need help zeroing scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help zeroing scope

Right, so i've finally completed my vsr pdi build, along with it i bought a leapers 3-9x50 scope.

Now i need help zeroing it... I have followed exactly what it says to do, loosen the knob until the adjust line appears, then turn the wheel and it should click. So i am up to this stage, i am starting out with the windage, anyway so it needs to be adjusted right by about 1cm at a 10m distance, but, when i move the windage knob, still it shoots in the exact same spot, and i am puzzled to why?

I think it may be something i am doing wrong, i had a previous scope, and the same thing happened, so either i am unlucky, or i am doing the wrong thing?

Please help! Thanks

Re: need help zeroing scope

The problem is most likely down to the distance you're trying to zero at, scopes don't have enough space to adjust at such close distances (it'll need several more clicks to adjust 1" at 10m than it would at 80)
    At close distances, shots will almost always register outside the scope's adjustment ranges due to the hop arc anyway
    If your sites MED for snipers is say 30m, you want to start zeroing from that distance
    It's fine to start at ten meters, get the shots landing within say 2 inches of the target's center, then move out to twenty and zero it closer again and keep moving further out to your optimal range

Try this: clamp the gun in place, so it can't move at all during cocking and firing
    Reset the windage and elevation turrets
    Set up a target at a distance, line up the crosshairs to the center of the target
    Make sure the gun cannot move at all from the position it is now in
    Take a shot
    Without moving the gun, use the windage and elevation turrets and move the reticule to the point where the shot landed
    Now move the gun and line up the crosshairs and the center of the target again, then clamp it down
    Repeat

Comment

You will be ok to turn it a full 180 degrees so long as you remember which way you turned it. Then you will see the effect it has.

A decent distance to zero a scope is arround 50m for a decent sniper. As you wount have to worry if the target is between 50m and your min engagement distance.

Have you tried it without moving anything?
      Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

I've just been sticking the bipod on a table, and shooting a target outside, which is i would say 10m away, don't have anything i could easily clamp it down with, but i will take it to my site and do it there, should i see the reticle move when i adjust the turrets? It's pretty hard to tell if they move or not...

Comment

is this aiming the gun or placed on a sand bag when zeroing my guns and when i used to with my air guns id place the gun on 2 sand bags and hold it shoot at something that you can see a mark on then tune to that without moving the gun. only after that id set it up to my eye sight and trigger pull.
          Originally posted by jonfox94
          will it be possible for me to buy this if i 2 tone it upon delivery ? i will also pay any postage fees

Comment

Do you know anyone who has a bore laser, ive zero'd my sights (on aegs mind you) with one and it was so nice and easy
            sigpic

Comment

10m seems a little close to be honest though. I did my jing peng cheapcheap rifle at 40-50m and it still hit the target well, and you could see how the scope crosshairs affect where you shoot at that range too :D

Comment

Originally posted by joshh1512 View Post
                I've just been sticking the bipod on a table, and shooting a target outside, which is i would say 10m away, don't have anything i could easily clamp it down with, but i will take it to my site and do it there, should i see the reticle move when i adjust the turrets? It's pretty hard to tell if they move or not...
                Probably not. Unless somethng is drasticly wrong.
                Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

Originally posted by grey View Post
                  Try this: clamp the gun in place, so it can't move at all during cocking and firing
                  Reset the windage and elevation turrets
                  Set up a target at a distance, line up the crosshairs to the center of the target
                  Make sure the gun cannot move at all from the position it is now in
                  Take a shot
                  Without moving the gun, use the windage and elevation turrets and move the reticule to the point where the shot landed
                  Now move the gun and line up the crosshairs and the center of the target again, then clamp it down
                  Repeat
                  Nooo, ive read this a few times, you dont clamp a rifle to zero, you wont get the right eye relief or the correct manner in which the rifle will sit for you. With every person its different affected by size, shape, eyesight, everything. If you could clamp a weapon for zeroing all would come pre zeroed and fused in the correct position..

Patience is how you zero, as its a sniper, get in the prone, put up a target 30 - 40m ahead and work to that, five rounds, then adjust to the centre of the fall of shot, keep going until youre happy youve got it nailed, particularily the left/right then you can start mucking about with distances and aiming high or adjusting on. if youve got a distance adjuster, note what clicks centre for what distance and write it on a piece of tape on you rifle, then you can adjust confidently mid game, sorted
                  Originally posted by Bluegill
                  5 years Backyard Skirmishing...

I hope that's not an airsoft euphemism

Comment

Originally posted by oneshot187 View Post
                    If youve got a distance adjuster, note what clicks centre for what distance and write it on a piece of tape on you rifle, then you can adjust confidently mid game, sorted
                    Just like the real guys do

To be honest in airsoft this isn't as neccessary due to the shorter ranges. I adjust for range using my recticle, don't know exactly what it's called, might just be a standard one lol but it has lines on the lateral crosshair so you can adjust for windage. Same on the vertical crosshair, so adjust for range on that.

Practice a bit, and you tend to get pretty good at range estimation, and use that information when you take your shot.

Dan

Comment

oneshot: is the range adjuster, one of those big wheels on the side of the scope?

My scope is the leapers 5th gen 3-9x50, if you could quickly check to see if it does that would be great of you, cheers

Comment

Scopes aren't built for airsoft. You'll find its adjustment range is something like 1/8th of an Inch at 100 yards per click. At 10 yards you'd have to move 10, 20, 30 clicks to see any difference in your aimpoint.

Don't be afraid to turn it a lot but never force it.

Comment

just turn it as much as you need to get it to line up. So long as you pick a sensible range that you would normally shoot at, it doesnt matter how many clicks here and there really, just so long as it shoots where you point it!

Comment

You should be zeroin in your scope to atleast 50 metres, especially as its been fully upgraded by sounds of it.

Its best to be done on site as soon as possible and its a simple case of just turning the dials as necessary, constantly look down your sight whilst your adjusting it if you can, its all about taking your time with it so once its done right you will enjoy the rest of your day shooting.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

joshh1512 Find out more about joshh1512
                            Working...
                            X