Is this true?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this true?

Hey guys, just been reading around, and found something which really annoyed me. However, I figured before it really annoyed me I'd better check I'd got it right.

Browsing a well known retailer, I came across a pistol that, because of it's power, was classed as a air pistol. Interestingly, it didn't mention anything about UKARA. So I did a bit of digging - looks like you don't need any form of defence to buy a perfect replica if it's classed as an air gun. Is this true? Seems a bit unfair to me that I'm stuck with a vomit green gun for the next month or so, while anyone over the age of 18 can just pick up a replica air gun. Why is it that the sale of, what is essentially a toy, is so much more heavily regulated than the sale of a (somewhat) deadly weapon?

Cheers

Re: Is this true?

Yes it is true. If it's classed as an air weapon, you only need to be 18+. HOWEVER, you also can't buy it online and have it shipped to you - it must be a face-to-face sale.
    Some companies will personally deliver if you're close enough. As they are the seller, it satisfies the face-to-face requirement.
    Then you have the legal issue of should you be shooting an airgun at someone else?

And then there's the issue of who decided it was an air gun...

Basically, the VCRA was rushed to satisfy a vociferous minority, and has more holes than a colander.
    I mean: Why buy an imitation pistol to hold up a bank, when a deactivated real one is easy to get hold of anyway?

Comment

yes it is true and some sellers will even ship to you wherever you are-they simply dont seem to know thats its illegal or dont care
      For sale:

-Splitting M4
      -MP5 Parts
      -MP7a1
      -M9 Magazine

Comment

It's very simple when you think about it.

An airgun is covered under the firearms act which defines them as "low powered firearms". It cannot be both a firearm and an imitation firearm at the same time. The same thing is true for deacs, as they are still a firearm (which has been deactivated).

As said above, the restrictions on air weapons are actually much worse. OK, they are easier to buy if you are 18 or over, but that's it.

You can't sell them by post.
        You can't fire them within 50ft of the centre line of a public road.
        You can't own one if you are under-18.
        You can't gift them to anyone under-18.
        You can't use one if you're under-14 unless an over-21 supervises, even on private property.
        You can't use one under-18 unless you are on private property.
        You must ensure that the weapon and ammunition are not available to anyone under-18, so security cabinets are almost compulsory if you have children.
        etc
        etc
        etc

There are at least 38 different offences specifically relating to air weapons in the firearms act and the dangerous air weapons regulations.

Personally, I'll stick with VCRA please!
        sigpic

Comment

Just to add, the 50ft rule on airguns only applies in certain circumstances before anyone gets worried about using snipers/dmrs their gardens etc.

[Lifted from another website] It is an offence to fire an airgun within 50 feet of the centre of a public highway, If by doing so you cause any member of the public using that highway to be injured, interrupted or endangered. This applies even if you are on private property adjacent the highway. Public highways include roads, bridleways and public footpaths. [/Lifted from another website]
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Schnakey View Post
            Just to add, the 50ft rule on airguns only applies in certain circumstances before anyone gets worried about using snipers/dmrs their gardens etc.

[Lifted from another website] It is an offence to fire an airgun within 50 feet of the centre of a public highway, If by doing so you cause any member of the public using that highway to be injured, interrupted or endangered. This applies even if you are on private property adjacent the highway. Public highways include roads, bridleways and public footpaths. [/Lifted from another website]
            Spot on, but bear in mind that the same website carries on:

"These offences could be committed, for example, when someone is shooting in their garden close to a road and the pellets ricochet onto the highway."
            sigpic

Comment

Just out of curiosity, does it count if I'm over 50ft away...... vertically????

Comment

Originally posted by psirus101 View Post
                Just out of curiosity, does it count if I'm over 50ft away...... vertically????
                LOL.

There can't be an offence to answer here, as my client was shooting in a block of flats, right next to a public path, but 10 floors up m'lud.
                sigpic

Comment

OK cheers... guess I'll just go and feel angry about the injustice...

On a side note - what about a gas rifle with NPAS? Because that could count as both an airsoft rifle and an air rifle depending on the setting?

Comment

The definition is fuzzy, and I believe it's been stated before that the actual classification would be on an individually-tested basis as part of the criminal investigation into an offence.

Comment

Originally posted by No1_sonuk View Post
                      The definition is fuzzy, and I believe it's been stated before that the actual classification would be on an individually-tested basis as part of the criminal investigation into an offence.
                      Exactly.

ACPO have a guideline of 1J, but the CPS guidelines say that there is no minimum figure above which something becomes an airgun.

It will always depend on the results of lab tests carried out on the individual weapon, and ammunition, at a home office approved facility. If they feel it can inflict a lethal wound (which means skin penetration of more than a few mm), then it will be treated as a low powered firearm; ie an airgun.
                      sigpic

Comment

Got to love this country :D

38 laws about air gun usage, but no real definition of air gun. Nice

Comment

Originally posted by Airsofter123 View Post

sigpic

Comment

I think a lot of the law`s on rif`s is supposed to apply to people making a fake gun to hold up a bank or kids guns that look too realistic and of-course it was a whole bunch of junk the last government did to try to make it look like they were trying to fight crime and terrorism. Airsoft was just an unpredicted victim hence we got out Swiss cheese defence lol

Why use a deac when a banana in a paper bag is way cheaper and you can eat the evidence later ?
                            sigpic
                            Oh when will I get a decent knights stoner LMG aeg ?

P mags up for sale http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...encer-200mm-m4

Comment

Originally posted by Airsofter123 View Post

The truth is, any Country/Government which doesn't allow it's voters toy-guns isn't a Country/Government worth defending.
                              The first thing the Nazi's did when they came to power was ban rifle ownership, go figure.
                              The fact is, gun-ownership was a more Countryside pastime.
                              The majority of the voters live in the cities and believe Hollywood and the mass media.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Airsofter123 Find out more about Airsofter123
                              Working...
                              X