Brush up on "Defense".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brush up on "Defense".

Basically I know that under 18 you can't get UKARA. However as I have been airsofting around 6 times at the same place is there anyway in any circumstances where that will be good. Also if I am to buy a gun on here can my Dad pay for it but as I have a defense can i receive it non two tone. I know retailers can't but thats another story...

So, do I have a defense in any way?

Re: Brush up on "Defense".

As far I'm aware, you should be able to say you have a defense, as long as the site could confirm you are a regular, or if you have some form of junior site membership. However, as you are under 18 you can't buy RIFs/IFs.

As far as I'm aware, you can't transfer your defense against the VCRA to your dad, so he would have to get a similar defense to be able to purchase a RIF, and then gift it to you.

Dan

EDIT: Re-read your post, and even when trading with people on this forum, same rules apply I think.

Comment

no, your dad not being a player would need to buy two tone

Comment

Did you see the VCRA/ UKARA section? You missed it, but moved it for you!

If you are under 18, you cannot buy a RIF, or an IF. Therefore, if you were to acquire one in any way other than an over 18 gifting one to you (present, two tone) then you're committing an illegal Act.

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaffa View Post
          If you are under 18, you cannot buy a RIF, or an IF. Therefore, if you were to acquire one in any way other than an over 18 gifting one to you (present, two tone) then you're committing an illegal Act.
          I thought you could gift RIFs too?

Comment

Originally posted by Gaffa View Post
            Did you see the VCRA/ UKARA section? You missed it, but moved it for you!

Ooops, sorry. It's been a hard day. Thanks for the answers.

Comment

Originally posted by da1994 View Post
              I thought you could gift RIFs too?
              Theoretically, you can. But for him to be gifted a RIF, his dad would have to buy the RIF. That means his dad would have to have a defence...

Comment

Yeah as above, that's what I meant. Anything can be gifted of course, but in order to obtain that gift, you must be registered (non two tone), or over 18 (two tone).

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

Oh, that reminds me: Please edit the title to "Defence", and change your spell checker to UK English, not US.

Comment

Lets keep things really simple.

VCRA says that to be a regular player you must play at a site with 3rd party insurance. It doesn't say how many times, whether or not you have to play at one site only, or mention age. So, assuming the sites you play at are "normal" skirmish sites, which have to carry insurance, you have a valid defence.

This defence will let you import and build/modify/convert RIFs.

VCRA makes it illegal for:

a) An under-18 to purchase, or attempt to purchase, any form of imitation firearm.

b) Anyone to sell any form of imitation firearm to a person under-18.

c) Anyone to sell a realistic imitation firearm (RIF) to anyone who does not have a valid defence, which can be proved to the satisfaction of the seller (after all, it's them that will end up in court on their own if the purchaser is 18 or over and both of you if they are under-18).

d) Anyone attempting to purchase an imitation firearm using falsified information will be guilty of both fraud (obtaining goods by deception) and conspiracy to purchase an imitation firearm in contravention of VCRA.

e) Anyone who purchases an imitation firearm on behalf of a person who does not qualify to purchase a restricted item is also guilty of conspiracy to purchase.

Gifting is a very grey area. My personal belief (and it is only a personal one) is that there is nothing in VCRA to prevent it. The firearms act and the air weapons regulations both specifically prevent the gifting of air weapons to persons under the correct age. On this basis, if they had wanted VCRA to prevent gifting, all they would need to have done was to include a clause that made it illegal. BUT, if a court case finds that gifting is illegal, then there will be court-set precedent and all future cases should follow that decision.

Equally, converting is frowned upon by the home office. I've personally seen correspondence from them which says that they do not approve of individuals converting non-realistic guns into realistic ones as that was not the intention of VCRA. Again, until there has been a case which goes (potentially) all the way to the supreme court then there will be no definite answer.

Bottom line; play safe and stick to the rules. You are under-18 and, as much as you may not like it, the law won't allow you to purchase anything until you get to 18 and will make it illegal for you parents to purchase on your behalf or to purchase a RIF to gift to you.

The law is a pain where regular players under-18 are concerned, we all know that, but nowhere near as painful as having thousands of pi**ed off players around the country hating you if you supply the court case that ends the sport!
                    sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

RPK for president. Love to airsoft whenever possible ,but Saturday school is a bitch! Find out more about RPK for president.
                    Working...
                    X