This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defining 'a Gift'....

Hi, I'm under 18 and was interrested in buying a Tm VSR/ JG BAR10 off these forums...

Little did I know that it was illegal for me to to get an adult to buy an airsoft gun on behalf of me, which i have done before. Thanks to Rockinrobbin's guide on the VCRA act I am now wiser.

I would like to point out that there was no malicious intent with guns I wanted to purchase or have owned, I am simply an airsofter, nothing more.

However, I would like the term 'Gift' to be more outlined, I was given an AEG for my birthday (today incidentally...) and I am worried I have broken the law.

This is the quote outlining this section:

Q: I'm under the age of 18, can I own a RIF or an IF?
    A: Yes. VCRA makes no mention of age limits in relation to owning a RIF or IF.

Q: But, as I'm too young to buy one, how can I get one legally?
    A: That is a more complex issue. If you already own it, there is nothing wrong with this at all. If you don't own it, then things get more complicated. The act only refers to the sale and purchase of RIFs and IFs in relation to age, it makes no mention whatsoever of them being given as gifts. So, in theory (and, again, this is an area of hot dispute), there is nothing to stop you being given either a RIF or an IF if it is a genuine gift. Remember, the act makes the assumption that an offence has been committed unless you can prove that it hasn't, it's not up to the police to prove that you gave up your pocket money, Christmas gifts, Birthday presents (etc.) in exchange for an Airsoft gun, it's up to you to prove that you didn't. This is known as an absolute offence and this means that there is no innocent until proven guilty assumption made. If in any doubt whatsoever, don't do anything in return for a gift of a RIF/IF.

Your views please

Dan

Re: Defining 'a Gift'....

How hard can it be. If it's a gift it's a gift. End of discussion.

Comment

Put simply, somebody else needs to use their money and purchase it with the intent of presenting it to you as a gift.

Giving the buyer the money with the intent for them to purchase it on your behalf COULD be construed as breaking these laws.

I don't think anybody has been prosecuted for it, especially not parents, but it is technically against the law.

Comment

I would say as well is doing jobs for it would be illegal too as that contrus as working off the dept, so you have worked to pay back what you owe, however proving that would be very difficult indeed!
        section 24 of the 1968 Act
        Supplying imitation firearms to minors
        1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
        2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

so many things are `technically` against the law...

airsoft is full of grey areas- so long as your not stopped from doing it, and your not going to rob a shop or something, it's ok. lol
          When the 404 error message gets a 404 error message, you know it's bad...

Comment

Originally posted by Evilllamas View Post
            so many things are `technically` against the law...

airsoft is full of grey areas- so long as your not stopped from doing it, and your not going to rob a shop or something, it's ok. lol
            Here we go again. Exploiting loop holes is the sort of thing that will get our sport banned
            sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

da1994 Find out more about da1994
            Working...
            X