Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Confused about Lubrication

Hello All,
    I posted a little query on this forum a week ago about which lubrication to use on the bolt of my Gas sniper. It was suggested to me that I use silicone lubrication but since being told this I have read that Silicone Lube is not a good idea on metal-metal parts making it unsuitable for this part.

I have checked a few threads on here and quite frankly I'm more confused than before. This is a fairly new gun of mine so i want to make sure I'm using the correct lubrication (which i will frequently re-apply after cleaning) to reduce wear.

I have some silicone lubricant spray which Im using for barrel cleaning and other lubrication but Im after something a bit more specific for the bolt.

Any suggestions?

Cheers everyone

Sonic Ninja
    sigpic

Re: Very Confused about Lubrication

For the bolt, people tell me to use White Lithium Grease... I may give it a try, but I'd also like to know, so this thread is to my interest

*glares furiously at screen waiting for more replies*
    sigpic

Comment

I use bicycle white lithium grease on my gears in gearboxes, but found it to be fine in the cylinder units. However, I do have some black abbey gun grease for those moving bits too.

But for metal on metal, white lithium grease.

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

I use white lithium grease for any metal on metal and it works superbly on the bolt of boltaction rifles as it lowers the friction gut doesn't turn to gunge

Comment

I have some white grease from G&P called 'Gear Grease'. No ingredients on the pot but reckon this would do the trick for the bolt?
          sigpic

Comment

may i just ask are you greasin the inner barrel:-( as you said you use silicone spray on it! No no no lube in or on the barrel near the hop unit etc lithium grease 4 metal on metal:-)

Comment

I'm pretty sure he's greasing the cylinder housing and the cylinder, you have to remember, it's a gas bolt action rifle, which is all away from the internals of the gun.
              sigpic

Comment

I have used silicone lube to clean the inner barrel after reading this thread...

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.p...le+maintenance

I'm yet to use anything on the bolt.
                sigpic

Comment

I use White lithium grease for all moving parts that are metal on metal contact points and silicon grease on rubber seals, I would recommend not buying the Airsoft branded stuff as you pay a premium for it, go to a local bike shop and buy White lithium pedal bearing grease, it's cheaper. If not a bike shop then halfords.
                  section 24 of the 1968 Act
                  Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                  1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                  2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

thanks for your help, does it matter if its in a spray can or does it need to be in a pot?

Cheers
                    sigpic

Comment

White lithium grease only comes in pot/tube form anyway, as for silicon grease on seals I use pot form which is a lot hardier!
                      section 24 of the 1968 Act
                      Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                      1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                      2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

ok, I found one called 'White Lithium Grease' which is a 3-in-1 type spray can. I'll get hold of some alternative stuff if this isnt suitable.
                        sigpic

Comment

Now Ive never used this stuff myself for airsoft but a friend of mine runs a joinery shop and he gets some kind of spray lube that`s a bit like silicone but its called something strange like ptafe spray or something its used to lube saw blades and metal on metal parts that are exposed to saw dust.

The point is that its an almost dry lube so it stops all the saw dust clinging to the metal parts, it could be good for airsoft metal parts as it would stop all the crud sticking to your metal on metal parts.

I`ll ask him what its called next time I see him
                          sigpic
                          Oh when will I get a decent knights stoner LMG aeg ?

P mags up for sale http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...encer-200mm-m4

Comment

I wouldnt use white grease on the external part of the bolt, i use silicone lube outside, and white grease inside

Originally posted by Metalbody
                            pulling one off certainly feels good

Comment

I was told not to use silicone lube on any metal-metal surfaces. There seems to be lots of dispute on this matter. Id rather not use anything that might cause wear but i also dont really want to be using cloggy white stuff (add lol's here).
                              sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

sonicninja Find out more about sonicninja
                              Working...
                              X