Collapse

Scammers, tricksters, and under age...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scammers, tricksters, and under age...

I'm not quite up to speed with how the forum runs behind the scenes, but it seems to me that thieves/scammers/whatever you may call them seem to get away with things time and again.
    The number of underage players trying to buy weapons on the forums seems to of increased.
    People not sending items they have been paid for are on the rise.

What actions can the moderators take to prevent or stop these actions? I'm throwing this out there to see if there is something that can be done.

The underage tag idea is good, but i know that it isnt possible to guarentee that somebody isnt lieing about their age. It has been discussed in the past, things like using credit cards etc. and paying a very small fee to have access to the sales sections of the forum. Now, i dont agree with this, as its a free forum with people who spend a lot of their own personal time to look after it all. However, i do feel that something needs to be done about the number of people who are conducting illegal activities on the forums. We must all remember, selling to, or ATTEMPTING TO BUY if under the age of 18 is illegal.
    The moderators do an exemplary job here, and whilst we may sometimes get mad at them for deleting our posts, i know that there is a reason behind it.

I do think however that it is time for something to be done about people who abuse the rules, the law, and who trick and scam other honest players. I thankfully have never had an incident whilst buying or selling (mainly because i do all my buying or selling face to face). It seems though i am one of the few who hasnt.

I would be intrested to have a mod explain if there are contingencies for players who abuse the rules, scam, trick etc on having accounts blocked / removed / Access to sections revoked. Same could apply for under age players. Im not sure on the ability to do this, as i have by no means website or forum knowledge. I just think it would be beneficial to be reassured that something is being done about those who are dishonest, scam etc etc etc.

If there is not something in place, then why not?

This post is by no means a derogative post against the mods. Far from it. Its more one of intrest. It is all upon the seller or buyer here to ensure that they take the precautions necessary, but in the event that somebody is found untruthful, is there something that is done about it, other than just the reputation system, which isnt without its small faults (i.e. somebody leaves a bad feedback, the other person counters with an excuse, like 'messed me about'. Petty arguments etc.)

Thanks in advance, would appreciate MOD input. Dont turn this into a bitchy thread people. Its nothing like that.

Re: Scammers, tricksters, and under age...

Maybe have everyone blocked from the sales section and to get it unlocked you must show some ID to show your age. Then the mods could also keep a record and take action against scammers.
    Lady Astor (first woman MP in the House of Commons): "Mr Churchill, if you were my husband, I'd put poison in your tea."
    Winston (getting unsteadily to his feet): "Madam, if I were your husband ... I'd drink it."

Comment

Originally posted by Stickybomb View Post
      Maybe have everyone blocked from the sales section and to get it unlocked you must show some ID to show your age. Then the mods could also keep a record and take action against scammers.
      Been suggested before, the logistics behind it meant that it was unfeasable. Also, that brings in the whole data protection act, holding peoples details etc.

Comment

Its not a Mods job to ensure a sale goes smooth its just down to both parties, The only way to stop scamming would be to only do a face to face sale

Comment

A few american sites do that, apparently a right nause...funnily enough they arnt too popular as people cant be bothered with the hassle.

Just as soon as they have attempted to buy underage, ban em, people will start to think twice before trying. The tag is good but youre letting them off for attempting to break the law.
          Originally posted by Bluegill
          5 years Backyard Skirmishing...

I hope that's not an airsoft euphemism

Comment

Originally posted by 6mm View Post
            Its not a Mods job to ensure a sale goes smooth its just down to both parties, The only way to stop scamming would be to only do a face to face sale
            Aye, i know. What im saying is, that if somebody is known, i have seen instances where people have been banned in the past, and police informed. What im asking from the mods is if there are plans in place, and what they are. Im also trying to see, from the community, what we can do to try and stamp out under age and scam sales, with the help of the mods. Its everybodys job to report these things, but they cannot be actioned without a MOD to help out.

Comment

Atleast if nothing else we will be sure we are not selling to somebody underage, Well they could open the acc in their dads name and show his ID so Meh
              AMY WINEHOUSE R.I.P

G&P Silver M14 EBR Cheap
              http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...om-going-cheap

Comment

Obviously it's impossible to actually ensure that the people buying are over 18. Even for the sale of stuff which is actually dangerous, such as knives, all websites require is for you to tick a box.

I guess the best you can do is ask them, and make them pay through paypal (since paypal requires users to be 18+, they'll have broken the law twice buy off you then). Anything they can scan you can be faked, and I for one wouldn't post my passport or drivers licence. All we can really do is make sure it's no easier for under 18s to buy an airsoft gun here than on a commercial airsoft website...

Comment

you should all be checking site memberships etc when selling RIFs regardless of the buyers age.
                  I call the site they are registered at and ask them to confirm the buyer is a member there, over 18 and check the membership postcode matches the postcode I have been given for delivery (this is important to make sure someone is giving there own name and not someone elses)

Comment

I've had a read through this and, while I could give you a rough idea of what's done, I've flagged it for Rampage to make an "official" statement.
                    sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

hoggy21 Find out more about hoggy21
                    Working...
                    X