Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should GIF's be disabled

Hey guys,

Now just an idea that has been running around in my head due to something I was made aware of by another user.

Would you like .GIFs to be disabled? (i.e. the small animations in signatures and avatars.)

My reason for disabling it would be the fact that some users abuse the fact and use animations that are huge in size (way over 1mb), this in turn makes pages a lot slower to load for people on a small bandwidth, wastes peoples download limits i.e. if you are on a download limit with your ISP you wouldn't be too happy at losing an mp3 files worth of your allowance by someone with a huge GIF in their sig. This and the fact it also takes hard drive space up on the server etc.

Please vote yes or no then state your reasons below.
    Yes
    17.20%
    No
    52.69%
    No but I do want a size limit cap
    30.11%

This Post may contain my opinions and if you disagree with them Tough S**T!

Re: Should GIF's be disabled

all im going to say is..4chan..youll be surprised their servers dont implode backwards create a blackhole and then spit it back out..and then explode as normal

to be honest gifs on here arent that common..theres about 6 of us ive counted who have gifs..me..boris..lukey..who else

Comment

Na, I don't think so, they're pretty funny to look at usually. Also, they never slow down pages for me.

Comment

Nah. I don't find they make any differance to my load times.
        Life is a short warm moment, death is a long cold rest,
        you get your chance to try, in the twinkling of an eye,
        eighty years with luck or even less.

Comment

Unless you empty your temp files after every time you see a gif then I don't see what the issue is. It's pre cached into your temp files after you've seen it
          Last edited by HuntR; 13 February, 2011, 15:31. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I hardly ever get problems with 1.5MBPS MAX, even on GIF/picture threads.

Originally posted by Ominous Slayer
            A brain?
            Originally posted by snuff
            Can I borrow yours it's hardly used...

Comment

The only time they effect me is when I go on the forum on my iphone not using tapatalk were is slows it down a lot
              TAE

Comment

phones will generally have trouble with them but thats to be expected

Comment

The only one i've actually had a problem with was Boris' old black guy one. Other than that, it's fine!

Comment

Gif's in general are smaller sized than JPEG's.... Animated gifs like you find here with only 3 or 4 frames are gonna be small and really don't effect performace any more than someones oversized picture in their "show us toyur guns" thread that is around 1.2meg.......!

The Unit-13 Vipers are Recruiting
                    Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Uni...92968847384478
                    UK Airsoft Wiki Moderator

Comment

No problem for me, and I use phone/iPad internet all the time,
                      Right now in fact lol

TM 226r, SYSTEMA PTW, Custom built m4, DE shotty, what else would a man need ?

Comment

I voted No (don't ban them) but I'm on shitband (around 52Kb/s) so they do affect my load times. I'm happy to put up with long load times for good quality picture threads but when it takes over a minute to load a simple discussion thread my patience runs thin. Cap of 250Kb for animations, I say.

(and, yes, I know I had a 1.5Mb one t'other day but didn't realise how big it was until it wiped-out my Photobucket bandwidth and cost me $25 in the process!) :D

Comment

Peno

HOW THE HELL is it even possible to still get 52kb internet..

that deserves a knighting

Comment

Well, it's still classified as "broadband" (over 50Kb/s) so "that'll be £19.00 per month, f*ck you very much"...

I'm nearly 10km away from the nearest exchange and the copper is in a shit state...

Comment

im pretty sure im miles miles away from my nearest exchange and we just got upgraded for free tooooo ..hang on speed check time

well i can get 5mb to 10mb of download speed, hardly an accurate test but im pretty sure my nearest exchange is like in london

cable on virgin btw

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

aribos Find out more about aribos
                              Working...
                              X