Serpa on vest or thigh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serpa on vest or thigh

Hi guys, I am currently running a LA special forces vest allowing me to run my serpa on the belt, which to me is a very fast draw and reholster and extremely comfortable.

However, I have just bought a new plate carrier that would not allow to carry on my belt and was wondering which is better/safer/easier out of mounting the serpa on a molle attatchment to my P/C or to buy the drop leg platform.

What are the pro's and cons of each and what are your experiences with the two types.

Thanks in advance.

Luke
    Last edited by minimi123246; 8 July, 2011, 20:30. Reason: Spelling

Re: Serpa on vest or thigh

In my experience drop leg is far easier to draw from. Depending on what kind of sling you use its quite easy to block off a PC mounted holster with your primary during the transition. Keep the molle space on your vest for something you're not gonna need to access so quickly.

Comment

If you're one for crawling through the undergrowth, the chest-mounted Serpa wouldn't suit your needs. I found holstering my pistol on my thigh to be very practical, it's easily reached, and a fairly fluid movement to bring it up into aim. However, thigh holsters can be a bit clunky, and they may slip down the thigh, and swing around if the tension buckle slips (and they tend to) which is really annoying after a while.
      Steyr AUG A1 & 6 mags and TBB for sale

Comment

all depends on if u like drop leg rigs I carnt get one with them I find they always move no matter how tight i make the straps. I mount my holster on my p/c but not on the front I mount to the right hand side of the side plate like a belt holster but just a bit higher up

Comment

Is your plate carrier too long, or just slightly in the way?

I've just bought an ex-ARV Bianchi belt holster and it's spaced out away from the belt by about an inch, leaving enough room for a PC.

Could you space yours?
          sigpic

Comment

I use both belt mounted with the jacket security loop or something and the chest mounted option too!

Comment

Originally posted by rockinrobin View Post
              Is your plate carrier too long, or just slightly in the way?

I've just bought an ex-ARV Bianchi belt holster and it's spaced out away from the belt by about an inch, leaving enough room for a PC.

Could you space yours?
              That could well be an option, the P/C is just too long as I run a glock 18, every time I draw it flicks the fire select from semi to safe but on fully automatic its fine, but quite impractical tbh. I will defo have a look at a spaced holster but dont want to spend too much as the blackhawk was a fair bit.

Comment

Originally posted by minimi123246 View Post
                That could well be an option, the P/C is just too long as I run a glock 18, every time I draw it flicks the fire select from semi to safe but on fully automatic its fine, but quite impractical tbh. I will defo have a look at a spaced holster but dont want to spend too much as the blackhawk was a fair bit.

To be honest, its worth the money. Buy the holster you need ( Glock 18 ) with a CQC adaptor, that way you can mount it on your: belt, molle platform and on a drop leg. I can vouch as I use the Blackhawk serpa 5-7 holster on a drop leg platform
                Originally posted by Tiercel
                The whole OMG LIPOS ARE LIKE MINI NUKES WAITING TO HAPPEN! LIPOS CAUSED HIROSHIMA! 9/11 WASNT A PLANE IT WAS ACTUALLY SOMEONE CHARGING A LIPO WITH A CHEAP CHARGER! thing is highly over exaggerated

Comment

I had this same issue. The top of my pistol grip kept getting caught on my rig. I had to lean to one side to draw my pistol smoothly. I store my
                  BFGs on my drop leg, so it's on my
                  Chest. Will let you know how it goes tomorrow after I've played with it!

Comment

I use it from the leg because I find it easier

Comment

i found on my chest it got in the way of my 3 point sling for my primary, so i was always unhooking it from the grip of the pistol etc. drop legs are ok but again, they can move and slip and then also pull your belt down which is even more anoying!

All my pistol holsters are for a belt mount, much easier imo.

WARNING. Post may contain traces of sarcasm. If you do not understand this, I pity your existence.

Comment

Well I had the day off today and had a play around, Ive now bought a molle mount of a fellow player and wearing my single point sling under my P/C with it coming out through my right arm hole, it is soooo sexy, the sling obviously doesnt get caught up and during the transition the rifle tucks in nicely on my right side and the draw is definately quick and not a unatural movement, so I will definately stick with it. I advise anyone thinking about this to at least try it out for more than a couple of minuites as at first I was unsure but after a few transitions, that was it and I dont really have to think about it any more.

Thanks for the help guys

Comment

I have on the left side of me on my belt grip forewards. I then bring my right hand across myself to draw the pistol. Its relatively fast draw and it keeps the pistol out the way so you can crawl. The only issues are what you do with you primary whilst you are doing this.
                          TAE

Comment

Had great success with having mine on my chest. Was much more comfortable to run, didn't have to worry about it flailing about an falling out, and was nice and easy to draw and out away. When dropping my rifle, on a two point sling I slung it down to my right and centre, rather than straight in front. Nice and easy to get the pistol out then

Comment

Yup, I tried mine out today too. Damn irregular sized loops on ACM molle vests make it difficult to mount properly, but I shall prevail!

However, on the vest that I did manage to attach it to, I was pleased with how comfortable it is, both just sitting there, and drawing and reholstering.
                              Steyr AUG A1 & 6 mags and TBB for sale

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

minimi123246 Find out more about minimi123246
                              Working...
                              X