Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torch problems

Hello peeps

I have a Surefire torch that seems to be on the fritz. When I turn it on full, you can see a flickering in the light emitted, and eventually it drops strength completely. Battery is charged, so is the bulb knackered, or does this sound like a connection issue?

Any advice would be great

Re: Torch problems

Does sound like a dodgy connection mate, you wanna check the wires?
    -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
    -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Sorry, it's an ultrafire, not a surefire...

No wires to speak of really - I'm using a clicky cap, which seems to do the job (5 modes). I was assuming that maybe the bulb unit thingy is defective.

Time for an XT10 perhaps

Comment

Sometimes the bulb does not sit far enough back.I cut circles from clear (flat) food containers and kinda shimmed my lens. I put 3 of the really thin things infront of my lens and it has pushed the bulb far enough back to make a connection.

Hope this helps.

Comment

From what I know of torch internals (which isn't a lot tbh) its sounds like a connection issue, possibly caused by corrosion. The strength dropping off over time seems likely to be caused by increasing resistence as the dodgy connection heats up. Have you taken the bulb out to check it over?

Comment

Originally posted by SAS Scott View Post
            Sometimes the bulb does not sit far enough back.I cut circles from clear (flat) food containers and kinda shimmed my lens. I put 3 of the really thin things infront of my lens and it has pushed the bulb far enough back to make a connection.
            Originally posted by plainlazy44 View Post
            From what I know of torch internals (which isn't a lot tbh) its sounds like a connection issue, possibly caused by corrosion. The strength dropping off over time seems likely to be caused by increasing resistence as the dodgy connection heats up. Have you taken the bulb out to check it over?
            Thanks guys, I will try both ideas out and post back soon

EDIT:

Ok, I've unscrewed the front cap, and pushed the bulb unit into the battery. Same results, the light is solid, then starts to slightly flicker, then gets a bit worse. I'm guessing I need to get me a new bulb/reflector unit...
            Last edited by alex4; 7 December, 2011, 23:48.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

alex4 Find out more about alex4
            Working...
            X