Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Propylene gas?

Originally posted by Kagedwolf View Post
    So nothing too serious or dangerous then... like microwaving a g17 mag full of gas to warm it up?
    no not too bad , may loose a hand is all

Comment

*g18 one of the 50rnd ones that are £50... It still works great, except it need a new o ring.
      -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
      -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Originally posted by jonny lovegrove View Post
        *g18 one of the 50rnd ones that are £50... It still works great, except it need a new o ring.
        bit off topic.. which g18 do you have? I have the TM GBB one..

EDIT:

Nevermind... Seen it... Made me physically sick.
        Last edited by Kagedwolf; 12 September, 2011, 17:14.
        sigpic

Comment

I can tell you that he only ever ran the WEm14 on propelyne in winter as even propane was cooling downin mags and not working. I would NOT recomend using it in anything bar v cold weather as the high pressure does damage the npas making it much harder to adjust. Also propelyne will wear your mag seals as i know chris has 2 mags blow seals when using it.

Comment

I would guess that main reason he uses this gas is they play in Scotland. Check out the other videos on their site. Most of the time its snowing on the vids so I imagine sub zero temps. That rifle will go over 450 fps with green gas fairly easily I would imagine so you will need the npas or a good selection of different gases to make it site legal.

Comment

propylene as stated is mapp gas in a yellow canister, and is sold in b&q next to the benzomatic blue propane canisters.
              it is designed for brazing in cold weather ,but airsoft sights ive seen it mentioned on say not to use it as it destroys rubber seals due to the additives it uses.
              m14/l1a1/thompson/sten/sig552/kac pdw/svd/l85a2/mp40/m16vn/car15/type56/mac10/scorpion/m79/m1 carbine/m60vn/stoner63/vfc bar/xm177e2/grease gun/ar57/m1911/uzi/aksu/mp5 b&t/ppsh41/mpl/diy sog rpd/acm m500/galil/

Comment

As mentioned above, Propylene should only ever be used when it's REALLY cold. I used it in my WE 1911a1, and it worked great in sub zero temps, BUT when it started to warm up, I carried on using it, wrecking the front end of the gun. I would suggest that you try Propane first, and only have Propylene as a back up if it gets so cold that Propane won't work. It's the stuff that comes in a cream coloured can.

Wouldn't use B&Q for Propylene or Propane, not when you can get them from plumbers merchants for far less cash.

Comment

if you google the data sheets, it states its a mix of lpg and an acetylene based additive but is incompatible with natural rubbers
                  m14/l1a1/thompson/sten/sig552/kac pdw/svd/l85a2/mp40/m16vn/car15/type56/mac10/scorpion/m79/m1 carbine/m60vn/stoner63/vfc bar/xm177e2/grease gun/ar57/m1911/uzi/aksu/mp5 b&t/ppsh41/mpl/diy sog rpd/acm m500/galil/

Comment

Hey, this is probably a very late reply, majorly missed the bandwagon :D but having an interest in this very same subject myself (most likely due to the self same "scoutthedoggie/ daedelus" interview) I have researched the matter of propylene vs propane/ green gas extensively. I thought you may all be interested in the results of said research.

Firstly, none of these tests were performed by myself. I am merely colecting and compiling the data.

FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT POINT: WARNING!! Regarding Propylene: *"on the data sheets is a lower ignition temperature and a lower stability. Inside a pressurized container that doesn't matter. In open air (and inside your gun's blowback mech) it means it's easier to catch on fire (a lit cigarette won't ignite propane, propene I don't know about). It also means it will oxidize with metals, so you may find rust-like build up on the barrel and other metal parts the gas comes into regular contact with."

Second point: this is now the test data and results: "*tested with 2 mags, one with propane and one with propylene, a couple of different ways. I don't have a chrono handy, so I did the PMC to get a range. I tested using my TM P226 with .2g bios and with .25g bios. The temp outside tonight was in the low 70s, and I let both mags warm for 10 minutes prior to each test, and they felt room temp to the touch.

On the PMC, propane puts it right around 290fps, which is confirmed by prior chrono results with that gun. The propylene put it at 340fps+, and I'd guess based on the feel of it that it was right around 350fps.

The kick with propylene was noticeably harder, enough that I think using it full time when it's >70F might cause wear that propane normally would not. Unless your gun is designed for CO2, propylene seems like it would damage the parts that take impact during a cycle. Personally, I wouldn't use it when the temps are above 60F.

The cool down, or lack thereof, was interesting. Normally when I rapid fire a full mag the magazine is cold (not just cool) to the touch, and the pressure drops noticeably toward the end of the mag. With propylene, there was no noticeable drop in pressure, and the mag was barely cool to the touch.*

My thought, after trying it, is that during winter when gas guns are problematic, using propylene might be a good way to be able to use your pistol effectively. Between the lack of significant cool down and the higher pressure, performance should approximate that of propane during >70F weather. Using it when it's warmer, however, is not advisable."

I hope this information is useful gentlemen.

Regards
                    Azrael

Comment

Problem is I can't for the life of me find any propylene.. Who makes cans that I can use for airsoft? I presume you can use standard propane adapters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Comment

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberg...FcuWtAodokoAEg

And standard Propane adaptors work with MAPP/Propylene too.

Comment

Awesome thanks Tisane! I'll pick some up on the way home from work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Already a user of Propylene, and a massive fan!

The rothenberger Mapp Pro is kickass - was using it at a night game on tues, propane was getting sluggish towards the end of a mag, propene was just romping along on full auto :D
                            Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Nomad Find out more about Nomad
                            Working...
                            X