Eye protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye protection

I've looked at a few old threads with the explanation of some of the safety ratings but I just wanted peoples opinions here and found some new info that shipped with my glasses.

Most of the glasses that Zero-One and indeed most other airsoft shops sell are EN 166 comliant, and have F rated lenses and frames for impact.

EN 166 F rated = 6mm steel ball at 45 m/s (148 feet aprox) according to the specs in the manual of one of my pairs.

Now what the impact force of a steel ball at 45 m/s will be I don't know, I assume of course heavier than a BB but not sure what the impact comparrison is.

I've bought two pairs of glasses from stores and both are of said rating.

What is your view on this? Are they really safe enough? With the muzzle velocity reduce significantly over a distance meaning that the impact on the lenses is less? Have any of you carried out tests on polycarb lenses of this rating?

Cheers,

Steve

Here's a vid I found of 45 m/s rated lenses taking a 'claimed' 300-350 FPS from a few meters away?

I suppose they will have to be manufactured slightly better than the 45 m/s limit to make sure they achieve the rating for retail, but is it a gamble when buying them?

**EDIT** just found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDbgG9ldfU0

:O, 800 FPS at a few feet!! Check out part 2 as well for a full auto burst at lower FPS

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...28/CKnAMjcjyvw

K I shot my new F rated glasses at around 6 feet with my 340 fps rifle. The first bounced right off and left a mark, the mark just cleaned off with a soft cloth.

I tried another on the other lense, that left a mark, I rubbed with a soft cloth and it came off, but it did leave a small lump or distortion in the lense.

I would say they are safe, but like anything would need to be replaced after a few good hits to ensure they are still safe.
    Last edited by Sci Fi Steve; 18 December, 2009, 01:03.
    Weapons of Choice:
    G&G SOC-16
    Socom Gear NOVAK neXt 1911
    JG - AK47 tactical
    VFC Scar - L
    Custom Benelli M3 Super 90

Re: Eye protection

Nice little conversation with yourself there.

If in ANY doubt, short burst at point blank. If they break, well it wasn't your eyes that died...

I know LOADS of people don't want to do this, because they don't want to break their glasses and say it will never happen so close. But that one time you turn round as a team mate was shooting over your shoulder, you don't want to be blinded!

Comment

It's a bit stupid testing them by shooting them at point blank, this is only going to weaken them.

Comment

And remember kids: When testing your eye protection, wear eye protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuke View Post
          It's a bit stupid testing them by shooting them at point blank, this is only going to weaken them.
          I didn't shoot them at point blank, but yes, I was close. I wasn't bothered about wrecking them they were only £13.00. I blasted each lense with one shot just to test.

It was more so I could test they were ok, as all the ones I have seen are rated the same, I have two pairs I bought rated the same, so wanted to see for myself that they were safe enough to wear. I would rather loose $13 than an eye

Cheers,
          Weapons of Choice:
          G&G SOC-16
          JG - AK47 tactical
          VFC Scar - L

Comment

Well, F rated standard safety specs (like you buy in hardware stores) stood the test of time today, had a number of face shots at a fairly close distant and no marks, scuffs or problems.

PS I'm not endorsing F rated specs, just reporting my personal findings, if new people read this, wear them at your own discretion and test them!!!!
            Weapons of Choice:
            G&G SOC-16
            JG - AK47 tactical
            VFC Scar - L

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

steveoz Find out more about steveoz
            Working...
            X