Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox cracked

Hello,

I noticed 2 partial hairline cracks on my v2 gearbox, 1 is from the front bottom end of the cylinder to the corner of the gearbox, no cracking on the underside yet, the other is from the front top corner of the cylinder and is cracking along the edge towards the front, but it has not reached all the way yet. This is on one half of the shell, the other half is fine.

Is there a way to fill/repair these cracks so they don't crack further?

Thanks.

Re: Gearbox cracked

Not sure about repairing the shell but would reccomend buying a new one of zero one as from what i know a version 2 gearbox has the same shell as a version 2 shell, but im sure if you look on zero one you will find one but email them first:D

Comment

Originally posted by x-ray View Post
      Not sure about repairing the shell but would reccomend buying a new one of zero one as from what i know a version 2 gearbox has the same shell as a version 2 shell, but im sure if you look on zero one you will find one but email them first:D
      What happens if i buy a new one and that cracks also? Is there a brand that makes a virtually indestructible gearbox shell so i don't need to worry about future cracks? I heard that modify torus ones were good.

Comment

What make is the cracked gearbox? If you've got a very high power spring in there then I would imagine that getting a really high end CNC'd casing might be worthwhile, but otherwise a standard shell should be fine.

Comment

I dont have any experience of torus but i know aimtop is normally very good

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...04ed4e685036ec

also what gun/model/make is it

Comment

Id just geta new gear box!!!

how the hell did you crack that thing?
            FOR SALE
            7" Magpul ERGO free float ris, 7" larue ff ris,
            , multicam pistol pouch, ACM pistol fast bags.

Comment

Originally posted by x-ray View Post
              I dont have any experience of torus but i know aimtop is normally very good

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...04ed4e685036ec

also what gun/model/make is it
              It's a CA, can they handle m120 springs reliably in the long term?

Originally posted by Decho View Post
              What make is the cracked gearbox? If you've got a very high power spring in there then I would imagine that getting a really high end CNC'd casing might be worthwhile, but otherwise a standard shell should be fine.
              The make is CA as mentioned and i was using a madbull m120 spring, i thought that was a mid range spring?

Originally posted by ElZer0 View Post
              Id just geta new gear box!!!

how the hell did you crack that thing?
              No idea, i just opened my gun after about 20k-25k rounds and i noticed a partial crack.

Comment

CA are by far not the best for gearbox casings. Your best bet would be a Modify Taurus gearbox. Or a Guarder with sorbo on your piston head

Comment

If the gearbox casing is cracked then I am afraid that's it. It will definitely get worse and if it lets go during a game not only will you be without a gun but it could damage the internal parts.

You can either buy a new shell and rebuild the gearbox or buy a complete replacement and swap it out.

An M120 spring is probably to hot for most sites anyway.

No one makes an indestructible V2 gearbox but the Modify box's come pretty close.

Comment

i would go with a new shell then simple thing to do

Comment

Virtually all V2 gearboxes crack there, its down to the design. (CNC'd ones from billet ali excepted) The square corners where the cylinder protrudes don't help. On a new casing you need to use a thin round Swiss file to radius the corners, This may extend the casings life.
                      Unfortunately you can't repair the cracks, even with an ali fusion weld such as Techweld.

Comment

I shall get a modify torus gearbox shell then, thank you all for the feedback

Comment

Welcome to the world of a typical V2 fail point, there is a mod that can be done but requires drilling, all it is is small holes drilled on the corners at the front of the gearbox wear the cylinder gap is, all it does is dispperses the load over the whole front of the gearbox. Its all to do with metal fatigue around the square edges, just look at what caused the dehavilland Comets to fall out of the sky, square windows and metal fatigue.
                          Get a new shell, thats all that can be done.
                          Ive had one shell do it now.
                          section 24 of the 1968 Act
                          Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                          1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                          2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

get some sorbo pads from midas. they seem to stop the gearbox having those faults.
                            The Gear Box Destroyer

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Detox Find out more about Detox
                            Working...
                            X