Absolute Noob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolute Noob

Hello people, i am a complete noob to all of this airsoft business! Basically i got to work today and some of the lads had their airsoft stuff! One pistol and a Scar! Had a feel of them both and was in love! Didnt even know this exsisted! So ive been researching all night pretty much and this is what ive got so far. I would also like some advice on some other stuff aswell.

So im going to find my local centre and get a few days on my belt; if what i read is correct i need three days doing it then can apply for my license i need to buy the guns. Which i will just borrow the centers guns.

When i get this i am looking to get a nice pistol, im very fond of the M1911 type pistol and like the glocks but like i said im a complete noob with guns really (barr Call of duty LOL!) What pistol would people recommend for a starter? Money isnt too much of an issue unless its stupid money £120+ish. Whats the best type of firing mechanism; Electric? Gas blowback? what do you need to buy with both battery and gas? attatchments for the gun? Do you need cases to carry these weapons too and from games? if so if i bought new would the manufacter supply a budget case or somthing to that nature?

Would people recomend getting a SMG like a MP5? or start with a pistol? Which way round would people reccomend for a starter?

Would type of guns are good? i felt a metal replica and loved the feel i would rather this than say plastic? (again i doubt they would have plastic?)

Any information regarding basic prices for PPE and for games and good accessories for the kit ect?

Thanks in advanced! Sam

Re: Absolute Noob

1. get the three games under your belt
    2. try as many guns as possible, gas and electric and make your decision on what you like after the three games
    3. mp5's are good place to start, as well as basic m4's, end of the day, its what ever feels comfortable with you
    4. metal feel more realistic, but plastic are cheaper to get and weighs less
    5. best bits of kit, decent boots, decent trousers, something to carry water in whilst you play

best advice i can give there
    Originally posted by Fenriz
    Hicaps are as bad as two-tone. Or rape.

Comment

Originally posted by riddick 1811 View Post
      1. get the three games under your belt
      2. try as many guns as possible, gas and electric and make your decision on what you like after the three games
      3. mp5's are good place to start, as well as basic m4's, end of the day, its what ever feels comfortable with you
      4. metal feel more realistic, but plastic are cheaper to get and weighs less
      5. best bits of kit, decent boots, decent trousers, something to carry water in whilst you play

best advice i can give there
      Thank you buddy, i will do as many as i can! What do you prefere, gas or electric? what are the pros and cons other than you stated?. Do you think that i should start with a pistol or a SMG/Rifle first?

Yes i really liked the metal feel, i held a rep metal scar and it wasnt too heavy, i could cope easily enough.

I was looking at some bear grylls style trousers they seem very heavy duty, bit pricey though! have a nice shirt from his range aswell!. Thanks for your input

Comment

loadsa questions lol

Firstly welcome.

1. It isnt just three games and youre on - its three games in a specific time period. You need to imvestigate this.
        2. I got a rifle first (m4) then later got a pistol. Electric M4 and a gas Glock is pretty much a safe combination to start with.
        3. To start with an electric rifle (you'll need a battery or two and a charger) and a gas pistol (you'll need gas) nd for both you'll need BB's.
        4. Don't worry about getting loads of attachments. You can do this as time goes on. The guns are as accurate as you'll need the to be with standard 'iron sights'
        5. A case would be a splendid idea.
        6. Metal stands up to the rough and tumble. Plastic pistols can be better to start with as they operate better in low temperatures due to the mechanicals being lighter.
        7. PPE - facemask and glasses/goggles and a decent pair of boots. I started off playing in trackie bottoms.

Finally, walk before you run. Buy what you can afford to start off with then improve over time. Dont spend your budget on lots of lower priced bits just to have it all at once. Take your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Welshy23 View Post
          Thank you buddy, i will do as many as i can! What do you prefere, gas or electric? what are the pros and cons other than you stated?. Do you think that i should start with a pistol or a SMG/Rifle first?

Yes i really liked the metal feel, i held a rep metal scar and it wasnt too heavy, i could cope easily enough.

I was looking at some bear grylls style trousers they seem very heavy duty, bit pricey though! have a nice shirt from his range aswell!. Thanks for your input
          metal will last longer externally, and looks and feels better

i use electric rifles, and gas pistols

you'll need to check to see what your site allows, for example my local sites don't allow gas rifles

if you don't want to shell out for bear grylls style trousers, look for a local military surplus store, you'll find everything, like trousers, boots, vests etc
          Originally posted by Fenriz
          Hicaps are as bad as two-tone. Or rape.

Comment

Originally posted by old_and_slow View Post
            loadsa questions lol

Firstly welcome.

1. It isnt just three games and youre on - its three games in a specific time period. You need to imvestigate this.
            2. I got a rifle first (m4) then later got a pistol. Electric M4 and a gas Glock is pretty much a safe combination to start with.
            3. To start with an electric rifle (you'll need a battery or two and a charger) and a gas pistol (you'll need gas) nd for both you'll need BB's.
            4. Don't worry about getting loads of attachments. You can do this as time goes on. The guns are as accurate as you'll need the to be with standard 'iron sights'
            5. A case would be a splendid idea.
            6. Metal stands up to the rough and tumble. Plastic pistols can be better to start with as they operate better in low temperatures due to the mechanicals being lighter.
            7. PPE - facemask and glasses/goggles and a decent pair of boots. I started off playing in trackie bottoms.

Finally, walk before you run. Buy what you can afford to start off with then improve over time. Dont spend your budget on lots of lower priced bits just to have it all at once. Take your time.
            I know! sorry! just got all excited about everything! ha

Yes i did read that actually, it has to be in an allotted time span. Okay, i just loved the feel of the pistol! Okay, i love the G36C and the Famas. Would batteries not be included? i would be better buying recharge ones obviously! You reccomend gas for the pistol but not for the Rifle, any spesific reason why? Are the gas refils expensive?

Yes with the attatchments thats a given i was planning on getting into it and knowing more about the guns and everything else first! I was meaning more like leg holsters for a pistol ect. The case seems like a nice idea, i think i'll invest, could you get a combo case for like a rifle and pistol? if so any particular shop you'd reccomend?

Yes i like the feel of metal really, i can handle the weight issue, i spose the temp will only go down from now onwards... but i would be thinking long term... Any tips to keeping them working?

Ive got the apropriate foot wear and like you said trackies will do, would rent masks to start with i guess. Would you reccomend an open face'd balaclarva?

I need to find a club or group of mates to join me first! but as you said, i will keep it steady! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by riddick 1811 View Post
              metal will last longer externally, and looks and feels better

i use electric rifles, and gas pistols

you'll need to check to see what your site allows, for example my local sites don't allow gas rifles

if you don't want to shell out for bear grylls style trousers, look for a local military surplus store, you'll find everything, like trousers, boots, vests etc
              Yes i want metal tbh would of got it regardless!

Okay, well the general concensus seems to be electric rifle and gas pistol so i shall be doing that!

Yeh i have an army surplus store in southampton so i'll check in there for everything!

Comment

firstly.dont worry to much bout the gun! You can rent or borrow til you get your ukara(as long as your over 18!) i would pop yourself down to you local military shop and get a set of dpm or something.from 10er for set to get you started! Nice and cheap.buy yourself a DECENT! Pair of shootin glasses or full face mask.DO NOT BUY THE CHEAPEST PAIR YOU CAN FIND. Your eyes can not be replaced.and a pair of gloves and boots.second hand if on a budget........and when your tried a few things out get the rifle you want and worry bout a pistol after.you dont really need both.unless cqb.hope its some help.

Comment

Originally posted by dantwnn View Post
                  firstly.dont worry to much bout the gun! You can rent or borrow til you get your ukara(as long as your over 18!) i would pop yourself down to you local military shop and get a set of dpm or something.from 10er for set to get you started! Nice and cheap.buy yourself a DECENT! Pair of shootin glasses or full face mask.DO NOT BUY THE CHEAPEST PAIR YOU CAN FIND. Your eyes can not be replaced.and a pair of gloves and boots.second hand if on a budget........and when your tried a few things out get the rifle you want and worry bout a pistol after.you dont really need both.unless cqb.hope its some help.
                  Yes it has helped thank you, what does dpm mean? I am over 18, im 20 on the 23rd nov. I have a army surplus store close to me in Soton so thats no worries, i would look at some tight hugging sport glasses and maybe a half face clarva? Oh okay, rifle first pistol second... will people let me have a go on theres? or do you mean like the standard guns they let you borrow? do people get funny with "their" guns lol?

Comment

DPM is 'Disruptive Pattern Material' - basically a term for camouflage. Have a look here for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disrupt...ttern_Material
                    https://shortoncontent.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Welshy23 View Post
                      Yes it has helped thank you, what does dpm mean? I am over 18, im 20 on the 23rd nov. I have a army surplus store close to me in Soton so thats no worries, i would look at some tight hugging sport glasses and maybe a half face clarva? Oh okay, rifle first pistol second... will people let me have a go on theres? or do you mean like the standard guns they let you borrow? do people get funny with "their" guns lol?
                      Some people will let you at least have a feel of your guns while some may even let you borrow them for the day, it's just the luck of the draw really. Occasionally you can get to know people on here who go to your local site and they might agree to let you borrow theirs for the day.
                      The most important thing you need is a decent pair of goggles and/or specs. Don't spend less than £20-£30 on them.
                      Next you need to make sure you have a decent pair of boots, walking boots will do but make sure they have ankle protection. Some places won't let you on site if you don't have suitable footwear.
                      Then you can buy your rifle. Don't bother with a pistol yet, they are primarily for CQB and as backups, although there are the odd exceptions. http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/index....&cPath=268_318 has a lot of decent beginners rifles, particularly in the £100-£200 ranges. I'd recommend something like the G&G Combat Machine CM16 Raider, reasonably priced, and with a nice RIS system on the front. And usually regarded as one of the better beginner makes out there.

Anyway, that's just my opinion, enjoy :D.

Comment

Hey man, welcome to the sport!

My advice goes like this:

1)Go play a game. Don't start spending too much money til you've given it a go. Whilst you're there be sure to talk to the other players, there's bound to be someone you can tag along with on the field. People are also pretty friendly, whilst they are unlikely to let you use their gun in a game most will be happy to let you have a feel of it in the safezone.

2)If you do decide this is a sport you wanna get involved in then wait for your legal defense (often, but incorrectly, called a UKARA license). Don't be tempted to go buy a two-tone (brightly coloured gun for which you don't need a legal defense).

3)When you are ready to buy your first gun, work out how much you want to spend and what kind of guns you like the look of. It is highly recommended that your first gun is an electric rifle (eg. M4, AK, MP5, P90). Despite what most people will try and claim, the performance of stock AEGs (Airsoft Electric Guns) is pretty identical inside price brackets (ie. a £130 M4 will perform very similarly to a £130 AK) so just go for what you like the looks of.

4)Other essentials:

Batteries - Often you'll be able to buy a package that includes a battery with the gun. If not then find out from the shop you buy the gun from what battery they recommend for it, there are many different types. AEGs don't run on AA batteries, they run on the kind of batteries used in remote control cars. When you look at batteries they'll have some info that you'll need to understand. NiCd, NiMh, Lipo - these are the different types of battery based on what chemicals they are made from, as a beginner you will want NiMh. 8.4v, 9.6v, 7.2v, 11.1v - As you probably guessed these are the voltages, with beginner NiMhs you should only use an 8.4 or a 9.6. Voltage decided how fast your gun will run, a higher voltage battery will give you a better rate of fire but will put more strain on the gearbox. There will then be a Mah rating, this is how long the battery will last, but there may be space restrictions in your battery compartment so again, consult the shop.

Eye protection - Some "tight hugging sports glasses" won't do, you need shooting glasses which offer proven ballistic protection as a minimum. There are threads on here which discuss EXTENSIVLY the pros and cons of all types of eye and face protection, go find them.

BBs - Buy high-quality 0.2 gram bbs.

5)Don't buy from any old shop, only ones with a good reputation. The rules on this forum means we can't mention any retailer except ZeroOne. Zeroone are a good shop but there are others out there.

That's all i can think of atm and tbh I've forgotten the other things i wanted to say. Just remember to search the forums before you ask questions, people on here can get narky when questions get repeated over and over again. If there's any small questions that you don't feel deserve their own thread then feel free to pm me with them and i'll be happy to help you if i can.

Comment

Face protection - many people dont bother however how much of a value do you put on your front teeth?

Comment

Originally posted by plainlazy44 View Post
                            Hey man, welcome to the sport!

My advice goes like this:

1)Go play a game. Don't start spending too much money til you've given it a go. Whilst you're there be sure to talk to the other players, there's bound to be someone you can tag along with on the field. People are also pretty friendly, whilst they are unlikely to let you use their gun in a game most will be happy to let you have a feel of it in the safezone.

2)If you do decide this is a sport you wanna get involved in then wait for your legal defense (often, but incorrectly, called a UKARA license). Don't be tempted to go buy a two-tone (brightly coloured gun for which you don't need a legal defense).

3)When you are ready to buy your first gun, work out how much you want to spend and what kind of guns you like the look of. It is highly recommended that your first gun is an electric rifle (eg. M4, AK, MP5, P90). Despite what most people will try and claim, the performance of stock AEGs (Airsoft Electric Guns) is pretty identical inside price brackets (ie. a £130 M4 will perform very similarly to a £130 AK) so just go for what you like the looks of.

4)Other essentials:

Batteries - Often you'll be able to buy a package that includes a battery with the gun. If not then find out from the shop you buy the gun from what battery they recommend for it, there are many different types. AEGs don't run on AA batteries, they run on the kind of batteries used in remote control cars. When you look at batteries they'll have some info that you'll need to understand. NiCd, NiMh, Lipo - these are the different types of battery based on what chemicals they are made from, as a beginner you will want NiMh. 8.4v, 9.6v, 7.2v, 11.1v - As you probably guessed these are the voltages, with beginner NiMhs you should only use an 8.4 or a 9.6. Voltage decided how fast your gun will run, a higher voltage battery will give you a better rate of fire but will put more strain on the gearbox. There will then be a Mah rating, this is how long the battery will last, but there may be space restrictions in your battery compartment so again, consult the shop.

Eye protection - Some "tight hugging sports glasses" won't do, you need shooting glasses which offer proven ballistic protection as a minimum. There are threads on here which discuss EXTENSIVLY the pros and cons of all types of eye and face protection, go find them.

BBs - Buy high-quality 0.2 gram bbs.

5)Don't buy from any old shop, only ones with a good reputation. The rules on this forum means we can't mention any retailer except ZeroOne. Zeroone are a good shop but there are others out there.

That's all i can think of atm and tbh I've forgotten the other things i wanted to say. Just remember to search the forums before you ask questions, people on here can get narky when questions get repeated over and over again. If there's any small questions that you don't feel deserve their own thread then feel free to pm me with them and i'll be happy to help you if i can.
                            Thank you very much for all your information its very helpful. So, get my defense license. Get a good rifle with 9.6 volts pistol later. Invest in some good ballistic glasses.

I know what you mean about people getting funny about questions that are always asked im on another site which is just the same! I will get in touch if i think of anything else! Thanks bud!

Comment

heres from experience of playing for just under a year

Camo: Get it all 2nd hand from your local army surplus shop mate, it will only get battered when your playing so no real point buying £££ worth of camo gear. I got a pair of camo trousers and a jacket for £30!

Eye protection: buy something decent as this is a MUST

Boots: I use some spare work boots, again they do they job but try the army surplus shop for stuff.

Go down and hire for the day and see what you think, Me personally I was hooked after my first game, as is my 15 year old nephew. All my gear is 2nd hand that ive bought off mates or the local shop, it really does not bother me that some of my kit isnt how real life army kit is. Its only a game
                              It really does no bother me but I did spend £500 on the SCAR-H and the shotgun I have. Once you have your kit then your sorted and you only have to buy BB's and your fee to play.

Im more than happy to let people have a play with my SCAR/Shotgun in the safezone but im not really willing to lend it out to people I dont know just due to how much the guns were. You will prob find that will be the case in 80% of sites. People are normally very friendly to new guys as it keeps the sport going and thats only a good thing. You will get the odd retard who plays, this happened at my last site. One guy thought I was mad for lending my nephew my SCAR for the day....why wouldnt I? He is family FFS and it was his birthday and he loves that gun

you really dont need all the lastest tactical vest either, I normally play with 3 mags for the scar, one in each pocket and 1 in the gun. Job done

Just remember it takes time to build up your kit, I still need stuff even after a year. also Average price of BB's is 7-8 quid for 3000, just dont buy crap quality ones. Just remember to shop around and compare prices.

good luck

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Welshy23 Find out more about Welshy23
                              Working...
                              X