Over 18 for Parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over 18 for Parts?

If someone under the age of 18 were to own a non two-tone GBBR (gifted by a family member with UKARA or w/e, irrelevant to this question) are they then allowed to buy parts for it, i.e. a new bolt, new pistol grip etc. (not inc. new receivers) or do you still have to be over 18 to buy those?

Also same question with regard to mags, do you need to be over 18 to purchase mags?

Re: Over 18 for Parts?

No you do not have to be over 18 to buy parts of any type I believe same for the mags to

Comment

Agreed. Parts are fine to buy (though I don't know what happens if you buy enough individual parts to make a gun...) even if you're a 14 year-old who has never skirmished, I believe!

Comment

Originally posted by KaRcop View Post
        I don't know what happens if you buy enough individual parts to make a gun...) even if you're a 14 year-old who has never skirmished, I believe!
        That would be classed as manufacture (assuming the end result is a RIF) so therefore caught by the VCRA

Just the same as repainting brightly coloulored parts to a gun like colour to take it under the 51% threshold
        Originally posted by palmer234
        Swerve talks sense. I like him.
        Originally posted by Robin-Hood
        Swerve does in fact talk sense, I also like him.

Comment

My understanding:
          Buying parts is perfectly fine, even if it is enough to make a RIF. It's the actual building of the RIF that's illegal.
          Only reason you'd have to provide a defence is if you were buying enough parts to make a RIF off one person. Even then, that's legally fine (again, as long as you're not intending to make a new RIF) and most people will only check just to cover themselves in case you did make a new RIF with it.

Comment

Nope, shouldn't need to be. I asked the very same question when I paid for my SG552 receiver and it was fine.
            dsgdreamteam

Comment

Originally posted by -=256=-Swerve View Post
              That would be classed as manufacture (assuming the end result is a RIF) so therefore caught by the VCRA

Just the same as repainting brightly coloulored parts to a gun like colour to take it under the 51% threshold
              That makes sense :-)

Comment

Thanks to everyone for clearing that up

Comment

Parts are fine to buy for under 18's.

Regarding painting/manufacturing a RIF - I don't think this has ever been tested in court yet. If an under 18 painted their 2 tone black (or changed the parts) but was responsible and only ever used it for skirmish days how is that different to an under 18 being gifted a RIF?

Is it manufacturing a RIF? It was a RIF before the shop got the snot green spray out on it.
                  JG & TM G36's/CA,JG,TM & WE M4's/TM MP5K/TM & KJW SIG P226's/A&K M249/ACM M500 SSB/3 x TM M3 Super90/TM Hi Capa/TM & ASG MK23 Socom's/WE Baby Hi Capa/KJW M92f/Star L85A2/2 x DE M3 Clone/A&K Magpul Masada

Comment

The VCRA is pretty clear with regards to manufacture, and it has nothing to do with how responsible said under 18 fella might be.

In short, to be able to manufacture, you have to be able to claim one of the specific defences, and an under 18 cannot claim ANY of the specific defences.

Therefore an under 18 cannot manufacture. It's really that simple.

Comment

and an under 18 cannot claim ANY of the specific defences.

Therefore an under 18 cannot manufacture. It's really that simple.
                      No, it's not that simple.
                      AFRA membership is open to 16+, and reenactment is a specific defence in the VCRA (unlike airsoft).
                      Sale to under 18s is specifically prohibited, but manufacture doesn't have an age restriction specified.

Comment

That's genuinely interesting!

Comment

Would that also mean that an under 18 could manufacure a RIF if they can claim the purposes:

the purposes of a museum or gallery
                          the purposes of theatrical performances and of rehearsals for such performances
                          the production of films/TV

All the above do not seem to include any defined age as with AFRA

Of course, if a RIF is manufactured and a defence is claimed, it could only be used then in the relevant purpose, e.g. A RIF manufactured for film production should only be used for film production.

I was under the impression that the over 18 thing was an overarching requirement across the whole section, but apparently not!

Comment

Also where is the line drawn between manufactering and repairing? In a triggers Broom sense?

Comment

Of course, if a RIF is manufactured and a defence is claimed, it could only be used then in the relevant purpose, e.g. A RIF manufactured for film production should only be used for film production.
                              I'm not sure, but I do know some people use their AFRA membership as a defence to buy AEGs, etc. for skirmishing.

@migwar: "Repair" implies replacing parts with other similar parts. If the status (IF or RIF doesn't change, there is no "manufacture" as the assembled IF or RIF already existed. e.g. replacing a black handguard with a black RIS setup is OK as the gun was a RIF to begin with.
                              Where it gets grey is replacing bright green with black.
                              The general theory is that this is classed as "manufacture" because a RIF didn't exist, but was made out of an IF, as though the IF was one of the parts used in manufacture.
                              That said, I think "modifying an IF to beome an RIF" is specifically prohibited in the VCRA anyway.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Jcowley Find out more about Jcowley
                              Working...
                              X