Legality of manufacturing an IF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legality of manufacturing an IF

I understand that it is illegal to manufacture a RIF without being over 18 and having a defence.
    However, I was wondering whether it would be legal for an under 18 to manufacture a two-toned IF?

If the manufacture of an IF is illegal then are you allowed to assemble any of the internals of an IF?

Thanks in advance

Re: Legality of manufacturing an IF

no its not illegal to assemble say for example a gearbox
    VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
    trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

Thanks, but do you know whether it would be legal to manufacture an IF as an under 18?

Comment

There are no age restrictions in the VCRA other than sale to, or buying by, someone under 18.

Comment

The VCRA, afaik, only mentions the manufacture of Realistic Imitation Firearms as being an offence, there is nothing similar for the manufacture of an imitation firearm. However the VCRA does make the purchase of an imitation firearm by anyone under 18 an offence and I wouldn't be suprised if a successful argument could be made that buying all the parts for an imitation firearm and assembling it yourself is equivalent to the purchase of an imitation firearm. On the other hand if someone over 18 were buying everything then I don't think there's anything in the VCRA which would make it illegal for someone under 18 to put it together.

Comment

I've often wondered when "manufacturing" begins.
            Does it start with molten metal/plastic and molds or does it start with body kit and gearbox?

After years of repairing AEGs I have a BIG box of airsoft parts. All the Body parts have come from "whole" broken RIFs ( In other words I haven't bought a Body only Kit).
            Now as all these bits used to be whole RIFs, IF I resembled them to produce a different 'custom' RIF have I manufactured??

Were does "Triggers broom" become manufacture?? ( for example 2 broken RIF's became 1 working RIF)

Unlike RealSteel serial numbered receiver or a car body with a VIN , which part of an AEG is the base part?? Which original part can you build from without "manufacturing"?

Comment

An IF doesn't need a gearbox - it just has to look like a gun, but painted bright colours. By adding a gearbox you are manufacturing a bb gun not an Imitation Firearm. A toy cap gun painted 51% bright colours is an IF, a toy cap gun painted black to look real is a RIF - neither actually fire a projectile but both could be used to hold up a bank or threaten people with. This is what the VCRA set out to do - not stop people playing a sport - hence the shakey Home Office dispensation for airsoft.

I would have thought the sale of complete body parts (ie one complete guns worth) to under 18's would be against the law but in reality if they bought bits from various sources and put them together there is very little that could be done about it - but also if they went to that much trouble and gained the knowledge to build a weapon the chances are they are airsofters and will have some common sense.

Most RIF's and IF's used in crimes will be the market stall rubbish that is very easy to get hold of (or actual real-steel Eastern European pistols that are cheaper to buy than the equivalent Tokyo Mauri airsoft pistol).
              JG & TM G36's/CA,JG,TM & WE M4's/TM MP5K/TM & KJW SIG P226's/A&K M249/ACM M500 SSB/3 x TM M3 Super90/TM Hi Capa/TM & ASG MK23 Socom's/WE Baby Hi Capa/KJW M92f/Star L85A2/2 x DE M3 Clone/A&K Magpul Masada

Comment

I know that you don't need any functioning parts to make an IF. A solid wood model gun is still a RIF if you paint it black.

I was just playing devils advocate and trying to get someone to define 'manufacture' and 'assembly' in a legal context.

I was thinking back 20+ years to when I used to buy 1:1 airfix-style plastic model kits from a Japanese manufacturer which were, once assembled, fully working exact copies of the real steel. My thought was that the model company manufacturedthe model kit and I assembled the kit to make a RIF.

My exact point was that if you take 2 RIFs, say a SPR and a M4 stubbly and break them both down into barrel, receivers and stocks you now have 0 RIFs and legally just a box of parts not covered buy the VCRA. Now if I reassemble the bits swopping the barrels and stocks on the original receivers have I manufactured 2 NEW RIFs??.

If I buy and fit a new front end for an existing RIF most people would not consider that manufacture BUT were do you draw the line?

If you buy a TM m4 and then one by one replace the front end , then new stock, then metal body kit have you manufactured a new RIF? No original TM outer parts(RIF parts) remain but is it a case of "triggers broom"?? Now if you complete Theseus' paradox and reassemble the original TM outer parts to make the ORIGINAL RIF with cheap internals have you made a new second RIF or re-assembled the old one??

Comment

Thanks for the info although I will probably postpone making a gun (even if it is an IF) until I get UKARA just to stay on the safe side.
                  Many thanks nonetheless.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Hill Find out more about Hill
                  Working...
                  X