Turning 18 and UKARA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning 18 and UKARA

Okay so I'll be 18 in just under a year and I was thinking about getting UKARA registered myself (previously it's just been my dad 'gifting' RIFs to me). The whole '3 times in no less than two months' specification, can I have two games before I turn 18 and then when I turn 18 have the third game and then be registered, or do my 3 games have to be played after I turn 18?

Cheers guys!

Re: Turning 18 and UKARA

so what your really saying is you've pretty much just turned 17 ?, in which case, carry on as you are with your dad "gifting" you stuff.
    a lot could happen in nearly a year, including changes to the current legislation that enables players to buy/own rifs, i wouldn't worry about your own ukara until your eligible.
    although, if your playing regularly at a local site (no mention of names) , prob be best to have a chat with them closer to your birthday, i'm sure they could accomodate a regular player to a speedier resolution, given time served & all that.

Comment

Strangely for this forum, this is actually the first time I've heard this question.

I'd suggest that you only need to 'be 18 and a regular skirmisher' to register with UKARA, not 'have been a regular skirmisher since you turned 18.' With that in mind, you probably don't need to have even played a game since you turned 18, if your site is happy to vouch for the fact that you area regular skirmisher with them and are now 18.
      102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Comment

I have asked this very question to two of my local sight right before I was 18, they both told me that all three of the games have to occur after you're 18, sorry buddy
        Cardiff University Airsoft Society
        Like our Facebook page.
        And subscribe to our YouTube channel!
        sigpic

Comment

I'd suggest that, whilst that may be the interpretation of the guidance ads by those particular sites, it is no way a set in stone rule. I'm sure the fact that by doing in this way a site is more likely to make more money from you will have nothing to do with the decision they make...
          102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Comment

I did think that too, but what was I to do? Maybe the best thing to do with your site is say to them I'm going to be 18, I've attended numerous skirmished at your site over the years, next time I'm in can you fill out my UKARA? Then see if they tell you you have to do 3 more I guess.
            Cardiff University Airsoft Society
            Like our Facebook page.
            And subscribe to our YouTube channel!
            sigpic

Comment

Technically if the site knows that you have been a regular skirmisher, and will vouch for that there is no reason why would couldn't get a site membership upon turning 18. I'd just ask at the site, the process could be shorter than you expected.

Comment

Thanks very much guys, I'll talk to the site owner and see what he says specifically as it seems there aren't specific regulations about this

Comment

Originally posted by GhostDivisionAirsoft View Post
                  Thanks very much guys, I'll talk to the site owner and see what he says specifically as it seems there aren't specific regulations about this
                  Don't speak too soon. I'm sure one of the regular pedants will be along shortly to quote the specific chapter and verse where the Wikipedia article states it as fact.

I think you should be able to get site registered as soon as you turn 18.
                  There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

Minimum registration age for UKARA is 18. This is because it is a retailers organisation, and they are only interested in ensuring you can provide them with a defence against prosecution under the VCRA. As you cannot buy any kind of imitation firearm when you are under 18, there would be little point you being allowed to register when below that age.

Once you hit 18, you should be able to register straight away, as long as you meet the requirements (3 games in more than two months). Whether those games occurred before you were 18 or not is immaterial. Of course, as with all things related to the VCRA, it is open to a great deal of interpretation, but nowhere does it state that you have to be 18 to be a skirmisher with a defence (there was a long discussion regarding "manufacturing"RIF's and under 18's a while ago too.)

It'll be down to whoever administers the scheme at your local site, whether they are right or wrong. Worst case you have to wait a few weeks longer to buy your RIF (though most retailers will give the site a ring and check if you are a skirmisher).

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobySnacks View Post
                      Of course, as with all things related to the VCRA, it is open to a great deal of interpretation, but nowhere does it state that you have to be 18 to be a skirmisher with a defence (there was a long discussion regarding "manufacturing"RIF's and under 18's a while ago too.)
                      The UKAPU seem to be under the impression that under 18's can utilise the defence in order to manufacture a RIF from an IF and state 'Under 18’s are allowed to ‘manufacture’ RIFs once they are entitled to the defence, that means to say that they themselves can paint their two tone black once they have become a skirmisher (many sites have junior membership schemes)'. Can find the statement towards the bottom of the 'Buying Airsoft Replicas and the VCRA' section.

Comment

Indeed Fil, and I agree with them on that.

Nowhere does it state that there is an age restriction on the manufacturing of RIF's, only the purchase.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

GhostDivisionAirsoft I can am grammar Find out more about GhostDivisionAirsoft
                        Working...
                        X