Which fabric for Yowie/Ghillie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which fabric for Yowie/Ghillie?

mr Crasstoe you have been a source of inspiration .. I was going to buy a ghillie ... i shall now make one!!!
    but can i ask what are you using as a base for the leaves? like what are they stitched on to? also ... never sewed a thing in my life ... tips? (as I guess fuzzy felt glue won't cut it) haha!

------Mods ----------------------------- Members

Comment

Thats one hell of a compliment, thank you!

I have hand sewn it all together onto a shirt, with some being sewn onto the cargo netting so some has some play for the wind to blow.

Thread your needle, pass through the "leaf", through the shirt, back out the shirt and through the leaf, then remove the needle and tie a triple int by hand. Then repeat. I've made over 200 stitches like this so far!

Check out the Yowie thread, should explain in more detail on there with pictures.

My advice check out what the areas you plan on using it in are like. Woods at the sites I intend to use it at are leafy and dark, with bushes, but mostly big leaf stuff so I am aiming to be effective in those environments. There is no 1 suits all ghillie, and whilst this may come in around the same price of a bought ghillie, it has potential to be superior, and more personal. One word of warning, do not under estimate the time needed to do this, just look at the start date of my Yowie thread and you'll know what I mean!
      Sent from my TITAN X310e using Board Express
      King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
      https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
      www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Originally posted by crasstoe View Post
        Thats one hell of a compliment, thank you!

I have hand sewn it all together onto a shirt, with some being sewn onto the cargo netting so some has some play for the wind to blow.

Thread your needle, pass through the "leaf", through the shirt, back out the shirt and through the leaf, then remove the needle and tie a triple int by hand. Then repeat. I've made over 200 stitches like this so far!

Check out the Yowie thread, should explain in more detail on there with pictures.

My advice check out what the areas you plan on using it in are like. Woods at the sites I intend to use it at are leafy and dark, with bushes, but mostly big leaf stuff so I am aiming to be effective in those environments. There is no 1 suits all ghillie, and whilst this may come in around the same price of a bought ghillie, it has potential to be superior, and more personal. One word of warning, do not under estimate the time needed to do this, just look at the start date of my Yowie thread and you'll know what I mean!
        aha well it's the truth :P
        ahh okay because I saw the netting in the pics and didn't know if you had bought a plain base ghillie or something, cool i have a shirt that i will use .. and scavenge some netting.

Lol thanks for the tips Is that cross stitch or running :P lol I meant more about the pattern of the leaves completely random? or layers of colour in lines? its hard to tell from the pic as it's wrinkled.

Yeh this will be a summer project, I might make a hat first or helmet cover that should be cheaper and a good practise.

------Mods ----------------------------- Members

Comment

Random, best camouflage is no recurring pattern.
          www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Best tip I can give you is when your ghillie is conplete, bury it and leave it for a week or so. It'll smell funky but you'll see why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks better in the flesh. Now to get to work!

Originally posted by crasstoe View Post

www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Can't wait to see the finished result, hand made custome guilli suits always work best as know two sites are the same.
                Anything in life worth doing is worth doing properly, just a shame most younger people don't realise this.

I haven't got a sniper rifle but I do like to ambush people and I'm thinking of making a guilli hood just to cover from the waist up.I am.amazed at the amount of.players that where full cammo etc but won't use cammo cream, it's so.easy to find a nice pink round face trying to hid in a bush.

Anyway good luck with the project, can't wait to see the end result.
                sigpic

Comment

I have decided that the material is too bright for my ghillie, contrasts too heavily with the darker colours so I will be adding more of the lighter auscam material instead. Anybody want it all for say £2?
                  www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Ill have it if its still going.
                    -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
                    -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

PM'd
                      www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

crasstoe Chris, 23, White, Male, 5'7 Find out more about crasstoe
                      Working...
                      X