Old Airsofter with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Airsofter with a question

Hello guys and gals, I haven't been on the airsoft scene for about 4 years now, i used to skirmish a lot, must have spent a good couple of thousand pounds on guns and gear, but i packed it all in for various reasons, funnily enough money wasn't one of them. I am now left with various guns and kit that i haven't used and want to get rid of. Keeping in mind the VCR bill hadn't been law when i was playing and came in not long after i stopped playing, so i never registered as a skirmisher. My question is this:

What can i do within the law to sell my airsoft guns?

Thanks in advance for any help

Snowball

Re: Old Airsofter with a question

Selling them is perfectly legal mate, as long as the buyer is over 18 and holds some sort of defence against the VCR bill (either a UKARA number, proof as a skirmisher from their local site, or proof of being a historical re-enactor). Or if they work for the crown.

If they're over 18 but don't have a valid defence, you can paint 51% of the gun in a flourescent colour and sell it fine.

If they're under 18, defence or not, then no sale.
    Signature Removed

Comment

Perfect, that answers my question then. Obviously i'd want to keep my guns as they are rather than painting them that horrible fluorescent orange. I'm guessing that UKARA and skirmishers will hold a membership card and or reference number of some kind?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexLM View Post
        Selling them is perfectly legal mate, as long as the buyer is over 18 and holds some sort of defence against the VCR bill (either a UKARA number, proof as a skirmisher from their local site, or proof of being a historical re-enactor). Or if they work for the crown.
        Sorry to be pedantic but the buyer doesn't 'hold' any sort of defence when it comes to the VCRA. The defence applies to the seller and it's entirely down to them to ensure that they have a defence for selling RIFs, the buyer doesn't have or need any sort of defence to buy. It may seem a small difference but it's important to be clear where the responsibility lies.

Originally posted by Snowball View Post
        Perfect, that answers my question then. Obviously i'd want to keep my guns as they are rather than painting them that horrible fluorescent orange. I'm guessing that UKARA and skirmishers will hold a membership card and or reference number of some kind?
        They should have a membership number from their site which I believe you can check thru Zeroin to verify if they're registered with UKARA or you can ask for contact details for the site and ring directly to confirm the number.

Comment

Originally posted by Fil View Post
          Sorry to be pedantic but the buyer doesn't 'hold' any sort of defence when it comes to the VCRA. The defence applies to the seller and it's entirely down to them to ensure that they have a defence for selling RIFs, the buyer doesn't have or need any sort of defence to buy. It may seem a small difference but it's important to be clear where the responsibility lies.

They should have a membership number from their site which I believe you can check thru Zeroin to verify if they're registered with UKARA or you can ask for contact details for the site and ring directly to confirm the number.
          I would have a good look at the legislation if I were you, what you are saying is that a purchaser needs no defence? The VCRA makes the sale, manufacture or importation of RIFs illegal that means both parties to a sale need a suitable defence under the Act. Both or either could theoretically be prosecuted because of the word sale.

Comment

I think Fil has just confused matters, im not aware that as a seller of guns on here that I need to have a defence. For me AlexLM has got it spot on as he has pointed out that the seller is covered by making sure the buyer has a defence, in most cases this is by way of a UKARA number, however there are other things that can be used as proof.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pugwash View Post
              I would have a good look at the legislation if I were you, what you are saying is that a purchaser needs no defence? The VCRA makes the sale, manufacture or importation of RIFs illegal that means both parties to a sale need a suitable defence under the Act. Both or either could theoretically be prosecuted because of the word sale.
              Quite correct, beaten to it whilst typing.
              sigpic

Comment

What you talking about Fil???

Comment

Originally posted by pugwash View Post
                  I suggest you should take another look at the legislation. The offence in question is section 36(1)(c) which says a person is guilty of an offence if he sells a realistic imitation firearm. A buyer can't 'sell' the gun he's buying ergo requires no defence in order to purchase. The seller is the one selling, the one committing the offence and the one needing the defence. There is no offence in the VCRA for purchasing a RIF.

Originally posted by Rainbow6 View Post
                  I think Fil has just confused matters, im not aware that as a seller of guns on here that I need to have a defence. For me AlexLM has got it spot on as he has pointed out that the seller is covered by making sure the buyer has a defence, in most cases this is by way of a UKARA number, however there are other things that can be used as proof.
                  No, not confused at all. The legislation is quite clear in that the offence is for the selling of RIFs, not purchasing.

Originally posted by mrpugster View Post
                  What you talking about Fil???
                  The law. It should be read and understood when you're doing things that could break it.

Comment

Misread

Comment

The onus is on the seller to ensure that the buyer is a skirmisher or re-enactor.

It is you as the SELLER who will face prosecution if you do not take "reasonable" steps to ensure the buyer is able to buy

If the buyer is over 18 then he wont commit any offense by buying your rif.
                      If the seller is under 18 then he will probably get away with a caution and they will come after you

just make sure the buyer has UKARA ,AFRA or NAReS number (easy and will cover your ass) .... Failing that its down to calling his site and asking
                      Last edited by cannon_fodder; 20 November, 2011, 16:08.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexLM View Post

If they're under 18, defence or not, then no sale.
                        @Fil, sorry but I cant see your point as if the seller does what AlexLM states above then there is no issue, as such you are pointing out something that has no relevance and to be honest is not very helpful, especially as your post was after this AlexLM's
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cannon_fodder View Post
                          Fil is correct

The onus is on the seller to ensure that the buyer is a skirmisher or re-enactor.

It is you as the SELLER who will face prosecution if you do not take "reasonable" steps to ensure the buyer is able to buy

If the buyer is over 18 then he wont commit any offense by buying your rif.
                          If the seller is under 18 then he will probably get away with a caution and they will come after you
                          That maybe so, however the question was "What can i do within the law to sell my airsoft guns?" and AlexLM answered this
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow6 View Post
                            @Fil, sorry but I cant see your point as if the seller does what AlexLM states above then there is no issue, as such you are pointing out something that has no relevance and to be honest is not very helpful, especially as your post was after this AlexLM's
                            My point is quite simple. It's making it clear to the seller it's on his head, not the buyers, to ensure that a valid defence is in place when selling an airsoft gun. You might not think that pointing that out has any relevance or is very helpful but if I was selling something that could lead to me committing an offence I'd want to know what the exact legal situation was and what I had to do. The distinction between where the responsibility lies may not sound like much but when you can get prosecuted I'd argue it's an important distinction to make.

Comment

Yes the onus is on the seller to ensure the buyer has a deffence, the seller does not need a deffence to sell, they just need to ensure the buyer has. Why do these threads allways end up like this, the op's question was answered almost straight away and now we have half a page of crap, mods please close.
                              HK MP5k PDW//IMI Uzi//HK MP5a4//HK MP5a5//M3 Grease Gun//HK51//L119a1//HK G36k//Colt M653//Colt M733 with M203//Steyr AUG A1//AMD 65//DSA SA58//Colt M16vn//H&K G3a3//Sig P226//Colt 1911a1//Sig P226r//STI 2011

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Snowball Find out more about Snowball
                              Working...
                              X