WE GBBRs open bolt? Que?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WE GBBRs open bolt? Que?

Okay so i intend to buy a WE ScarL next year, anyways what does the open bolt conversion do? How is it better than running them as a closed bolt??
    -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
    -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Re: WE GBBRs open bolt? Que?

when you get one, DO NOT FIRE IT! strip it, wipe everything completely dry of the lube WE put on it and clean it and re lube it following the WE rifle cleaning guide it's on the brass tube system but same fundamentals apply to the open bolt, lube anything that you suspect could cause friction, a little bit of the dust cover/ejection port, the bolt itself obviously, the tigger assembly, and the rails the bolt slide's along as it fires (that's a big one!) I poibnt you to that guide because they tell you about a very specific and easy to obtain lube you should ONLY use on your rifle, anything else could damage the O rings in there etc so read up on that and do it before firing

this will save you the new gun frustrations I had, was too excited and brought it out for some shooting, the ejection port didn't close all the way and BB's double fed and jammed in the magwell (there's these metal groves they travel on from the mag to the chamber if the bolt isn't lubed properly they'll get smashed and embedded into there) som bb's even managed to bounce back behind the bolt and fall into the trigger assembly jamming the gun,
    one I cleaned and lubed it properly taking all the factory shit off it has ran LITERALLY without failure since.

will this be your first GBBR?

Comment

It will be, i was just confused about all this open bolt stuff...
      And thanks for mentioning all of that, i was gonna stip and clean it all (i do with all my guns new)
      -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
      -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

If you ever used an open bolt WE (G36 or M14) and a close bolt, you can tell from use the open bolt handles better, feels better, is more efficiant.

Its an improvement overall and Open bolt guns barrel, hop-up rubber and other parts are much easier to find

Comment

Most Scars sold now are the open bolt anyway, weirdly the open bolt is cheaper than, if you do manage to find one, a closed bolt version.

Open bolt is the way forward, its main + point is its great gas efficiancy, if its not listed on the site your looking at as OB, either email/call the shop, i thought the WE HK416 on Zero one was OB untill i saw the question answered here.

Nearly £80 more for a CB than an OB, madness!!!

Comment

And Open Bolt uses VSR-style hop rubbers too - thinking of whacking in an H-nub soon. The hopup is SO much better on the OB guns. I remember having my CB system in and spending hours and hours just trying to get the hopup working... It would hook left and right, overhop, underhop... Just a nightmare to be honest!

Open Bolt. So much better. I'd never go CB if given the option. Plus there's less cool-down effect and you don't have to worry about the o-ring on the nozzle running dry and jamming the system up (took me out of a few games when I ran CB).

And definitely follow Jez's advice! Although I'm not sure on the lube bit... About there being a specific lube. I've just run Teflon grease on metal-metal and silicone grease on anything o-ring related and never really had any problems (since I upgraded to OB).

These things take an age to get running 100%, especially if you go for one with a pre-upgraded steel trigger set (as that needs time to wear in), but once you've put in a few hours of thorough work they are absolutely joyous! I've never seen any other GBBR system run as reliably as WE's OB system, or shoot as accurately.

Another advantage of going OB - I believe you can stick in VSR-style barrels (because they take VSR rubbers - I've done it) so you could go DMR with a really nice barrel if that takes your fancy!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

jonny lovegrove Marshal @ ZED Adventures: The Mall - RIP 2018 Find out more about jonny lovegrove
            Working...
            X