Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will this be an issue?

right I recently got my hands on a friends M4 to clean for him

anyway, I split the gun and removed the barrel + hopup unit ready to give the barrel a clean as the gun is brand new and ive heard the barrells need a bit of a clean

anyway my question is i removed the small clip that holds the barrell onto the hopup (the small half clip) and took the barrell off and gave it a good clean and put a small amount of silicone on the rubber.
    I didnt turn off the hopup and just gently inserted the barrell into the rubber. Does the rubber stay inside the hopup or should you see any of it?
    I cant see any of the rubber as it seems to be all the way inside the hopup unit on the barrell if that makes sense?

I put the clip back on and had a look down the hopup and everything seems ok

will it ok seeing that I didnt turn the hopup off and that i cant see the rubber where the clip goes on?

thanks in advance!!

Re: will this be an issue?

If you turn the hop on now looking in from the hop end... do you see it bulge out?

What part you put silicone on?

Comment

ill check when i get home mate

i put a little bit of silicone on the end of the barrell

Comment

Why oh why.... lol?

Sounds like you done more harm than good. You somewhere with enough room to test it out? Or, another weapon you can take to next skirmish?

Hop is a tricky one, if you got it wrong your range will be good as zero. If you can't correct it you ruin your day. Problem is you can't always see the issue, just experience tells you what is wrong.

Comment

i can test it 2morrow

i didnt actually know about turning the hop up off

what damage do you think its done? ill turn the hopup on/off and see if there is a bulge

Comment

i did actually completly remove the bucking and its 100% not split, surely as long as the nubbin is there (i presume they dont just fall out??) and I turn it to off, remove it again, double check for splits and reassemble it should be ok?

Comment

chances are you nubs fallen out ;p as jags saying as youve pulled it out without turning hop off, chances are youve dragged the nub out with it and as its small havent noticed, as jag sais check to see if it bulges at the top when you turn it on and off, and as for silicon on the hop rubber, it can cause adverse affects down the line as it dries the hop out to my knowledge, although dont worry about that too much as yet

Comment

i didnt see anything fall out as I was doing it on the dinning room table much to the annoyance of the wife!

ill check though, I take it you can buy the rubbers and nubbins?

Comment

Don't worry about the rubber, as long as you're 100% sure there's no damage to it just give it a wash with some soapy water and let it dry out.

The nub can get lost VERY easily, but luckily it's also pretty easy to replace with a little bit of the inner (ink-free) tube from a biro.
                  sigpic

Comment

yeah course you can man there a bitch to get in though if your not taking the whole unit apart

Comment

ok cheers guys

also whats the best way to actually get the the part that houses the nubbin? does it just pull off the top? do you have to glue the biro bit on?

does zero one sell the nubbins?

thanks again :D

Comment

Small touch of silicone or grease on the nub itself holds in on the hop arm long enough to get it on. Most units you can put the barrel in first, then do the arm/nub.

With the rubber on the barrel, you can silicone the outside to help get it in the barrel into the unit, but you under no circs want silicone inside the barrel, or on the outside where the inside of the rubber touches. The whole basis of the system is friction, so lubricant stops that... and it does not work properly.

The reason I suggest leaving the barrel usually (unless you have a back up or somewhere to test) is that it is quite easy to get wrong.

Comment

ive double checked the the nub is still in place so ive stripped down and rebuilt and all is good

thanks for the help guys!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Dwarfy Find out more about Dwarfy
                          Working...
                          X