Version 1 gearboxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Version 1 gearboxes?

Looking at getting a famas which takes a ver1 gearbox and wondering about upgrades and compatibility.
    Will the gearbox take a normal piston and gears?
    thanks

Re: Version 1 gearboxes?

if its a TM...then my advice to you is dont touch the mechbox,its perfectly adequate already....maybe add a tight bore...if you desire to tinker with the insides of an aeg get something else
    VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
    trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

A mate of mine had a TM famas and he really struggled to get hold of upgrade parts for it.

It is a very solid gearbox and it's very robust. As suggested - stick a tightbore in it and you are away.

Andy
      Originally posted by Coz
      Holds gun like a super sniper pro......Cries when wind blows his BB off course.
      http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...iping-tactics- sniping tactics thread.

Comment

Here's what I'd recommend if you are looking at going into it:-

Buy a new gearset. I'm almost positive standard gears will work, so that's good. Go for some torque up ones, why is below.
        Make sure these gears are shimmed well.
        Install metal bushings (not bearings) in replacement of the plastic ones.
        Install an M100 spring - don't go any higher than an M100 though.
        Shave down a few teeth on the piston and correct angle of engagement.

Use a whacking big 7.4v 5000mAh 30C battery in her or perhaps even a smaller, 20C 11.1v Lipo. With the new gears, AOE modification and good shimming, she'll run fine, but may shred the piston a little bit quicker, so you'll want to make sure AOE is spot on.

Reason for torque gears? The TM Famas' motor isn't replaceable. Full Stop. There's just no aftermarket motors. Now the EG560 motor has enough speed, but poor torque. Popping an M100 spring in there is somewhat going to slow the Rate of Fire. Furthermore, TM Famas' are prone to locking up a Semi Automatic. Therefore, you're going to want as much torque as possible to get you through the cycle as quickly as possible.

A tightbore barrel would also be nice, and coupled with an M100 (330fps) sring, a good airseal and a 6.03mm Madbull/ Prometheus tightbore, you'll be set for around 340fps.

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

I asume u have done this before gaffa

Comment

Actually, not all of this at all.

I've done that to other gearboxes, and as far as the V1 goes, what's terribly different about basic upgrade work?

I did a service and installed an M95 (think it was) spring in a friends TM Famas. Oops, that reminds me - need to phone him tomorrow regarding his Luger... Doh! Anyway, new spring went in along with a good shim job - but as he was paying for it all he didn't want costs to run too high.

If it was mine, I'd do all of what I'd stated. In fact, when I get my washers, I'm going to be doing AOE modifications on all of my guns. It's better!

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

Congratulations, you just mentioned a retailers name... I'll be sure to dish out the relevant punishment for that one...

They may stock replacement motors, but they are just the same as the original TM EG560. There are no aftermarket upgrade parts in the way of motors for the TM Famas... Trust me, I've looked. The only possibility is getting an RC Aircraft motor, but I always had problems finding one that would spin fast enough for the size...

Comment

laylax do a 'hard' piston for a ver.1 gearbox, but on a HK shop it says

Prometheus Hard Piston for Next Gen. Ver. 1 Gearbox

but then it says under it

- Suitable for Marui Next Gen. Ver. 1 Gearbox ( AK / G36 )

Comment

Originally posted by generalbaxter View Post
                  laylax do a 'hard' piston for a ver.1 gearbox, but on a HK shop it says

Prometheus Hard Piston for Next Gen. Ver. 1 Gearbox

but then it says under it

- Suitable for Marui Next Gen. Ver. 1 Gearbox ( AK / G36 )
                  What's the problem? The piston used in the V1 box is the same as any other anyway!

Comment

really

the photo of the piston looks strange

Comment

Aye, the piston head is different, but a normal piston head can be used.

Comment

gaffa, do you reckon it will be cool if i put a high torque gear set in it and an m100 spring in it just to boost fps, im just worried about the anti reversal latch going like it did on my old jp famas and you CAN NOT get hold of the antireversal latches anymore, do you think it will last with a m100? Or should i keep it stock and just put in a better piston head/o-ring, bit of pft tape and a tightbore?

Comment

I'd put an M100 in it as many other people have done!

Comment

would an in-line capacitor not help the motor get a bit more torque ? I also find that fitting stronger brush springs helps get a bit more out of older style motors. The ones for RC cars are around £2 to £3 for the strongest springs its worth it even if it only gets you a tiny bit of extra torque

I guess if you have a big lipo with a good c rating it is just one giant cap anyway
                            sigpic
                            Oh when will I get a decent knights stoner LMG aeg ?

P mags up for sale http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...encer-200mm-m4

Comment

but will the anti reversal latch manage an m100 and will it wear down? Also what are the gearbox lock ups down to?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

laurence Find out more about laurence
                              Working...
                              X