Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lipo safe level advice

Hi guys,
    Ok so I have a 7.4 2200 split type lipo in my sa80 ris front end.
    There's literally no room in there at all for a lipo alarm and I'm worried about discharging the battery too far.
    I know people say as soon as the ROF drops off a bit but when using lipos in my other guns to be honest I don't notice a ROF drop before the alarm sounds.
    So, I have a lipo power indicator which I can plug in between games to check how much juice is left, what kind of level should I look for to stop using the battery?
    Cheers
    G&P L119A1 classic look ASCU / G&P L119A1 modern look / WE CO2 1911 / DBoys Kar98 / S&S Lee Enfield SMLE

Re: Lipo safe level advice

I believe you dont want any of the cells to drop below 3v.

If you have two lipos then just change it over at lunch and youll be fine (thats what i do with my smaller lipos)
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dead_Fred View Post
      I believe you dont want any of the cells to drop below 3v.

If you have two lipos then just change it over at lunch and youll be fine (thats what i do with my smaller lipos)
      Yeah that's what I do if I'm using my other shooters but this one a) only have one battery that fits in there at the mo and b) it's a nightmare to get the battery out

So when this one goes down I put it away and grab an m4!

3v per cell that's cool cheers, I'll monitor it, like I say I usually swap guns at lunch anyway so pretty sure I'm safe for half days play
      G&P L119A1 classic look ASCU / G&P L119A1 modern look / WE CO2 1911 / DBoys Kar98 / S&S Lee Enfield SMLE

Comment

Can't you mount the alarm on the outside?it may look a bit naff but it'll work.....

Comment

Mate a 2200mah lipo should last even the most trigger happy hicap user all day.
          I can just about make an 1100mah lipo last the day but always take 2 anyway just in case, and swap out at lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by tisane View Post
            Mate a 2200mah lipo should last even the most trigger happy hicap user all day.
            I can just about make an 1100mah lipo last the day but always take 2 anyway just in case, and swap out at lunch.
            Yeah I agree mate but reason I'm paranoid, I used a 7.4 2100 in my LSW a couple of weeks back, it was fully charged but the alarm went off about 2 hours into the games! I'd probably fired about 500 rounds......
            I know a battery that size should last much longer, a knackered battery do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by snuff View Post
              Can't you mount the alarm on the outside?it may look a bit naff but it'll work.....
              Thought about this, because it's a split battery, one half is below the barrel, the other above, there's not enough wiring there to route it outside the ris unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by Mike581 View Post
                Yeah I agree mate but reason I'm paranoid, I used a 7.4 2100 in my LSW a couple of weeks back, it was fully charged but the alarm went off about 2 hours into the games! I'd probably fired about 500 rounds......
                I know a battery that size should last much longer, a knackered battery do you think?
                Was it going off constantly or just when you pulled the trigger?

Its not so much the couple of beeps you get when you pull the trigger that should concern you its when your not pulling the trigger and its still beeping.

If that battery was beeping constantly after just 2hrs then you were either making BB snow or its not fully charged for some reason.

How big is your lipo alarm too?

I use that one and i can get that into my M4s RIS with no problem at all.

Comment

Yeah it was a constant beep, I hadn't fired that many rounds but was on the LSW **** ******* so was doing fairly long bursts!
                  Lipo alarm is about the same as yours, it's my real steel sa80 DD ris you see, so no space!

Comment

The beeping got on my nervse so I stopped using themI use 1600's(x2) either in 2 guns per day or swap at lunch..but I'm moving to 2200's as soon as they arrive..:D

Comment

You can revive a dead lipo by givin it a quick nimh charge whilst keeping an eye on it. the balance it after. i dont bother with alarms but ive never had a lipo die on me never to work again. people worry too much about them tbh.
                      sigpic

Comment

I've managed to run one of the cells to about 2.9v (so the gun stopped running) a couple of times and they charged fine when I got home.
                        sigpic

Comment

Modern Lipo's are much hardier than the cells from a few years ago. We have started putting Lipo's in hire guns and so far test's on the cells are very encouraging.

If you buy decent batteries and a decent charger you will have to be quite unlucky to completely ruin a battery. If you don't trust the alarm then you could always use the LED readout units then you can simply look and see what your cells are doing. PM me if you want one I have a few spare I can swap or some coinage

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Mike581 Ex Forces Find out more about Mike581
                          Working...
                          X