General load-out/impression discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General load-out/impression discussion

Not sure if this should be in the other area, in which case please feel free to move, but it's a "general" subject...

If you are "in to" military load-outs or impressions, do you prefer one that is stitch perfectly based on a single image, or one that's built around some research into the kit used for that time-frame/unit?

Re: General load-out/impression discussion

I prefer to base it around unit/era specific kit as opposed to a single image, gives me more freedom and is still accurate. We have to remember that soldiers (even standard line troopers) are given a degree of flexibility in the kit they use and just how they use it (provided the CO OKs it). Doesn't help that by going for a SEAL impression some of the kit is damn hard to come by.

I still need to change my Mk23 to a P226 actually, for my modern era SEAL impression.
    "The only easy day was yesterday"

Originally posted by woody549
    Guns + Booze + Friends + Fun = Winning

Comment

My favorite but one i dont actually own yet is ww2 era, finally decided to stump up the £££ for a 101st airborne loadout

Comment

Specific "load outs" simply do not interest me.

I am not trying to copy a military unit, I did not serve, so I do not copy.

Each to their own though.

Comment

For me, I prefer to see a real world unit, and then use that for ideas. I don't like full on impressions, they're too bloody expensive.
          sigpic

The Proud Owner Of A New G&P US Navy MK23 LMG (Stoner 63)!

Comment

I prefer to wear what works for me at any given game / site and emulate nobody.

I am in awe at the degree of accuracy some guys go to to get that perfect look though. I see a lad occasionally who spent an obscene amount of money getting a 6 pouch herring bone chest rig thing for his WW2 Tommy Gun load out.

Not for me, but he definitely had some wow factor about his kit.

Comment

I only do historical impressions.

They are always based on the kit on issue to that unit at the time and the weapons sensibly available (i avoid 'captured' weapons unless the unit historically used a lot like the SAS and the german Mp40 ). I collect militaria and re-enact so it's three hobbies in one.

I've absolutely zero interest in most things post 1991 though and only a passing interest in Brit and Russian kit up to about 2000.

One of the reasons for this is having a 'modern' loadout is more expensive than anything when new kit is constantly coming into service and replacing old stuff... i used to run an early 2000s bundeswehr loadout with the right armour vests, webbing, helmet etc etc, even military radios and then they had a force overhaul and loads of it changed. would have cost me hundreds to keep up.

The good thing about a historical loadout is that noone is going to invent any new kit for WWII paras etc...

Comment

I also tend to use a sample of photos to base an impression around. As a rule between about 20 and 100 of the unit and try and read a book or two on them.

Using one photo can be a bit risky and lead to what we call in re-enacting to 'farbyness'.

Impressions in re-enacting are supposed to show the average soldier not the exceptional guy so you can do history justice, a lot of my mates carry this through to airsoft.

Comment

i use a lot web research and photos taken of troops from the unit that i want to represent in action.
                  Then I look at what will work for me.
                  I dont like copying exactly what they wear but use it as a basis so i have a general idea. But for example we have our team leader who wear EXACTLY what the unit wears but then again hes doing it more for re-enacting than airsoft. (mind the gear he wears slows him down compared to me)
                  Assumption is the mother of F*&% Ups!

Comment

I wear what works for me really... its loosely based on an impression i guess but i mean VERY loosely! Just whats comfy, what I need to carry and what I think looks cool! I do use the nice quality gear though, I do real steal shooting too so most of my kit gets used for that too.

Comment

In my opinion this is one of the major reasons people take the piss out of airsoft.

I would never "copy" a military unit. Just wear what i like the look of.
                      TM SCAR-L recoil / G&G top tech 416 / TM USP compact

Comment

If i ever did do a 'loadout' based on a unit then i would take what that unit wears as standard as my base, then modify in what i need while keeping it related, not just one single images as that way you end up with things you don't need, like spare pouches that never get filled.

However most of my loadouts are based on movies and games, so there is a lot more freedom there, making it easier to fit in what you want as it isn't a real group or unit you are trying to emulate. Though saying that i don't go to cosplay levels with it, just the basics and some appropriate webbing to stash my pistol mags on.

'FireKnife'
                        68 Pistols and counting in over 8 years of airsoft.
                        Got a spare 10mins or are bored? Check out my film reviews: http://200filmsbeforeyoudie.wordpress.com

Comment

Just wear what I like really and not a ounce of a toss would I give if it's not 'accurate'.

I do understand why some will happily be 100% even to the stitch, well good luck to them I say. It's a game, bit of fun - to be enjoyed.
                          Problems? Problems? There is no problem I cannot solve with this...

++ Attributed to Mad Chainsword Johnson, Commander of the White Scars ++

"Systema owners are easily startled, but they'll soon be back and in larger numbers"
                          Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Well i do a bit of both really- with regards to modern stuff I just wear whatever camo with whatever rig with whatever gun to be honest, I have very little intrest in having the same kit as 'X' unit. But on the other hand, my Russian WW2 stuff (although slightly farby) has been built up from various books, pictures etc, working out what era to do and what kit would've been issued at that point in time. I've been considering getting a british WW2 impression, and I'm sure that I'll do the same for that.
                            Last edited by GhostDivisionAirsoft; 9 August, 2012, 16:08.

Comment

I wear modern kit that does the job for airsoft. Often that coincides with a modern soldier's kit but that's because it will be most fit for purpose for a skirmish. I don't attempt to emulate a unit or a particular look and don't wear patches. Because it would be disrespectful? Maybe, but mainly because it looks a bit silly (I exempt from this remark the folk who do put a lot of effort in - fair play to those guys - I mean the folk who lob a seal patch onto a rig to make it look more leet)
                              I do wear kit that is seen on the battlefield (multicam etc) but again because it works and looks good rather than because cool guys-xyz wear it.
                              I do wear chest rigs / plate carriers. I do wear cam. I don't carry real plates, a bergan, extra link etc as that is a soldiers kit, not an airsofters. It won't help me run faster or reload faster. Ditto, I don't strap a CAT to my plate carrier.
                              "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
                              George Carlin

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

B.E.N. Intensive airsofter and forum heckler. I like dismantling stuff. Find out more about B.E.N.
                              Working...
                              X