Captcha when making a new thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captcha when making a new thread

Well I'm fed up with all these crappy threads about Handbags or Fashion or whatever and im guessing everyone else is too, so is there a way to use Captcha for making a new thread as im assuming its an automated thing posting the rubbish?
    If they are automated it would stop them being posted and get rid of the problem

Re: Captcha when making a new thread

The sign up process needs to be tightened up is all, it's spam accounts in the first place.

Comment

On another board I use they have a n00b period where people can't post for the first week after they have signed up. It cuts it down a lot, but doesn't eradicate it. What is noticeable is spammers often sign up and then seem to forget about the account until months or even years later, then spam and get banned.

Worth either that or perhaps a captcha until you have got out of "Cadet" ranking, that way they have to do a good number of real posts before they can do without. may filter out loads.

Comment

That rule does seem a bit stupid to me, if you signing up... you probably planning on posting. Otherwise you could just read as a guest?

Comment

I think the logic was so people would have to spend a week just reading and that would maximize the chances of them getting the idea that a dim view is taken of "wot gun am the bestest?" threads and the like.
          Obviously you can't educate pork, but its an idea.

Comment

That specific idea was tested on here and created FAR too much of a headache as those too dumb to work out that their account was locked until such time simply started complaining that the forum was broken.

I have changed the human verification settings which will hopefully stop the new accounts from being created (that is assuming it is a clever bot and not an asshat at a keyboard).

Comment

Captcha won't eradicate spammers because most bots have the ability to include a captcha solving service that runs automatically.

Comment

Q&A is the ultimate anti-bot, ask them 'what sport if this forum based around?' or similar, none will get 'airsoft'

I will be at the NAE 27th-30th August and replies to messages may be slow, bear with me!

Comment

Originally posted by CK View Post
                  Q&A is the ultimate anti-bot, ask them 'what sport if this forum based around?' or similar, none will get 'airsoft'
                  I think this is the way to go, but I think that one particular example may be a bit too obvious considering it says Airsoft in the Zero In banner :P.

I was about to suggest an alternative, but cant think of one! Much harder than I thought...haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Figjam View Post
                    Obviously you can't educate pork
                    ROTFLMHAAO!

I think I just wee'd a little.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Thingy I like guns me Find out more about Thingy
                    Working...
                    X