Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to get into airsoft...

Hi all,

Newbie here looking to get into airsoft (indeed looking to start an airsoft society at university with a friend) - and of course, I need advice (gun advice).

I'm the kind of guy who wants to play airsoft, and with one of his favourite guns; if I spend this much money on something, I'd like it not to be a run-of-the-mill M4 or AK. I'd also much prefer it if the gun was full metal, or mostly - I'd like it to feel the part. I've been looking at M14's so far, and despite the bad press that they have got I like the Kart M14 EBR Long. I prefer the 'modern' M14 EBR look over the older, traditional M14 look. However I have since found out that Kart no longer exist, and have been rebranded ECHO1. I can't find the same product from them - it's been discontinued. I have found them out of stock in numerous places - I doubt any of them will ever get them in stock again. The cheapest I found was $155 for the long version and $128 for the norm.

Other guns I have been looking at are pistols (I would quite like an M9 as long as it is full metal, an M93R would be good but a bit expensive at the moment) as they would back up the M14 nicely, or the WELL V2 Skorpion.

The cheapest I can find a full metal M9 is $80 (in stock) and it isn't even railed. I found a fully metal BELL M9 for $50, railed, but it's out of stock.

Yes I realise that my M14 stock would not be an *actual* DMR until it had upgraded internals etc. I'm willing to do that later, gradually. I'm fine with that, so please don't point it out. An SL9 or G36E(V)/K would also do, I guess - not sure where I would get the SL9 from, and I haven't seen any hopeful G36s yet.

I did see this post on your forums: (http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...%A3160.00-EACH) and am contemplating one as M14s seem to be devilishly hard to find. Preferably the 'Long' version, but I'll go with another if they are better guns.

Thanks, any and all comments are welcome.

- Jake

EDIT: had to take out product links as apparently I'm not allowed to link them, and removed all traces of website information. Hopefully I'm allowed to link to a classified here on this forum...

Re: Looking to get into airsoft...

Originally posted by jakeythesnake View Post
    and despite the bad press that they have got I like the Kart M14 EBR Long. I prefer the 'modern' M14 EBR look over the older, traditional M14 look. However I have since found out that Kart no longer exist, and have been rebranded ECHO1. I can't find the same product from them - it's been discontinued. I have found them out of stock in numerous places - I doubt any of them will ever get them in stock again. The cheapest I found was $155 for the long version and $128 for the norm.
    There is a reason why there are no Karts for sale. They are rubbish. If you got a Kart for your first gun you wouldn't want to come back to airsoft. Airsoft isn't a sport where you can get Rifles and pistols cheaply, which also perform well. A $50 pistol won't be very good compared to TM/ KWA/ WE etc. Also, remember when you order from America you need to take in account large shipping prices, often £10-20 and customs which could be about the same. If you want a m14 Ebr type gun then you are going have to spend more unfortunately.
    "I'm proud of my invention, but I'm sad that it is used by terrorists .. I would prefer to have invented a machine that people could use and that would help farmers with their work — for example a lawn mower." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

Originally posted by jakeythesnake View Post
      EDIT: had to take out product links as apparently I'm not allowed to link them, and removed all traces of website information. Hopefully I'm allowed to link to a classified here on this forum...
      you sound surprised by this.....well you would be if you didnt bother to read any rules relating to this forum.....

good luck
      VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
      trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

Your thread title would suggest that you haven't actually played yet, if you have then I apologise in advance for the lecture.

Please read the Q&A section regarding the Violent Crime Reduction Act, unless you are planning on buying a snot green two tone gun, you cannot as yet buy anything resembling a realistic imitation firearm (RIF). In order to purchase RIF's you must be able to prove defence against prosecution under the VCRA. reading the relevant sections will avail you of what you can and cannot do yet, including importing them, so please don't try, our sport in under a magnifying glass already

Your choice of manufacturers also leads me to suspect your inexperience as anyone would tell you the two guns you have highlighted as wanting are just plain bloody awful unless you are willing to spend a bucket load of cash upgrading them.

My advice to you, is to first play a few games to make sure you enjoy the sport, become a member at the site you want to play at by hiring a gun for game days and ask advice from players at your local site on which brands, types of guns to avoid and of course ask on here as well.

Comment

Hi there.

Firstly, welcome to the sport!

Now, any idea what your budget is? It would be helpful if we knew a maximum price.
          Also, looking at second hand weapons on these forums is a good idea. You'll almost always get a good deal!

Good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for!
          Originally posted by psirus101
          I once got a player 100+ metres away by just pointing my finger and shouting "PEW PEW PEW". He took his ****ing hit!

Comment

Please don't buy two tone shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post

Please don't buy two tone shit.
              What do you reccomend he does then, assuming he can't get a defence for whatever reason?
              "I'm proud of my invention, but I'm sad that it is used by terrorists .. I would prefer to have invented a machine that people could use and that would help farmers with their work — for example a lawn mower." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

Originally posted by MiloXC3 View Post
                Hi there.

Firstly, welcome to the sport!

Now, any idea what your budget is? It would be helpful if we knew a maximum price.
                Also, looking at second hand weapons on these forums is a good idea. You'll almost always get a good deal!

Good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for!
                Milo, suggesting that a new player go looking for guns on the forum is not the most contructive piece of advice you could give. For the OP, ignore the advice of people suggesting that you try to buy RIF's on the forum, if the seller discovers you do not have a defence he can simply cancel the sale and if you have paid using paypal you won't get your money back, why...because RIF's are not covered under types of goods covered by paypal.

Just get yourself a defence and buy your RIFs legally and above board.

Comment

Originally posted by Christo View Post
                  What do you reccomend he does then, assuming he can't get a defence for whatever reason?
                  He can rent for a start!

Comment

Welcome to the sport dude,
                    I would agree with Andrew, your talking about some real cheap and nasty gear to purchase. In the long run its going to give you massive problems and eat more money that could be spent on other shiny stuff. Look at it this way, the pistol your talking about is roughly £30, I just spend that on a single part for one of my pistols. its two extremes I know, but buy cheap pay twice really does happen in airsoft land.
                    I would advise you to go play a few games with rental gear, find some friendly looking regulars and chat to them. Most people don't bite and are more than happy to show you their kit and what it can and cant do, you can then ask the prices that were paid.

Ordering out of the US/HK etc is doable but in the UK you will pay import costs you will need VCR defence and you have no back up if the gun fails.
                    "I sincerely hope your next shit is a hedgehog" loki7491
                    Life in the fast lane........
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew March View Post
                      He can rent for a start!
                      From the local site? Most likely they have 1 maybe 2 different types? What if he wants to actually own one like everyone else does? If he shouldn't buy two tone do you think he should buy a RIF (Still assuming he can't get a defence for whatever reason.)

And no. I obviously don't think he should, however it seems like that is what people are saying...

Comment

1 or 2 different types are better than none and we are talking about three games and renting gives you the opportunity of playing without spending £200 on a snot green gun, battery and accesories that you're either going to sell quickly or respray.

It really is no big deal, costs much less and allows you to save for a decent gun when you do have a defence.

Comment

As has been said, Kart suck more than a room full of epilectic hoovers, avoid like the plague! Just find your closest airsoft site and hire guns from them till youve got club membership which will open up the world of purchasing airsoft guns not coloured like a clown suit. If you speak to people at the site nicely, Im sure they will let you look at their guns/give you a frank honest opinion of whats good/not to be bothered with. And dont knock ' run of the mill' guns, its suprising what you can do to a gun to make it your own individual bit of kit, also a G&G Combat machine is bloody good value for money and a cracking gun for a starter, what you save buying one of them leaves you plenty of pennies for upgrading or accessorising.
                          Originally Posted by PureSilver
                          "Complaining that it's shit because it's more complicated and less reliable than an AEG is like complaining that sex is shit because it's much messier than masturbating into a sock."

Comment

The one thing Id ask is, if you are a student are you on campus? Most unis wont allow airsoft guns in halls of residence.
                            As others have said, don't go two tone, save up, play enough using rentals to get your defence and take you time to pick a gun you like.
                            The Kart EBR was shockinglny shite, I tried one and was glad as it saved me wasting money. I thnk g& p or the like do an m14 to eBr conversion kit you could consider.

Comment

Hey guys, wheras I always try and respect most opinions on here, why the anti two tone hysterics? if you get a bargain in two tone buy it, use it, get your defence and spray it, there's enough top notch guns on here, sprayed various camo's and things, so what differance does the original colour make then? also a lot of two tones, are only two toned on the hand guard and stock, so that's an easy change anyway, two tone doesnt look great but it's a start and for the cost of half a dozen rentals, you've got your own gun, so i'd say buy, say, a clear G&G, play your games, get registered, then, change the reciever if you like, though, I still think a tin of Krylon does the trick
                              "This is my rifle, it's just a toy one, there are many like it, they're toy ones too, without it, i'm £250 better off, without me, it gathers dust in the corner, we're just big boys playing soldiers, lets try and remember that" play fair have fun.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

jakeythesnake Find out more about jakeythesnake
                              Working...
                              X