X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information/Advice needed - Various

Hi there!

A few noob questions here,

I am just wondering if there is any part of the gearbox that needs upgrading or replacing more than others, i've recently started using my ICS M4A1 More often so im wondering if there is anything that would usually break after usage for a while etc. I have an ICS Split gearbox.

Another question - This is on the noises airsoft guns make when firing, most make a clean popping sound or some are extremely quiet. However mine makes a whiny sound, i can only describe it as an electric whisk haha. Now this isnt crazily annoying me, im just wondering why mine sounds so different to others, and if there is any way to change this.

Next - Re-wiring guns, i am wanting to re-wire my rifle from back to front, does the gearbox need to be opened to do this or whatnot? as i've not really properly opened up my gun yet (wary of breaking it haha) now i regard myself as quite tech savvy so im thinking i could do it with proper instruction, but i also know i should let Professionals do it - is it an easy task or would you recommend i put it in to be done.

Would also like some information on LiPo batteries, as i know practically nothing on them haha.

Thanks for reading (and maybe replying!)

Rich
    sigpic

Re: Information/Advice needed - Various

Regarding the rewiring:
    Yes, you could do it yourself, and having the ICS split box SHOULD make it easier, as you don't need to worry about the main spring launching itself and/or the spring guide across the room!
    As for the other stuff, I'm not sure about the ICS boxes, but you should consider holding fire on the rewire until you find out - You could do other upgrade jobs while you have it open.

Comment

have a look at this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHqsnwBiwC0
      they are easy to take apart!

Comment

The whine is just the motor. ICS motors are annoyingly whiny. In terms of what is worth upgrading in the ICS gear boxes the pistons generally are quite weak and could use upgrading.
        I'm not too sure about rewiring as I've not done it myself with my ICS. Lipo batteries: Depending on the voltage you choose you'll need to upgrade the internals to strengthen them otherwise they'll break.
        Unless you're just running a 7.4 lipo then you should be ok.

Comment

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! You could do more damage trying to "upgrade" it if you don't really know how. That said they are the easiest M4's to work on because of the split gearbox. The lower gearbox should be pretty solid anyway, and I've never personally had any issues with the ICS piston. It might be a good idea to just buy a second upper gearbox to have handy in case yours fails? It would give you something to practice on and still leave you with a working gun just in case. Plus you could set one up for woodland (350fps) and one for CQB (300fps). Someone is selling some good condition used ones in the classifieds - I bought one off him and it's in perfect condition

As for the whining - as above, that's just ICS for you. I often describe mine as a sewing machine, so I wouldn't worry about it. Something to do with the split gearbox and motor design I reckon

I run all my ICS M4s off 7.4v stock tube lipo batteries (1300mah, 20c) which give a good rate of fire - on a par with an 8.4v large or 9.6v small nimh.

Comment

yeah as above the whining is from the motor...if you want to change the wiring from back to front the easiest thing to do is get any V2 trigger switch front wired, element would be good enough,you can find it on a popular auction site,just type Element L Capacity Switch Assembly for Airsoft AEG (Gearbox Ver.2 / front)PW0203...its under a tenner..and swap it over,its a 30 min job max

wear n tear in a mechbox, shouldnt be an issue if you maintain your gun, and dont abuse it...theres so many things that could go wrong,but on the other hand nothing could happen

as for lipos, you can use a 7.4 lipo without any problems at all...just make sure the switch and battery are wired for deans, simply buy some deans connectors from the famous action site for a couple of quid, plus some heat shrink...and solder away.
            as for 11.1 you would need to add a mosfet to stop the motor from over spinning,(which causes double shots,misfeeds, eratic semi fire function) the battery would not cause too many problems if you fire mainly semi-auto, if you like full auto,i wouldnt recommend, it wil just wear everything down prematurely...its all a bit more complicated than that....but thats basically in a nutshell
            VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
            trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

Thank you very much for all your replies chaps! very informative and i've taken all the information onboard. And thats fairpoint, its firing at around 340 fps average atm, so there is no point in upgrading it i guess, its just the devil on my shoulder giving me the impulse to pimp it out! Seems like im resigned to having a 'sewing machine' for a gun then Haha!

Rich
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RCW05 View Post
                Thank you very much for all your replies chaps! very informative and i've taken all the information onboard. And thats fairpoint, its firing at around 340 fps average atm, so there is no point in upgrading it i guess, its just the devil on my shoulder giving me the impulse to pimp it out! Seems like im resigned to having a 'sewing machine' for a gun then Haha!

Rich
                You can always swap the motor out if you want as that's a very easy job to do. At this current time I can't think of recommending a motor though. My personal favorite though for performance is the G&P M120. Also if you'd like a lower gear box to just take apart and see how it works I've got one spare from my old ICS that I could sell very cheap if you'd like. I also have the upper but without the piston present.

It's always good to take things apart but I wouldn't recommend doing it on your working rifle especially if it's the first time you're taking it apart.

Comment

Hi guy's , just another quick question, battery sizes, i have a 3300 mah and i KNOW It lasts all day, what about the 1200 - 1500 sizes? im wanting to get a PEQ box and they only fit the smaller ones. I just want to know if i get a 1300 - 1500 or so or maybe a small lipo will it last all day? cheers!

Rich
                  sigpic

Comment

I have run all-day on a 1500mAh. However, it depends on how much you fire. If you're a trigger-happy, 35rps high-capper, it's not going to last long.

Also, being smaller, 1500 sized batteries suffer a bit more in cold weather - this manifests itself as apparently-reduced capacity.

Simple solution is to get 2 and change at lunch time.

LiPo doesn't suffer so much from the cold, and you'll get a higher capacity in the same space. e.g. I have a 7.4V 2000mAh Lipo that's smaller than a 8.4V mini.

An average 7.4V LiPo will give similar performance to a similarly sized 9.6V NiMH.

Also, If you're going to rewire, use Deans or XT60 if you're able. It may be easier to get batteries already fitted with Deans, rather than XT60.

Comment

Hmmm the smaller sized lipo sounds good, im hoping to get one that fits in a PEQ box. Do you have to re-wire or anything when using a lipo battery? And could you suggest a lipo that has a good battery capacity?
                      and im taking it because its only a 7.4v lipo my gearbox wouldnt need upgrading?

Cheers, Rich
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah. 7.4V LiPos don't need any modification to the gun - They give similar performance to a 8.4V or 9.6V NiMH, depending on the C rating.
                        11.1V LiPos generally need a MOSFET fitted to protect the trigger contacts.

Comment

with batterys there's a rough estimate to work out how long your battery will last which is to look at the mAh...for a ni-cad or nimh if the mAh was 1500 you'd get approx 1500 shots...for a lipo its 1.5 to 2x the mAh...but this is not gospel,other factors need to be considered for example quality and resistance of the wiring and connections, and probably battery torque or speed
                          VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
                          trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

RCW05 I R REAL SOLDIER! Find out more about RCW05
                          Working...
                          X