How not to treat paying customers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How not to treat paying customers

so this happened at EAG Dorking yesterday, wont ever be going back there!

The Gear Box Destroyer

Re: How not to treat paying customers

what is the rule they were talking about? I think my speakers are being a bit iffy.

Comment

I'd love it to be different to how it is, but I find that kind of language pretty standard. We get a lot of "tough guys" in this sport sometimes, who think the salty language and being abrasive makes them more credible and less likely to be messed with. Sad really. I do like it when I hit a site where the marshals don't feel like they should do this.

More sad, EAG was on my list for a visit, this does kinda bump them down.

Comment

Just out of interest, which bit did you have issue with? Obviously I wasnt there, but it seems like you have circled the opfor and are attacking them from the rear, which the marshall says you're not supposed to do (as mentioned in the brief). And was the game when you're dead you switch to the other side?
        It appears hes giving you instructions to go off and attack from the front as per the brief, rather than "killing" you, which is what he was doing first off.

Or is it the language you had problems with?

Comment

as a marshal, you can't just tell players to 'F**k Off'

in this case, you stop playing (Player Marshal) and pop on a hi vis, go and point out what is wrong and fix it...

all he had to do was pull himself out of the game, and tell stones and his two friends that this was covered in the brief, you can either go back and attack as per the rules or follow me and join in on this team.
          A little bit of courtesy goes a long way... and having met and spoken to (some of) the team, they're all reasonable people that will respect you if you return the same...
          -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
          -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

I replied to this incident elsewhere, might as well post up here too:
            As for the "fruity" language used, to be fair its an adrenaline fuelled game, & the marshal didn't address the players with any apparent anger or nastiness.
            Some people can use certain Anglo Saxon vernacular & it sounds fine, almost friendly, another guy could say the same thing & it sounds offensive, maybe even abusive, even when its not intended to be.

I also find that when well spoken peeps try to "tough it up" using swearing as an apparent tool, it invariably sounds wrong & doesn't convey their message effectively.......... SO STOP CURSING POSH BOYS LOL

Comment

Ha. You could be talking about me there Tackle. There is another explaination though for when a well-spoken gent goes salty. I work with children and at home I get a look over the top of Mrs Figjam's glasses if I curse too much. Airsoft day is cork out of bottle day as far as filthy language goes.

Comment

Tbh honest I don't see the problem here myself... He mentioned that it was in the brief and I'll give you the benifit of the doubt OK he said F Off wow I hear kids my sons age running round in the park saying worse then that...in my opinion it was banterous F Off.

If anyone thinks I'm wrong... do tell me to F Off I won't take offence honest...lol
                I'm on here so much I should be a moderator lool

Comment

I remember all those times when I worked in retail and told customers to fuck off. Oh wait that would be a massive breach of professionalism but seeing as it's Airsoft and no one seems to have standards I guess it's ok.

Comment

Problem is everyone perceives things differently, I personally have no problem with people speaking to me like that (was standard procedure at catterrick) but others may take it a different way.
                    For this reason the Marshall should have probably handled the situation better.
                    Roses are red,
                    Violets are blue,
                    In soviet russia,
                    Poem reads you!

Comment

Speaking as both a site manager and as someone who has marshalled airsoft/paintball for 8 years, I wouldn't tell someone to "F Off" unless I knew them well and it was clear it was a bit of banter. The tone of voice from both of the marshals there didn't come across to me that they were having a joke. It sounded like they were being serious which would rub me the wrong way if it was aimed at me.

Don't get me wrong, I swear a lot but when marshalling a game and directing players I will be polite about it and keep my language toned down. I've got nothing against swearing or banter in the hobby, but there are certainly better ways to speak to people.

Also don't think I'm slagging off the site or staff. I've played EAG sites before and have had nothing but good experiences with the staffing and running of the place. I just feel that the issue in the video could have been dealt with a bit more professionally. Just my 2p.

Comment

Iv looked at the video on YouTube and I believe the site owner/manager has commented on the video, made for interested reading,
                        I'm on here so much I should be a moderator lool

Comment

I can see an issue, its a woodland site.
                          New people to a site wont know where the perceived rear is. Its pretty easy to do unless its a very small area.
                          Tbh, Ive got some high tolerance for fruity language, in fact, I use it a lot myself but there was no need to talk like that, it seemed like a demand rather than guidance.
                          section 24 of the 1968 Act
                          Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                          1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                          2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Had a look at the comments. I still love the old 'why didn't you say something direct' line. Maybe its because they are angry about what happened and don't want to be 'handled'? I think if there was an expectation of genuine penitence people would raise it privately, but people post these things publicly to make someone sorry for what happened.

Comment

it won't let me watch the clip :/ Any tips on how to view it?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Stones Find out more about Stones
                              Working...
                              X