Recommend me a shotgun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me a shotgun

I'm yet to experience the world of shotties and am quite tempted by a tactical short(ish) variant.

After a tri-shot one as opposed to a single BB shooter - anyone recommend me a decent quality (metal as opposed to ABS) one?

ACM m500

Comment

Re: Recommend me a shotgun

After a tri-shot one as opposed to a single BB shooter - anyone recommend me a decent quality (metal as opposed to ABS) one?
      There are no Metal Tri-Shot springers, so a gas one would be your only option there. The TM ones are good though.

Comment

I had a TM SPAS 12 and it was wicked.

Comment

TM shottys are very good indeed!

Comment

Metal does not equate quality in the world of airsoft. I recommend a cheap DE M56, choose your variant as you see fit, the full stock with the short barrel is a really nice useable piece of kit. Ive had TM shotguns and found the performance and build quality to be the same as the DE, the TM shotguns have failed due to age and use rather than any inherent faults.
            If youre new to shotguns it would make sense to start with something inexpensive as theyre an aquired taste and your game style needs to come up a notch to make the kills. Its much harder making a shotgun kill in woodland for instance than with an aeg.
            http://www.youtube.com/user/BongoOldChap
            airsoft drone footage, games, shooting sunbeds, the usual airsoft youtube channel

Comment

Originally posted by bongooldchap View Post
              Its much harder making a shotgun kill in woodland for instance than with an aeg.
              But it's SO much more satisfying:D

The gas M500s are fantastic, but they need a little tweaking before they'll run reliably, especially the ACM version. Once it was set up right my ACM would hold gas for weeks at a time, but it took a careful (though not technically difficult) rebuild to get it to that stage. Before that it would slowly leak gas, so I carried a can with me in a water bottle pouch and topped up the gas when I thought I might get into a firefight.

If you go for the 6mm version they carry 150 BBs, which should be enough to either win the fight or send you off to the dead zone to re-bomb. At 5 BBs per trigger pull down a single barrel, they cut through the bushes far more effectively than an AEG does, but don't give the clssic shotgun spread like a tri-barrel does at short range.

A TM/DE tri-barrel should work well out of the box. I had an early SPAS 12 and it was a great gun, but racking the slide is hard work and nowhere near as fast as a gas shotty (where there's only a trigger spring to cock) in a firefight. They don't hold as many rounds as a gas one either, but are faster to reload with the shells and you don't need to carry gas.

It's horses for courses really. Gas will give you a FAR bigger grin and, when set up right, I believe is far more effective but can be temperamental and need some work. Spring won't be metal, but you can use it reliably from day one .

If you're unsure, I'd suggest the DE in full stock with either the short barrel for CQB and crawling around the bushes easier, or long barrel as it looks a lot cooler IMHO. I'd avoid the tactical stock version unless you've got a VERY long allen key, as the stock can come loose and it's a PITA to sort.

If the shotgun bug bites, you can always get a gas one later.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rockinrobin View Post
                But it's SO much more satisfying:D
                I'd avoid the tactical stock version unless you've got a VERY long allen key, as the stock can come loose and it's a PITA to sort.
                This is the version Im currently using, quite true, I took mine off completely and am using it stockless at the moment.

And yes getting woodland kills with a shotgun is very satisfying
                http://www.youtube.com/user/BongoOldChap
                airsoft drone footage, games, shooting sunbeds, the usual airsoft youtube channel

Comment

Originally posted by bongooldchap View Post
                  And yes getting woodland kills with a shotgun is very satisfying
                  I ran my gas one as my primary at the '09 weekender. Great weekend and I found how much easier it is to hit people through bushes with one.

I did the maths once and (from memory) it works out something along the lines of 5 BBs exiting the barrel within 1/50th of a second. Tri-barrels fire more like a classic shotty cartridge, whereas a gas one fires more like you're shooting slug rounds.
                  sigpic

Comment

I have used the TM spas 12 on a fair few occasions, performance wise, it's reliable as hell, easy to use, pretty accurate for a shotty and looks mint. However, cocking can become tiresome after a while, and if your hands/gloves/the forgrip are wet or greasy, it's near impossible to cock. It's also massively front heavy.! As others have said, I'd definitely try a cheaper option first.! It I pretty mint getting a shotgun kill, however it's more satisfying getting LOADS more with an AEG. Also, you are useless if asked to give surpressing fire.

All this of course, just my opinion
                    “A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

Comment

The TM SPAS12 is a lovely shotty, its less like a shotgun and more like a 3 barreled sniper rifle though! The accuracy and range on it is stunning, the amount of times people just look shocked and say "but its only a shotgun, I thought I was well out of range..."

However it is hard as hell to cock, I put some sticky grip tape on the foregrip and that helped a lot.

Im tempted by an ACM M500 but cant seme to find a 6mm version anywhere, only the 8mm and my local doesnt allow 8mms

Comment

Well, I'm glad I treated myself to a SPAS12 now. I might take it with me on Sunday!

Comment

TM SPAS12 FTW....
                          concur with the previous comments on them
                          i've also got a DE M56

- the DE is alot harder to 'pump' due to the stiffer springs, which can fatigue your arm after a while

- the TM SPAS12 is easier going and has better range/accuracy. i cut the (outer) barrels down on mine to make it a bit better for CQB.

i added some grip tape on mine too
                          h e y d r i c h
                          L T F S

tm ngrs scar l | tm ngrs ak102 | g&g arp556 | g&g arp9 | tm spas12 | we xdm | well mp7

Comment

Spas12 for the win! I love it sooo much as a "go mental gun". However I am a little miffed that the cocking is a pain... i must source some gripping aid. Or my hands slip right off after a mag or two. Especially with bb's flying around your ears, it can get rather nerve racking xD
                            sigpic

Comment

the tri shots are a good starter shotty .I'd steer to a short benelli rather than a spas or long benelli as the performance is the same through out the tri-shot family. The benellis feel more solid ,and are easier to cock too. The m500's are a pain but fun as said ,so not a good starter shotty.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Fitch Find out more about Fitch
                              Working...
                              X