Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torch help

Hi,
    I am looking to get a proper torch for playing in the dark, In particular a Tunnel system close to Kidderminster . What I want to know is, what is my best option? is a surefire clone good? or would I be better off biting the bullet and getting the real deal. NOTE: at times the only light available is from torches so my cheap led torch is lacking a little.
    Thanks
    Matt

Re: Torch help

Ultrafire is fine for me, I bought a 5 mode one with about 200+ lumens and supposed range of 100m for £18 off the bay.
    Originally posted by hellbound
    Magpul'ed guns wish they had Chuck Norris attachments

Comment

Originally posted by GrammarNazi75 View Post
      Ultrafire is fine for me, I bought a 5 mode one with about 200+ lumens and supposed range of 100m for £18 off the bay.
      Have you compared to actual Surefires? as if it can be justified I will just get one but preferable I would like to spend no more than £100 as well it is only a torch right?

Comment

I've had a g&p r500 scorpion for over 3 years. Best bit of kit I've ever bought, 500 lumens, rechargeable although a little pricey but mine has been %100 reliable. I paid about £90 for mine. It's always cool when you turn up and some one asks, "Why did you bring the sun". Ive never come across a brighter torch being used in airsoft but i'am sure some one will soon shoot me down in flames on that comment.

Comment

olight m20 warrior, amazing bit of kit. 320 lumens, 200m+ throw, 4 modes. Can get the torch, rail mount and pressure switch for £80 if you know where to look.

Comment

As above for me Olight M20, fantastic bits of kit, really bright, good on batteries as well. When I got mine I showed it to my local sites boss and he liked it so much he ordered one the very next day and ditched his surefire, bearing in mind his SF is a real one and not a clone he is also someone that used them at a professional level too. We both (among a few others) that surefire are nice but way overpriced, far from the brightest, they just have a nice focus and are well made, but the Olights are extremely well made and well worth the money!
            section 24 of the 1968 Act
            Supplying imitation firearms to minors
            1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
            2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Thanks, I had not thought to look towards Cree but thanks! It looks good and well worth the money. Dumb question but do they only come in LED versions? also if they do come in other versions what would you recommend?

Comment

The Olights only come in LED, you wouldn't want to go incandescent, for the size,weight and output lumens, incandescents are bigger and bulkier, to get 320 lumens out of a normal lamp requires quite a big bulb and lots of batteries, burn times tend to be poor too, lamps like xenon can be bright but again burn times are short, my old VLI is only 120 lumens, uses 3 3.7 v lithium batteries and only gives about 40 minutes burn, it also gets very hot and has no strobe. LED torches have better lamp life, the olight uses 2 CR123 lithiums (changed mine for rechargeable) gives a good few hours burn time, 50000 hours life on the lamp itself and is adjustable brightness settings, plus it's nearly 3 times the output with a strobe (can't do that with incandescent). I'd go LED, it saves you money over it's life time.
                1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Originally posted by seansamurai1 View Post
                  The Olights only come in LED, you wouldn't want to go incandescent, for the size,weight and output lumens, incandescents are bigger and bulkier, to get 320 lumens out of a normal lamp requires quite a big bulb and lots of batteries, burn times tend to be poor too, lamps like xenon can be bright but again burn times are short, my old VLI is only 120 lumens, uses 3 3.7 v lithium batteries and only gives about 40 minutes burn, it also gets very hot and has no strobe. LED torches have better lamp life, the olight uses 2 CR123 lithiums (changed mine for rechargeable) gives a good few hours burn time, 50000 hours life on the lamp itself and is adjustable brightness settings, plus it's nearly 3 times the output with a strobe (can't do that with incandescent). I'd go LED, it saves you money over it's life time.
                  Thanks man, I have never really got around to understanding the ins and outs of torches so this is a great help! I think come next payday a M20 will be on its way to me! one last question, is there much difference between models. there is an R5 and s2 special operations both selling for the same price, and I can not see the difference between the two. is there something I am missing?
                  Thanks
                  Mat

Comment

The s2 has a slightly different tailcap that not only has the normal tailcap switch but a second button for instant strobe, the strobe is also slightly faster on the S2, I would recommend as well to getting the package deal with the pressure switch and mount (which is for fitting to a scope), I use the mount supplied on my shot gun as the feed tube is 25mm, the same size as an average scope body, then I use 2 25mm diameter lowrise scope rings as a mount for my other guns(with 20 mm RIS/RAS attachment method) the body of the torch is 25mm so mounting options are available and cheap, the pressure switch is also very good!

Comment

Awesome thanks, yeah I have a mount I am using at the moment (its like an offset torch mount) which I will just use and I am planning on getting the rail covers with pressure switch compartment and then just mount. I will pick one up soon and then try it out thanks for all your help!

Comment

Sorry to bring up a dead thread but just thought I would mention that my M20 S2 Arrived today and so far I am very impressed! cant wait to try it out next weekend.

Comment

Had the pleasure of testing a wolf eyes Defender for a magazine on a weekender just gone. The torch is about £100, the mount and pressure pad extra though. I must say i was so impressed i'll be getting myself one, it comes with a rechargable battery and charger, which is an excellent touch as you don't need to buy batteries for it, Charge it before a game and good to go, To test it i left it on from 11 in the evening and it was still going brightly at 5 am, and still going although almost useless at 9am, that was continuous usage.

Would highly recommend them. The pressure pad also had a lock on it, so engage the lock and you can't turn it on accidentally.

Comment

Originally posted by BringOnThunder View Post
                            Sorry to bring up a dead thread but just thought I would mention that my M20 S2 Arrived today and so far I am very impressed! cant wait to try it out next weekend.
                            Nice, glad you like it, they are nice and compact too!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

BringOnThunder Find out more about BringOnThunder
                            Working...
                            X