Several Airsoft Questions, also your thoughts on my "plan"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several Airsoft Questions, also your thoughts on my "plan"

Hello , I'm new to this forum and airsoft so thought I would just put my thoughts out to people, to see what advice could be offered.

To start with I'm an under-eighteen, so be aware of various budget and colour restraints I may be affected by.

First and foremostly, I intend to be a sniper, I have played a little airsoft with my friend's guns (TM VSR-10 G-Spec), he has since moved away so I have no weapons to play with other than a €35 TM Mini-Uzi I picked up at a french market a few years ago (still shoots flawlessly, poor range, but still shoots).

I intend to purchase my own weapons, and I intend to play with another of my school friends, the same age as me, he has about the same amount of play time as myself, with the same weapons, and thus also wants to be a sniper.

My first purchase I intend to make, I hope, will be a TM L96 AWS, recently released, which - I believe - has the same internals as the G-Spec, and takes many of the aftermarket parts. I would equip this with a simple 3.5-10x40 scope and bipod, and keep it as a simple sniper, maybe fitting a tight-bore barrel, and taking the power up to 450fps (with all relevant upgrades) - this power limit for bolt actions at my local site.

Following this purchase, I would then purchase some form of secondary to replace my cheap uzi, the next three weapons I intend to purchase after this are as follows:
    • A&K M249 Mk.II
    • G&P M4 RAS
    • TM P90
    I am unsure which of these I would purchase first, however I intend to upgrade each of them in the following ways:

For the M249, I would take the power up to 360fps (site limits for AEGs), offering me a sufficient range for the general weight of the gun and its ideal role, maybe fitting a longer/tighter barrel for increased accuracy at range. Fitting an ACOG scope would be the only other change to this weapon other than the internals, along with an extra box mag or two, and several M16 magazines. I appreciate the chosen gun is a cheap gun, and accept it may have problems, however I will upgrade various internal parts as time goes on to improve overall quality/reliability.

Starting at ~360fps there is no need for internal upgrades for the M4, however, I would purchase the G&P M5 RAS front set, this would offer me practically two weapons for the price of one (only configurable pre-skirmish), converting it to an XM110-esque weapon when equiped with the M5 front set, and keeping it to a simple M4A1 with the original front set. I would equip a laser, torch and M203 to the M4A1 setup, with some form of red dot sight, or possibly a 1-4x32 scope. For the XM110 setup, I would include all of the above accessories, with the addition of a verticle foregrip before the M203, to act as a forward pistol grip, and I would use a 3-9x40 Scope in place of the RDS/1-4x32, one with a top rail, where I would add another laser (possibly green) to aid targetting.

Finally, for the P90, I intend to create a CQB weapon - mimicking a Predator. Upgrading the internals to bring it up to only 328fps, I would then fit the nitro front set, and various top rail attachments to fit a red dot sight. Along with these attachments, I would add a laser to the top rail of the nitro front set, a torch to the left side rail, and a PEQ-2 grenade launcher to the right hand side (holds two 18 round 27mm shells). I would use the magazine attachment that allows it to take M4/M16 magazines, and also add a silencer to complete the look.

Once I have purchased my second weapon (I am unsure which of the three listed in detail above - I require more advice) I would look to purchase some form of communication device so that I could communicate with my friend who also wants to do airsoft. I am unsure which devices to purchase, however I would like something that could attach a boom microphone headset, along with a PTT pressel, that could be run down my sleeve and attached to the foregrip of my weapon, which would be activated with my left hand. I intend to only have pressure switches for my lasers (exluding the scope mounted laser) and the PTT, meaning the torches will be toggle switch activated.

Obviously I do not have the money to purchase all of the equipment listed above at once, so I will build my collection up part by part, upgrading the guns and adding attachments as I go along, however, I will purchase various camoflauge and safety equipment when I buy my L96, which should hopefully be in the near future.

Some of you may not have seen the point of this thread, so I will reiterate the questions I wish to be answered:
    1. Do any of the guns listed above have any faults? Or can you offer any advice on those weapons and/or possible alternatives?
    2. Which of the three guns listed above should I purchase once I have enough money to replace my cheap uzi after buying my L96?
    3. What are my options in terms of PRRs and headsets/PTT pressels?
    4. Can you recommend any other upgrades that you feel necessary, or even just a fun add-on to your gun that serves a simple use?
    5. How useful are ghillie suits and scrims as a sniper?
    Thanks, and remember I am under 18, so all my weapons will be two-tone... I intend to cover them up with some form of camo tape, and/or a scrim.

Re: Several Airsoft Questions, also your thoughts on my "plan"

1. The M4 and the P90 are fine (though feed problems are common with TM P90 highcaps), but a de-gunk of the M249s internals is recommended, and youll probably want to replace the barrel and hop as these are normally a bit shoddy
    2. I would recommend the M4, nice and basic weapon to start with, but it really wont matter a huge amount as nearly all AEGS perform at a very close level. I'd do it based on which one you like the look of
    3. Not really my area, ill leave that to someone else
    4. If your refering to your L96, I can't help you there, im not a sniper
    5. From what I've heard and seen, full ghillies can be as much of a hindrance as an aid. They are very hard to feel hits through if they're full size, but provide amazing cover if you are in the correct type of foliage. Plus they look the dogs nuts
    G&G TR15 Raider XL, CA G36K, G&G MP5A4, Cyma Thompson, APS AKS-74U, Custom TM Uzi, DE M56, WE Nighthawk X2, Cyma Glock 18C
    RD Customs MG42, The Bone Cannon And Project Balderdash.

If you aren't laughing, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Overlooking the legal implications of being under 18 with a RIF etc.....i offer the following:

1) The TM L96 has only been on the market for a matter of only weeks, so there isn't that much user feedback yet. G&P make excellent M4's and recommended by many - but the hop-up units aren't the best from what i've heard though. The M249 looks the biz, but i shouldn't think it's the most practical option for most people due to the size/weight, but there are plenty of reviews on the net of it. The TM P90 is fine but not everyone find them comfy to use, and the HiCap mags are notoriously unreliable without modification.

2)G&P M4 without doubt....in fact i'd buy one of them first over the L96....but that's just me. However the TM P90 would be small enough to be a useful backup when the engagement ranges are too close to use the L96.

3) I'll let others chime in on that one.

4) Assuming the L96 can use some of the VSR upgrades internally, then buying a tune up kit to get as close to the field-max velocity for the site you will be frequenting. That, along with a scope, possibly a Bipod and tightbore.

5) From i've seen, yes.....ghillies etc can be very effective, depending on the enviroment of course.

Of course this is all hypothetical because you won't be buying any these guns yourself....right? Gifts from your parents maybe? ;-)

Comment

Thanks all

Your replies have been quite helpful, seems like it should be the M4 so far...

As for the other questions, Q4 was generic, not applying to any gun in particular...

As for the P90 hi-cap, I was referring to the Laylax Magazine conversion attachment? That also makes way for a larger type battery...

Comment

As another point, I intend to put a TK Twist barrel in my P90, hopefully improving its accuracy, making it an extremely effective CQB weapon.

Comment

I dont think you will need a Twist barrel for CQB lol.

The only need for a twist barrel is if you play at a long range site to get an extra 10m range or so. A hop bucking is suficient for cqb or a woodland site for that matter.

This is what you need to get you aeg tip top at minimal cost

- M100 spring (350fps)
            - Metal bushings
            - Clean and re-grease
            - 9.6v battery
            - Madbull 6.03 tightbore barrel - £35
            - Systema hop bucking - £5
            - KSC/Madbull 0.25g bbs
            - A very good barrel clean after each skirmish with a lint free cloth, cleaning rod and silicone spray. (not wd40 and the likes.)
            Last edited by Marksman1969; 25 September, 2009, 21:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Marksman1969 View Post
              I dont think you will need a Twist barrel for CQB lol.

The only need for a twist barrel is if you play at a long range site to get an extra 10m range or so. A hop bucking is suficient for cqb or a woodland site for that matter.

This is what you need

- Madbull 6.03 tightbore barrel - £35
              - Systema hop bucking - £5
              - KSC/Madbull 0.25g bbs
              - A very good barrel clean after each skirmish will silicone spray and a cleaning rod

Easiest upgrade to do to a AEG which improves accuracy, consistency, range and most of all tighter groupings.
              Surely a twist will improve grouping?

Comment

Over a stock barrel - yes

Differences between a tightbore and twist barrel at cqb ranges - totally un-noticable

If you planning on shooting less that about 30m its wasted money spent

Even a tightbore isnt nessesary for cqb but is nice to have to know that you can use it effectivly at a bigger site.
                Last edited by Marksman1969; 25 September, 2009, 21:36.

Comment

Thankyou
                  Considering my P90 will act as a backup unless I am doing dedicated CQB, so a tightbore barrel does seem useless.
                  Thanks again...

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Severity Find out more about Severity
                  Working...
                  X