This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating a thread is now bumping???

This bumping lark is getting a bit silly...
    I put a thread up this morning selling 4 grenades.... I was getting alot of interest and 2 of them sold. So I update the thread '2 ACM sold'
    This was to stop people messaging me to buy them, wasting their time and mine when I had to reply to say they had sold.
    I then got a strike for bumping....
    How was that a bump? I was updating the thread to show what had gone and what was left.
    Please explain?
    I can't update my own threads anymore?? I have to get a grown up to merge it because it makes so much difference?
    G&P L119A1 classic look ASCU / G&P L119A1 modern look / WE CO2 1911 / DBoys Kar98 / S&S Lee Enfield SMLE

Re: Updating a thread is now bumping???

Have to agree with you. Factual updates shouldn't count as a bump or warrant a strike.

Comment

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
      Have to agree with you. Factual updates shouldn't count as a bump or warrant a strike.
      Yeah I think people are going a bit over the top. If someone blatantly bumps for no reason before 3 days then I'm all up for it... But please mods lets be sensible, a thread creator needs to update in these situations.
      I've now sold another but I'm not going to update just in case I get strike number 2!!
      G&P L119A1 classic look ASCU / G&P L119A1 modern look / WE CO2 1911 / DBoys Kar98 / S&S Lee Enfield SMLE

Comment

Scenario:

A user has many items to sell, but abides by the 3 posts in a section rule. So he creates 3 threads in each section, all selling different, varying items - yes, lots of items.
        However, he updates each of his threads, several times, within the 3 day bump rule, by stating that X, Y and Z is sold.
        This clearly bumps his thread.

Do you not think that it is unfair on users selling one single item, to have another's posts always at the top?

Furthermore, in order to sell your items, we rely on Private Messaging to communicate with other users. Well, why is it that Private Messaging is so difficult to use, by sending PM's to the forum staff (classifieds assistant, moderators, etc) to ask them to add "X is sold" to a thread?

Edit - add info:

Replying to a PM is good manners, it's not an imperative. Some people wait 3 days to update the thread with what's sold, so why should the rule be different for others?
        You got a strike? No, your posts were merged with the reason "Bumping - Strike 1". This is used to inform other assistants or moderators that the posts were merged due to the thread being bumped, or posted on within the 3 days. Therefore, it tells the next person who's going to moderate the thread to issue a notification if your thread is bumped again, before the 3 days - that's strike 2. But this "strike" system is more for us to understand and not the users, who simply need to abide by the rules by not posting on the thread...
        Last edited by Gaffa; 12 June, 2011, 18:21.

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

This wouldn't be a problem if you could edit posts, I'm sure there is the facility to do that.
          I'm sure mods don't want a flod of emails all the time asking to update posts, why not change the edit time on the posts?
          I think it's a little picky penalising people for adding factual information to their classified posts.
          I do like this forum but people really need to chill out :-)

Comment

But I cannot for the life of me understand something...

An example:- If in work, they have a rule, or introduce a rule which says that no wrist-watches can be worn, but you are heavily against this rule and believe that implementing such a thing is a disgrace (whatever it may be, uniform, hair length, etc) - then you only have a few options. You can choose to make a complaint, abide by the rules, or leave. As that's easier said than done, and simply not a viable option for many people these days, they're forced to obey the rules whether they like it or not. Complaints should be listened to and investigated, but people don't have to change simply because you say so.

Therefore, I cannot understand how so many people are able to point fingers at a team, who volunteer their time to UPHOLD the forum rules and moderate posts, etc, or who have complaints against the rules themselves. Just like your job, you DO have a choice. Deal with it by leaving, or deal with it by abiding. That's not to say nobody is allowed or has the right to complain, because of course you can. But this complaint would need to be channelled through to the correct people via the correct means.

Paul - that would allow members to edit posts, after-sale, in order to show that the item was sold as "Broken" but paid for as "Working".

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

Agree with all the above. It used to be fine to update a thread when an update was needed so when did it change? I take it for any updates I now need to message a mod? Surely this will end up with you being literally swamped with requests for this? It's like the option to close a thread was given to the OP to reduce moderator workload, this is just increasing it massively, surely?

Comment

That's fair enough, shame there isn't a way you could add to it without bumping but I understand where you're coming from there.

I think the mods on here do a good job and I admire anyone who gives up their time to look after a forum, however (Through no fault of the mods) this forum is the harshest one I've ever been on in terms of rules and unfortunately (And this is my opinion only), it seems that threads are sometimes closed prematurely, you can't seem to have an actual discussion with anyone in case somebody might say something that someone else doesn't like. We're all adults and unless someone is being a complete troll, why not let the discussion go on?

For example the thread abut RIF's was stopped because the conversation moved to the question of age, a conversation naturaly changes and goes "off topic" but does it really atter that much if something goes off topic. The same happened with a discussion about Berets.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul 8v View Post
                  That's fair enough, shame there isn't a way you could add to it without bumping
                  There is. It's a 'no-bump' plugin. Admin sets the no-bump time to 2 days 23 hrs 59 mins and anything added before that time doesn't bump the thread.

Simple.

Comment

I got one for adding pictures. This was because i just found a way of doing it via an ipad.
                    Its not like it was a bump it was still on the front page and i had added a sorry to the mods.
                    The idea that if you don't like it then don't use the forum I personally don't think is that helpful as editing posts isn't possible. I'm sure none of us want the forum to have no users.

I don't suppose there is an option for the user to add to a post without editing the original content and it not moving it up the board?

Now I know about this i'll make sure I get the pictures included but I was unaware of it in this instance.

Comment

Thats definitely a good idea shooter- add to a post without editing the original content. Would this ever be possible mods?
                      Knowledge is power

Comment

cant you guys put like a lock on sales thread?

like we can post but it wont go to the top before 3 days?

Comment

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                          There is. It's a 'no-bump' plugin. Admin sets the no-bump time to 2 days 23 hrs 59 mins and anything added before that time doesn't bump the thread.

Simple.
                          Please send me a link to a version that works with VB v3.8 and I will look this over.

Thanks

Comment

Mods, could we do this: Sales thread. Post detailing what is available. 1st (automatically added) post that lets us always edit it to show which is sold.
                            Basically the (uneditable) thread then a post which we can always edit to show what's gone.

Comment

Just PMd some info to Gaffa, will forward.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Mike581 Ex Forces Find out more about Mike581
                              Working...
                              X