Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sales of non Airsoft guns

Hi guys,

I've been noticing lately that there have been sales posts for non-Airsoft guns, such as .177 or 4.5 Caliber, turning up.

Yes they are licensed RIF's but firing metal BB's you wouldn't want them turning up at your local skirmish site! I worry that with the current climate of the media looking to demonise our sport it's only going to provide ammo to the haters, plus where would it end? Air rifles, Crossbows, Samari swords??

I think the sales section of this forum should be for 6mm / 8mm only, with guns designed for metal ammo left to the world of air guns.

What do you guys think?

Re: Sales of non Airsoft guns

Any threads like that report them and they shall be moved to the 'Non-airsoft' Section as that is what its for.

Comment

If they are sold in the non-airsoft issue i see no drama in it - but i would say that as i have just sold an air rifle to a forum member.

Not all air weapons are RIFs - Air rifles have their own rules and regs and my air rifles are not based on any real steel counter part

I would like to think even dumbasses could tell the difference between an air rifle and an airsoft gun at a game day when everybody is loading plastic balls into mags and he thinks to himself "am i the only one using metal ammo".

Air rifle ownership is slacker than RIF. Purchasing can be harder depending on where you buy from. A retailer must do a face to face sale unless you live too far away to be practical. In which case a retailer can post to another registered retailer closer to home and the transaction is completed face to face.

Private sales can be completed via post provided you have no reason to believe the buyer is under 18.

I can gift an air rifle to anybody over the age of 14, but they MUST be supervised by a responsible adult. Responsible for their actions and punishments. If i take my nephew shooting and he shoots cattle or a woman on horse back or something equally illegal, I would be the one using soap on a rope for 5 - 10 years.

If the supervision is robust, such weapons would never make it to a skirmish site.

I think this a storm in a tea cup. Should we also ban hand grenade shape coffee mugs from the sales section in case some idiot decides to buy one and throw it at an event?

Comment

Originally posted by rizla View Post
        .177 or 4.5 Caliber

Yes they are licensed RIF's
        Are they?

I have an air rifle retailer local to me and he has these in a glass cabinet, needing nothing more than the user to be over 18 to purchase.

Comment

Air pistols such as Wather CP99s could be classed as RIFs as they have a real steel counterpart but they also have their own airgun laws and regulations.

Provided you pay attention to the more strict of the two laws you cant really fall foul.

My air rifle, a BSA Super 10 mk2 - Not a RIF as it doesn't resemble a REALISTIC gun.
          Most definitelty an IF as Stevie Wonder can tell it is a gun of some description.
          Must be sold face to face if from a shop or trader.
          May be sold via post if by an individual
          Can only be sold to over 18s

My Walther P22 9mm blank firer
          RIF all the way - although not airsoft nor air weapon - same rules apply as selling a RIF

My Walther CP99 .177 (4.5mm) air pistol
          Falls under both RIF and air weapon laws - this is where even i get confused.
          Air weapon - sale to over 18s only. No defence required, can be of a realistic paint scheme.
          RIF - sale to over 18s only. Defence required or needs to be two toned

In this instance i would roll with the laws regarding a RIF as they are stricter criteria than the air weapon stuff.

As a side note:
          When selling any IF or RIF many private courier firms have the right to refuse carriage. The Royal Mail however lost a case in which they tried to refuse carriage and as such MUST carry any LEGAL IF or RIF. Althought he firm is legally bound to carry the items, the counter clerk may not be too hot on the subject and you could be banging your head off of a brick wall trying to get them to accept a package.

Package in such a way that the contents are not obvious - square box? and if you need to fill out declaration paperwork be truthful but vauge.

Air weapons - sporting goods/equipment
          Airsoft (R)IFs - Hobby / sporting / model
          Accessories - model parts

I have to post from Germany so i need a customs declaration on everything - G&G hicaps is on one declaration, which is EXACTLY the contents of the package, another is for a TM tracer unit, again the correct declaration - but as for the air rifle - that went under sporting goods. Although i am perfectly within the law, i can just do without the aggrovation.

Hope this answers more questions than it raises.

Comment

Bottom line is I can buy a Umarex .177 Co2 MP5 PDW today with nothing more than proof of age (not that I should need even that at my age) I've not seen one retailer online that needs anything other than the owner to be over 18.

To buy a Cyma 6mm AEG MP5 PDW I have to prove some form of defence against the VCRA.

The Umarex isn't classed as a RIF in the eyes of the law the Cyma is, it's as simple as that!!

Comment

Pretty much.

But if you are getting .177 from a dealer/shop it MUST bea face to face sale, and the last time i bought one (and sold to a shop for that matter) they also required proof of address. A valid photo driving licence squares both of these critetia away for you.

Comment

Its all about the size of your balls

Comment

A gun can not be classed as an "air weapon" and a "rif" at the same time

So any .177 or .22 pistol or rifle that is under the limits to not need the buyer to have a FAC can look as realistic as it wants it`s a massive hole in the RIF law but at the moment an air weapon if passed for sale in the UK can not be classed as a RIF because it is an air weapon.

One would hope that now days they only allow the less realistic ones to be sold in the uk but many many air guns I`ve seen look as real as most airsoft guns and far more real then the old banana in a bag yet the are not and can not be classed as RIF`s just like a deactivated gun is not and can not be classed as a RIF.
                  sigpic
                  Oh when will I get a decent knights stoner LMG aeg ?

P mags up for sale http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...encer-200mm-m4

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

rizla Find out more about rizla
                  Working...
                  X