              Working...
                              X