This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advertising

Now while I understand the rules of advertising on this forum, I didn't know that the mods would count manufacturers as advertising, as I was under the impression it was retailers only.

A while back I had some magazines to sell, so like other users I made a signature letting the users know that they were available. The signature had the STAR symbol in it.

My Signature was removed.

No PM or no notice what so ever, and quite embarrassingly the mod left a note for all to see in it's place. Which I felt had been done on purpose.

I asked a mod, and he said putting in the STAR symbol was advertising. And therefore against the rules.

Am I the only one who fails to see the logic in that?

Retailers fair enough - but manufacturers?
    This is an Airsoft forum after all, should we not be able to mention and discuss manufacturers???

In my personal opinion I just feel the mod didn't like me having the Signature but couldn't find anything in the rule book to justify removal, and so interpreted 'advertising' in such a retarded way that he could remove it.

Any opinions on this?

Bravo.

Last edited by bravotwozero; 25 December, 2010, 20:18.

Re: Advertising

not sure mate, it all going to pot again many think with all the sig banning, etc

but they must have there reasons

but with manufactures, it abit pity as most people are showing names and parts on different guns in their sigs

but hey , they will reply with their reason hopefully

Comment

Maybe something to do with being able to buy from STAR?
      Google the name and you'll get their retail website popup.

Was it possible that the image had watermarks, or links embedded in it? =/
      Or was it simply because STAR sell airsoft gear as well as manufacture it?

But tbh the mods do a marvelous job 99% of the time. Even I couldn't patrol this site half the time, and I spend far too much time online!
      sigpic

Comment

Actually googling star doesn't provide any links relating to airsoft, not even up to page 5 (couldn't be bothered going any further).

As the star symbol was an image, it couldn't have had links in it because of this forums Image resizer, which makes all images, even the sig images, pop out (note only applies if you're linking to the image as opposed to uploaded it to ZeroIn directly, but my guess is B20 did in fact host it).

I'm wondering if I took a picture of the "Tokyo Marui Made in Japan" markings on a gun I was trying to sell, say for example, my M14 - I wonder if the image would be deleted? I'd guess not - but if you really want to define advertising to the extent that B20 has shown, then yes it would appear that image would need to be deleted... Which in my eyes is ludicrous.

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

No sigs have had advertising in for items for sale

But hey it's new year so might be a new set up with out us knowing til next year
          July time

Comment

there going to start loosing members on here i think if it starts getting to the point you cant even customize your profile. since (as i am aware) zero one sell star i really cant see what the problem is. i wish they would let you know when they've done something a bit disputatious

Comment

I advertised my little babywear shop in my sig and was told to remove that...Work that out. I didn't realise Zero one sold nappies!
              Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Grounded_Pilot View Post
                  Maybe something to do with being able to buy from STAR?
                  Google the name and you'll get their retail website popup.

Was it possible that the image had watermarks, or links embedded in it? =/
                  Or was it simply because STAR sell airsoft gear as well as manufacture it?
                  The symbol was not watermarked in anyway.

All it had was :

'STAR - Airsoft guns & accessories'

And in no way was it linked to another retailer's site.

(I'm assuming it's still ok to write STAR ? Maybe I'm advertising? )

Anyway,

The thing that really annoyed me was the message left in it's place.
                  The mod took the time to write the message for all to see, but didn't bother to write a polite and private PM explaining the removal.

Not trying to have a prod at the mods, but I felt like they could of explained themselves a little better and had the decency to write a private PM instead of making it a public display.

Bravo.

Comment

Yeah the logo was just a star

No embedding as it was just written over the mag picture

Beyond a joke again

Comment

Ok, I let some one advertise a baby shop on this forum, then some one else comes along and advertises their sweet shop, then some one else their clothes shop, then some one else a military clothes shop, who then argues with me for removing their ad because "Well everyone else is doing it". Unfortunately some users can never see the bigger picture and think they are being picked on.

The quickest and easiest way to stop that is to stop/remove ANY and ALL forms of retail advertising on this forum. I am sure you don't want 100's of ads in people's sigs.

Comment

surely as soon as it gets to military shops its conflicting with the rules. a baby shop doesn't scratch the rules. sometimes i think mods take a lot into there own hands which aren't listed in the rules if its listed then who can argue? i understand that we dont want loads of ads for stuff not relative but a simple pm to the o.p wouldn't go a miss

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage View Post
                          Ok, I let some one advertise a baby shop on this forum, then some one else comes along and advertises their sweet shop, then some one else their clothes shop, then some one else a military clothes shop, who then argues with me for removing their ad because "Well everyone else is doing it". Unfortunately some users can never see the bigger picture and think they are being picked on.

The quickest and easiest way to stop that is to stop/remove ANY and ALL forms of retail advertising on this forum. I am sure you don't want 100's of ads in people's sigs.
                          So what you're saying is, instead of abiding by the rules and ONLY removing ads of competitors of zeroone, you'd rather take the lazy option of just not bothering to let anyone advertise things even though they aren't competitors of zeroone or against the forum rules? Basically just saving yourselves a little time and effort.

You say someone advertising military clothing would whine about not being able to advertise their stuff even though a guy selling nappies is able to. I'm pretty sure people on this forum are smart enough to realise what is competing against zeroone and what is not.

And if they whine, well then they haven't read the rules properly.

That what it sounds like to me.

Comment

I think all Rampage means is the Mods are trying to prevent the forums from being cluttered.

Afterall, we already have a classified section...

But I think the main complaint here is how the mods dealt with the problem, not wondering why the sig was removed in the first place.

You get Pm'd for infractions (I should know :p) so editing someone's sig should be the same 100% of the time.
                            sigpic

Comment

thats the problem this forum "gardening" does it really matter how clean it looks? it shouldn't mean going against rules. i think "it makes the forum look untidy" is a poor excuse to go against rules and not bother letting you know when they've done it

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

bravotwozero Eyes on. Find out more about bravotwozero
                              Working...
                              X