This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contact Emails - Must be shown?

This was just an idea, which actually solves two problems, off hand - could be more...

Basically, set the forum settings so that people's email addresses are always shown on the "contact info" page on people's profile...
    One of the comments made on one of the other threads was "we're all adult enough..." so I don't think there's much reason to object, unless you're worried about people sending you spam, which is very doubtful anyway.

The first problem this solves is the ultimate PM problem - some people send others messages, but just don't respond, or don't go on ZeroIn for a while. Accessing email is easier than accessing Z1 theoretically speaking, and with most modern mobile phones its a function included anyway.

The other problem it "semi-solves" is that of scammers. Obviously, you can't sign up to a forum if you've been banned, because its normally the email address which is blocked (IP's can be renewed easily). Now the person/ scammer could easily create a separate email account, but then again, it could be linked... eg an email - [email protected] could get banned, so I create another one, [email protected]
    But these are both similar, therefore probably linked. So if we start making accusations about someone being a scammer, we might be able to check by looking to see if they have a similar address.

I'm personally all for the idea of having your email address shown all the time. We all need them to sign up, right?

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Re: Contact Emails - Must be shown?

Agree with above post contact number pls.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaffa View Post
      I don't think there's much reason to object, unless you're worried about people sending you spam, which is very doubtful anyway.
      Not true I'm sorry to say. Just like Google has bots trawling the web automatically, indexing links and what is on them, spam is the same. Spam bots crawl pages online, harvesting anything that looks like an email address (***@***.com) and anything looks like a mobile no (11 digit number, 07*********).

Comment

nuff said

an my fellow users, should also think twice, about posting there Emails in the open forums.
        Last edited by Sci Fi Steve; 9 November, 2009, 08:40.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Gaffa Nicknamed "Gaffa" because I can be bossy, but get the job done! I'm built for comfort, not speed... Find out more about Gaffa
        Working...
        X