Things i need for airsoft...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things i need for airsoft...

hey guys im planning to start airsoft, i have chosen my gun and just wondering what things i need to start, can you please send links from the zero one site of the essentials and extras, thanks

my gun: http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=5776

Re: Things i need for airsoft...

Looks good on the gun front. I told my brother when he started "dont start with a really expensive gun as you'll probably break it"
    - Goggles are very important! Get mesh or polycarb lenses - http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/index.php?cPath=287
    - Gun batteries and mags for it if you havent =P - http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=6075
    - Optics? A lot of people like to use red dots ect. - http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/index....17034c831711b7
    - You got uniform - uniform is just clothes. Doesnt have to be DPMs. Depends on how you want to look
    - boots right? Boots are very important!
    - You might want something to carry it all in. I.e. plate carrier or tactical vest?
    - Kit bag?

The list is endless if you ask for "extras"
    Kiran Payne
    TM P226 Custom, TM SAI G34, WE SRU G17, WE SAI M&P 9mm, WE SRU Apache XDM IPSC, KWA Kriss Vector Hard Recoil, TM HK416 Recoil
    Looking for another TM G17 and a TM M870

sigpic

Comment

Minimum?

Gun (including battery, mag and BBs), clothes, eye protection.

Gun you've got sorted.

Clothes you can pick up from a surplus store for a few quid, or you can visit matalan type places and go for green/brown/black clothes just as cheap. I've seen enough experienced players getting hit by rentals wearing jeans and a brightly coloured hoody to say camoflage is 100% needed. Decent footwear, though, is essential. A decent set of boots will turn a potential break into a sprain, a sprain into a twist and a twist into nothing at all (as they say in the Dragon Valley briefing). Don't skimp on the cost of boots, though you can always get a pair of ex-issue boots from a surplus store pretty cheap.

Eye protection is the other thing you can't mess with. Buy the best you can afford and if you can't afford anything other than a cheap pair off the market, miss a game. You've only got two eye and they can't be replaced. I used to tell people in H&S briefings that you can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye!

Other than that, buy a nice bottle of wine for your missus and a decent bottle of scotch for your bank manager, you'll want both to be on-side.
      sigpic

Comment

Sensible suggestions please guys, the OP is asking for assistance not stupid (though funny) links.

Any more will also be removed and potentially lead to infractions etc.
        sigpic

Comment

I am sure you can get a decent pair of lenses (eye protection) from Z1 for £20 or from a very famous internet auction site *cough*cough*
          As Robin said though - DONT CHEAP OUT
          Kiran Payne
          TM P226 Custom, TM SAI G34, WE SRU G17, WE SAI M&P 9mm, WE SRU Apache XDM IPSC, KWA Kriss Vector Hard Recoil, TM HK416 Recoil

sigpic

Comment

As S3V3R said,

First priority are:

Goggles/Glasses
            You only have two eyes, and you don't want to loose them. It's vital that you get the best that you can afford. Don't take any shortcuts. Ask around on the forum to see what goggles are best for you're price range.

Boots.
            You will need a decent pair of military grade/hiking boots, you'll be surprised on how many sprained ankles you will get with out a decent pair.

Clothes/Kit.
            Down dv one day some kid was wearing luminescent motocross gear. He stood out from miles away. Simple DPM will do the trick. Look around zero one and these forums, you'll be sure to find some trousers and a top/jacket.

Optional extras

Assault Vest.
            These are pretty handy for storing small gear, maybe some Allen keys for a field repair, spare magazines, ammo, a quick snack and they can hold water bladders (drinking plenty of water is vital! I would look into getting a hydration bladder). Also they do dampen the hits if you are close range.

Face mesh.
            Call me a "sis" but face meshes prove to be a tooth saver. A bb could easily knock a tooth out, so it is pretty handy to keep on of these aside just in case.

Optics.
            This can be a yes or a no. Personally i dislike using optics with my guns, I will only use a scope when sniping or providing information on the enemies.

Radio Communication.
            Radios are brilliant for airsofting, if you are going with a group of mates, get them (and yourself) to chip in for a decent radio kit. It's great for letting your team mates get updated with your current position, objective or even vital information on the enemies whereabouts!

Side arm.
            This may seem to be stupid, but hell this can save your life. Your primaries battery fail's, the motor burns out.. you name it. What do you do? Call yourself off? No just whip out the trusty sidearm.

Gun bag.
            You know what happens if you're caught driving down the motorway with a R.I.F/I.F in your back seat and someone catches a glimpse. You'll have the whole squadron on your behind. Using a Gun bag is advised to keep it hidden from the public, and they can also protect your gun from unwanted bumps and scratches.

Kit bag.
            Don't turn up to the game with tesco bags full of your gear.
            Get a kit bag. You most likely have one laying around the house somewhere. It makes everything a lot easier!

Hope this helps, and welcome to airsoft!

(I know it seems like a lot of things to buy, but they do pay off.)

To find these things have a look on zeroone or zeroin forums. If you look elsewhere and find something, contact zero one, they'll beat the price!

Comment

Originally posted by cactus View Post
              Face mesh.
              Call me a "sis" but face meshes prove to be a tooth saver. A bb could easily knock a tooth out, so it is pretty handy to keep on of these aside just in case.
              3 months ago I would have called you a pansy for wearing face mesh however,
              I was playing at UCAP virus and got shot in the tongue. a couple of cm either way and I could have lost a tooth and been shot point blank in the face...
              Now I always wear facemesh in CQB!
              Kiran Payne

sigpic

Comment

Eye protection - mesh glasses, goggles and mask - try heroshark - google it, one of the best there is.

Boots - look around, surplus stores are good or try local military type stores/camping/walking shop

Clothing - whatever you want or like

Personal opinion would be to buy the best kit you can afford, rather than buy cheap and keep replacing it

Good luck and enjoy!!

M
                'Old school wood and steel, thats the way they were built in the good times!'

Comment

I find a bottle of water helps, just in case you get thirsty. An if you do get an assault vest a camel pack works brilliantly. Don't forget eye protection. No one can stress enough how important eye protection is.
                  Einstein said Maths doesnt exist, its just our minds trying to make sense of the universe.

Comment

I'd not consider a gun bag as "optional", Cactus.
                    If your gun is small, like a P90, you could carry it in a kit bag, but for "long guns", a dedicated bag or hard case is essential. Bags are obviously cheaper. Zero One's "in-stock" range seems a bit limited...

Comment

The best thing is to not over think it. Keep it simple to start with.
                      I feel or hope I can say very few of us had the money to get everything that has been listed in one go.
                      The main item is the gun to start off with a battery, also the face protection of some sort.
                      If you have dark clothes you can get away with that, to save some money.
                      Then it is a simple thing to work your way to the extra bits as you play into your new hobby.

Everyone is different, however I started with a cheap gun and a mesh mask. Over the months could then upgrade to combat clothes and a side pistol etc.
                      Sig by Kodiak

In memory to the old team, Trojans.
                      Now part of Snow Leopards.

Comment

After the obvious essentials listed above (Eye protection, Footwear, spare mags etc) I have found that my vest is my most essential bit of kit. Not having somewhere to carry mags, BB's, Water etc would proper do my head in. Nothing worse than having to trek back to the safe zone to reload/drink or whatever. I saved for a good vest before I bothered with the rest of my clothing. £8 Primarni combats and a sweatshirt did me for starters!!

Comment

Gun bag is an essential imo. You may find loads of stuff is "out of stock" right now due to them taking it out of the system for the weekender.

I've also noticed nobody has mentioned a charger! You'll need one to charge your batteries. I personally prefer any charger with a delta peak detection as this saves calculating charge times etc, though it is still good to be aware of these things when starting out
                          Turnigy Accucel 6 is very well featured for the money and will give you Li-Po charge abilities for the future. Though this is not available through Zero One.

For my first game I would say you probably want the following:

Gun

Gun Bag

Battery

Charger to charge battery before the game

Goggles/Mask. - This is really important, I'd also say lower face mesh is a good idea, or at a minimum gum shield. I found a gumshield to be uncomfortable though. YMMV

Good boots. - You are using these all day. Ill fitting and uncomfortable boots will ruin your day

Comfortable clothing in subdued colours that's easy to move in. - This could be a nice cheap set of DPM (readily available at army surplus stores for not a lot of dough), or a set of cargo pants and a t-shirt. Up to you really, but the DPM will help you feel like you "fit in"

Water carrying system - This could be a bottle of water that fits in your pocket or on a belt, or a camelbak type system. Doesn't have to cost the earth but has to carry water. Dehydration in the field, especially one as large as GZ is BAD!
                          In smaller sites or those that break between games this isn't so much of an issue.

Spare mag - This is optional, but recommended. If you get DPM with a jacket, you can shove it in your pocket. The jackets have nice zipable pockets. Webbing won't be needed until you know that you enjoy the game.
                          This does however depend on how trigger happy you are. I found in my first few woodland games, especially at GZ, I could go a day on 600 rounds easily.

That will get you through your first few games and you can always buy more later

Comment

I'd say some sort of face protection is essential. There's pretty much nothing on my face that I wouldn't mind getting hit by a BB - lips, nose, teeth, tongue, ears... I use one of these:

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=5998

In woodland and CQB. And a hat.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone and i am looking forward to get started :D

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Matthewck Find out more about Matthewck
                              Working...
                              X