Long thread: P90 Upgrade and advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long thread: P90 Upgrade and advice please

For those who have started reading this thread let me convey my thanks and appreciation for your help or for the very least, your time in reading it. I think this may MAY end up beign a wall of text. If so I'll try and keep it as short as I can.

So as hinted Im fairly new to the hobby and have been playing for a number of months. I have already been through the initial "oh cool I wanna be a sniper or a marksman stage" to realise im more of a short to mid ranged style of player (and "sneaky git"). I have had my heart set on TM-P90 TR for a while and have decided I want to unlock its full potential in terms of upgrades in accordance to my sites AeG FPS limit (370) I have used a number of airsoft guns and for the record this will be MY personal first and primary weapon. My budget is between £800.00-£900.00

As an individual thats does his research -or as much as possible- I've hit a number of walls which I would like come feedback on.

1. Obviously I'll want to put in a tight bore barrel....but: will I get a smoother and more accurate shot with a madbull (longer) barrel or with a PDI barrel (that only comes in the default p90 size)? Have read a lot of contradicting accounts and its hard to know what to make of them. Also 6.01 or 6.03?

(I already understand high quality polished BBs will be required)

2. Increased rate of fire, something I need some clarity on. So with the Systema Full tune up kit and a new motor I understand it has everything to reinforce the gearbox for the accelerated RoF when using a 9 volt J-battery. Like the bushings and shimmings etc, is that correct?

3. This is the big one! Springs, BB's and FPS:

There are so many brands and variations of springs I dont know if im comming or going. But if im not mistaken an m120 spring will give me around 400fps +/- with 0.2 BB's

The first thing my friend made sure to pound in to my head was that high FPS does NOT necessaraly equate to range, accuracy and generic win!

But.....and you knew this was comming.

I read up on FPS and effects on different weighted BBs and I theorise that if: I can confirm and find a spring that will initialy ball park me at 420fps....then use a 0.3 high polish BB will not only effect the FPS enough to bring it below -or around- 370 but due to their nature ......yes fire slower....but because of their higher mass they store more energy and are effected less by environment. Thus, and also my main point have a tighter grouping and possibly a little more range/accuracy?

Am I using my head properly here or being naive to a many possibly outside factors that would have this destroy the P90 due to being fairly new to the hobby?

I know that was a lot to read but for those who make it to the bottom of the page thank you. Its a lot of money and I want to be as well informed as possible before I spend it.

-Ved

Your site will most likely say that you need to be 370 with .20 so you will need a spring at that power, also it's mainly a safety thing as the speed may be different but the energy will be more with high weight high spring combo ( e=mc^2 ) so you will want a m110 spring

With that much Money in your budget might want to plow it on a systema mp5? By far the best out there but you pay for it in price
    Just a thought
    TAE

Comment

Re: Long thread: P90 Upgrade and advice please

1) Longer barrel doesn't mean jack, to be honest. But I'd go for a Prometheus with that budget, as the long range groupings are slightly better, and the barrel is made with better tolerances. Also, 6.03. There's no need in a 6.01mm.

2) Personally, I'd go for a Guarder Full Tune Up Kit, but it's up to you (some Systema parts aren't great). Don't worry about the Systema making the gearbox reliable nonsense, the V6 box is fantastic as it is and isn't going to break. On this note, avoid the Systema motors - unless its their new one (Energy?? ) which combines both speed and torque. Stick with the SHS Long Shaft high speed, or if you really want speed, go for the HS-50000L. It's the fastest motor available for airsoft - a whole 10,000 RPM faster than the Systema turbo.

3) You will want the M120 spring (go for the Guarder SP120), but you'll want to take a few teeth off the piston and the sector gear. As stated above, you can't use heavier ammo to lower the fps - but short stroking as above will reduce your FPS. Still, remember for a high ROF you want a high spring so that it pushes the piston forward quickly enough.

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

Well I'd get something else

But a tight bore
        Tm p90, not the red dot version
        Eotech of some type
        Lipo battery
        Mag 190 round madcaps

I had a guarder sp90 i'n mine, that took it to 330 which is the limit down here!!
        FOR SALE
        7" Magpul ERGO free float ris, 7" larue ff ris,
        , multicam pistol pouch, ACM pistol fast bags.

Comment

The guarder springs can be hot, but it's hit and miss. However, they should be quite consistent once settled.

As a new player, I'd also ditch the idea of the 9.6v J battery (does anyone still use them in AUG's/ P90's?) Go with a 7.4v lipo. The biggest you'll fit in is a 7.4v 2200mAh 25C battery, but that should last at least the day, and give similar rate of fire to the 9.6v. And it's £16, so just win really.

Yeah, the RD version of the P90 is a bit crap-tastic, but still okay if it works.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the replies, I understand your point about fps using a standard weight and at least I now know for sure to go for an m110 tune up kit or shortstroke an m120. To be honest you are right I could afford an mp5, but as an eccentric individual with quirky tastes I simply like the fact the P90 is compact and will help me keep a low profile if im crawling and hiding with it being a top loaded bulpup design. The Mp5 is far too reminicent of an AK/M4 and lets just say im not a fan.

Theres some really good advice in this thread that I may have never have found trawling the net for hours. Thank you gentlemen.

To Gaffa:

Short stroking means the gear is pulling the piston a slightly shorter distance to reduce the force the spring exerts upon it. Thats how it reduced the FPS right?

Also about batterys, if I baught one of those stock extenders could or should I get an even stronger battery in there and will the guarder tune up kit gears cope?

Comment

Yeah, plus you want the TM P90's hop unit, which kicks any MP5 out of the scene.

Well you see, if I was in your position with that budget, I'd buy a Prometheus FTK (the V2 model; I only just remembered they did them) and swap out the necessary parts for the P90 - which shouldn't be many.

This is short stroking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K15hhCx1zw

The guarder gears would cope no problem, they're some of the best I've used. The stock extenders only allow the use of a normal 9.6v battery, so you wouldn't really gain much, apart from being able to use a higher rated 7.4v.

Comment

Understood Gaffa, thanks for the link aswell.

You have touched on another topic:

"Plus you want the TM P90's hop unit, which kicks any MP5 out of the scene"

In hindsight I realise I am actually buying a TM P90 TR and completely overhauling the thing. Can TM's hop up unit, bucking and hop up be improved on or is this a high quality component? I know it's meant to be pretty good, but by how much of a comparable margine?

Comment

as far as my knowledge the TM hope is rather brilliant...
                  FOR SALE
                  7" Magpul ERGO free float ris, 7" larue ff ris,
                  , multicam pistol pouch, ACM pistol fast bags.

Comment

Well for the P90, there isn't really an "upgrade" option. So there isn't much to compare. But in comparison, it's as good as TM V2 Recoil series hop units, and just under the TM M14's (which sits at the top of course).

Leave the TM one in; you may want to look at Firefly Soft Rubbers and Firefly nubs to replace the original TM ones, but keep the TM unit.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Vedras Find out more about Vedras
                    Working...
                    X