Zeroing a scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zeroing a scope

Can anyone please tell me the best method for zeroing a scope on a sniper rifle. I have a 25 meter garden which has high fences so the wind isnt to bad. Im sure there is a good method out there so if anyone could tell me that would be great.

Thanks

CA M15A4 CQB
    TM M.E.U
    KSC Mac 11
    Warrior G22

Re: Zeroing a scope

Umm, Get a carboard box or some sort of carboard and aim and shoot and adjust on the carboard box until the scope is fully zeroed. But 25m aint much so you should try zero it at your local game site with longer distances.
    Hope this helps

G&P M4A1 Mariiiiine

Comment

On most scopes there are two drums that can be adjusted, one is for UP/DOWN and the other is for RIGHT/LEFT.

Set up a target at 25m since you have the range to do so, assume the prone (lying down) position (most stable firing position).
      Fire five controlled shots at the target, aiming at the centre. Check to see where the grouping (where the shots have hit) is.
      If they have hit, for example bottom right of the target adjust, UP and LEFT a little bit. Rinse and repeat until your shots are on target.

Do not do as one person I know did, he put his sniper rifle in a vice and fired thousands of bb's at a target and wondered why it wasnt zeroed. The rifle needs to be used while zeroing as its vitally important due to it being zeroed to your eyes.

Comment

Only one thing to add to the advice above, you could set it up to shoot higher than your aim point. This will allow for drop at a longer range and speed up zeroing when you get to a site. Obviously, get the left-right adjustment as good as you can now.

Don't forget to make sure you are holding the weapon perfectly upright, or the hop will make the BB fly to the side.
        sigpic

Comment

By controlled shots I mean that your taking your time and your breathing is regulated.

"It is essential for the firer to get his breathing correct prior to firing. the most natural time is that of "natural respiratory pause". this is the point when the firer has exhaled two-thirds of his lung capacity and has reached the natural pause in the breathing cycle, and is at his most relaxed. this period lasts only a few seconds but can be extended to up to about eight seconds before the lack of oxygen will degrade the eyesight and induce discomfort and tension into the firer, affecting the stability of his position.
          This natural pause is the obvious point at which to release the shot and should also be used to perfect the aim, prior to taking two deep breaths to test and adjust the position before the moment of release. When breathing, the correct point of aim will lead to the cross hairs moving up and down over the target, with the point of aim being achieved at the natural pause."

Marksmanship Principles
          1) The position and hold must be firm enough to support the weapon.
          2) The weapon must point naturally at the target without any undue effort.
          3) The sight picture must be correct.
          4) The shot must be released and followed through without disturbance to the position.

Comment

Tbh I also think its the rifle I got. Its a cheapish one so cant expect it to be massively great. Tho I am in the process of making it more accurate. I will try the above comments and see how I get on.

Thanks guys

CA M15A4 CQB
            TM M.E.U
            KSC Mac 11
            Warrior G22

Comment

First, set the hop loosely, then ajust the scope in to about right, finalise the hop, and get the scope perfect. Each step depends on the previous one. If you can use a fixed position, like a vice to hold the gun, its even better.

Comment

Heya,

Here's a nice trick you could try. If your weapon is pretty consistent with accuracy you need only fire a few rounds but...

Clamp the rifle in a vice (work mate would be great), look down your scope and get it roughly pointing at a sheet of paper or card or whatever. Fire a few rounds but DONT MOVE THE RIFLE!

Now, having moved nothing, adjust the scope so the cross hairs fit over the shots in the paper. If the grouping is quite large, take a best guess.

Comment

I should also point out, the vice is to hold the gun very still, you should still try and position yourself as if you were holding it or looking through the scope naturally.

Comment

set a target up and fire a shot at it useing the scope. watch the the round and make a not where it hits on the target before changing the x/y axies, and fire at the target again and repeating the prosess again. you can easly spend an hour do this. after you get more or less there shot on, just fine tune it.
                    Santa *creepy kiss* xXx

Comment

I have used this method before on airguns, however, if you have a great deal of recoil ( if it's a springer ) then, you should simply fire it bench-rested, on a cushion/bean bag and shoot naturally, as this is how you will be using it in the field.

Fire a group of 3-5 shots, by aiming in the same place each time (don't aim for the group after each shot), then adjust your scope accordingly. I always adjust the windage (left and right) first until you are on the bore-line, then you can simply adjust the up or down (elevation) to your desired range.

Hope that helps/makes sense.

Jonathan

Originally posted by Fallout View Post
                      Heya,

Here's a nice trick you could try. If your weapon is pretty consistent with accuracy you need only fire a few rounds but...

Clamp the rifle in a vice (work mate would be great), look down your scope and get it roughly pointing at a sheet of paper or card or whatever. Fire a few rounds but DONT MOVE THE RIFLE!

Now, having moved nothing, adjust the scope so the cross hairs fit over the shots in the paper. If the grouping is quite large, take a best guess.
                      Trader Feedback

Comment

There you go Aaron, the power of combined knowledge! Now you should be able to take f@&kers out at range with no trouble at all :p

Comment

As a few others have mentioned, before you even touch the scope make sure the hop is set otherwise its pointless.

Also make sure you use the correct weight bb's you intend to use when setting the hop.

My feed back
                          http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9280

Comment

/me starts taking bets for how many times the same advice can be given in a topic.

Comment

Hmm I take it that was directed at me?

Originally posted by Leon_London View Post
                              As a few others have mentioned
                              I thought that part would of given that away? I guess not.

My feed back
                              http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9280

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Aaron Find out more about Aaron
                              Working...
                              X