X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Customs charges

Originally posted by Archer1963 View Post
    <SNIP>

In this instance, TNT have cleared the goods into the UK on your behalf using their DAN and are charging you for that.

Its nothing to do with "International service"

It's a cost that is/should be levied for any goods entering into the EEC.
    My problem with it is that it should be factored into the original fee they charge for the international courier service. If they put all their prices up by slightly across the board, the increase on the ones that escape customs would cover the deferrment fees for the ones that don't.

It's not like they don't know a package going from HK to UK might get stopped at customs. In fact, I've not heard of any TNT parcels from outside the EU that don't. Maybe that's how they subsidise their shipping fees...

In the case of my package, it's around an 80% increase in the shipping cost.

Comment

Originally posted by No1_sonuk View Post
      My problem with it is that it should be factored into the original fee they charge for the international courier service. If they put all their prices up by slightly across the board, the increase on the ones that escape customs would cover the deferrment fees for the ones that don't.

It's not like they don't know a package going from HK to UK might get stopped at customs. In fact, I've not heard of any TNT parcels from outside the EU that don't. Maybe that's how they subsidise their shipping fees...

In the case of my package, it's around an 80% increase in the shipping cost.
      Unlikely to happen i'm afraid.

TNT (alongside DHL/UPS/Fedex etc and other Freight Forwarders/Agents etc) will not factor that into a fee.

Its always shown as a separate cost for doing the clearance when the goods are cleared via HMRC

Their freight costs will only cover movement from Origin to Destination Port.

Its a cost that's incurred after the goods arrive into the UK/EEC.

IE: when the items are then processed for Clearance by HMRC

Comment

But I wasn't given the choice of clearing it myself...

BTW, I just checked, and they cashed the cheque 10 days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by No1_sonuk View Post
          But I wasn't given the choice of clearing it myself...

BTW, I just checked, and they cashed the cheque 10 days ago.
          And if they offered - would you have been able to raise an Air Import Clearance ?

:D

Its only taken me about 20 years to learn how to do 'em.....(ex Import/Export /Admin/jack of all trades here)

Sadly, you're not given the option by these firms.

Comment

In my current battle with Parcelforce, they defended their automatic clearance of parcels by quoting article 18 of the UPU - and indeed it does state that they can charge for this, based on the actual costs.
            I brought this up with them, and asked for a breakdown of the clearance charges, to prove that it actually cost them £13.50 to clear each parcel. They said they didn't offer breakdowns, and went silent, ignoring all my emails from then on.
            I submitted a Freedom of Information request, which they denied, and I have since submitted a request for an internal review - they have acknowledged receipt of this request, and should give a reply within a month or so.
            All this for £13.50 - I bet that the cost in wages for the time I've spent asking them about it has already cost them more than that...
            Others till I die

Comment

They denied the FOI request because they're not a Government department!

As for the charges, phone them; tell them you will pay for the import duties but not the clearance fee (for which you want to be invoiced for). They are not permitted under law to hold your shipment in leiu of a civil debt.

Now go get your stuff!

Comment

im currently waiting for my package to clear customs. it was recieved in coventry on the 11th of this month and i still haven't had any correspondance from either, customs or parcelfarce. can people tell me how long they had to wait for their package?

Cheers.
                sigpic
                Dog Soldiers Airsoft - We hope we give you the shits.

Comment

^ You've lost that one.

Seriously - phone them NOW.

Comment

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                    They denied the FOI request because they're not a Government department!

As for the charges, phone them; tell them you will pay for the import duties but not the clearance fee (for which you want to be invoiced for). They are not permitted under law to hold your shipment in leiu of a civil debt.

Now go get your stuff!
                    I've had it for a long time - the fact that they've had time to bother responding to my FoI request should give an indication of that... They always leave it until the last minute, 20 days later.
                    I'm asking for an (at least partial) refund from them.
                    Others till I die

Comment

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                      ^ You've lost that one.

Seriously - phone them NOW.
                      I rang them the other day and i got passed around a lot untill one woman said she would get the correct department to ring me to let me know whats going on. will ring them again tomorrow. cheers panoptes
                      sigpic
                      Dog Soldiers Airsoft - We hope we give you the shits.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

SA-80_DUDE25 Find out more about SA-80_DUDE25
                      Working...
                      X