Gear Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Weight

I just weighed in all my gear (That I have on me) and with rifle and it comes to just over a stone (20ish pounds).

I'm not the smallest or fittest guy but it feels REALLY heavy sometimes.

How much does your gear weigh? any tips to cut down the weight of your rig?

Re: Gear Weight

Heaviest I've ever tried is about 15kg. Wasn't fun , was like carrying around a bike.

Only carry what you need i.e. water , mags and ammo. Take everything else in a bag you can dump if need be or at the safe zone.

Any offence taken from my posts is likely intended.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooTheMarshmallow View Post
      Heaviest I've ever tried is about 15kg. Wasn't fun , was like carrying around a bike.

Only carry what you need i.e. water , mags and ammo. Take everything else in a bag you can dump if need be or at the safe zone.
      That is literally just water, magazines and rifle (No sidearm). It seems really heavy for the basics.

Comment

Take all those lead weights out the pouches??

The key is to be brutally honest with yourself about what you genuinely need because it gets used multiple times every game. If any item you're carrying doesn't meet that criteria then relegate it to the safe zone bag.

Without knowing your exact kit list, some initial suggestions to maybe consider -

-Water, for most games (depending on the time of year, location, weather etc) a 0.5L bottle or 1L bladder is more than sufficent; just refill over breaks. I always used to carry a 3L bladder because that a sort of military-established standard bladder size, but there's usually no need in airsoft.
        -Are there lighter magazines available for your rifle system? For example, the KWA LM4 PMAGs are a good 2-300g more per magazine compared to the LM4 STANAGs and they perform exactly the same.
        -Do you always get through your complete compliment of mags or are you finding that some don't need bombing up again come break/lunch?
        -Invest in lighter nylon gear. You can save a couple of pounds in cordura/velcro/plastic stiffener/metal snaps/mesh etc using lighter pattern load-bearing kit rather than old-school 1000 Denier stuff.
        REMF Tacticool - Facebook, YouTube & Instagram

Comment

Chest rig instead of plate carrier, or just a simple thigh platform

Comment

Id say me whole kit, minus gun weighs a conservative 25lbs... Just run it out a couple of times and you'll feel the benefit.

Comment

I think it may be just my transition from a MOLLE vest to a MOLLE plate carrier + Camelbak.

I'm not the fittest guy in the world and am hoping i'm going to be able to go a whole game with the rig!

Comment

Where do you feel it? If your shoulders/upper back/neck are hurting the distance between PC shoulder straps may be too wide for you. If you feel it in the legs, you need yourself some exercise/mug of concrete...
                Originally posted by Walter Gropius
                If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

Lower back and mid back, like a pulling backwards.

Comment

Is the PC wrapped tight to your body? I have that same pain if I wear mine too loose. Think my issue stems from years of bad computer-related posture...

Try re-distributing loads, trial and error, keeping space free up front for your primary to be pulled in close. Basically, like packing an exped backpack or bergen- keep heavy stuff close to your body near your hip pads (or in this case belt) and up the center of your spine. Weight on your shoulders needs to be as inboard as possible.
                    If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

Originally posted by a_flea View Post
                      Is the PC wrapped tight to your body? I have that same pain if I wear mine too loose. Think my issue stems from years of bad computer-related posture...

Try re-distributing loads, trial and error, keeping space free up front for your primary to be pulled in close. Basically, like packing an exped backpack or bergen- keep heavy stuff close to your body near your hip pads (or in this case belt) and up the center of your spine. Weight on your shoulders needs to be as inboard as possible.
                      Tight round the waist and kind of loose up around the chest (Admin panel) I haven't adjusted it because of how awkward it is to do! (RICAS - Back panel quick pull emergency medic thing)

Comment

Lol! Yeah I have the RICAS also, I put it off for ages and then did a really long game on a hot day, and instantly thought RIGHT THAT'S IT! Feels awesome now though, took about 7 attempts to get the combination of straps and velcro perfect...

Comment

Problem is the cord to tie them together at the back has been snipped off making it impossible to adjust without loosing the cord inside the vest.

Comment

The washing line part? I used mole grips (not too tight obviously) on mine to keep it in place while i wrenched straps around, it's defo not a vest for someone with fluctuating body mass...

Comment

Guys, I mean no disrespect by this so apologies if it comes across a bit curt. Forceghost, how many hours have you actually worn your new rig for (I noticed that you've said you've just transitioned to a new rig)? What I'm getting at is it will take the body a while to adjust to a new set up that is balanced differently. If you add in the fact that, I'm guessing, you only wear it for a couple of days a week, then it could take your body a fair while to adjust. It's the equivalent of someone jumping in the gym once a week. As I said I'm not trying to be a d!ck, just noticed no-one else had mentioned it, and thought I'd pipe up. Personally I would not worrying about it too much and give your body time. What I would suggest if that was one of my guys at work or in the Army is to do some PT in the plate carrier to get your body used to it quicker. Obviously what with this being a hobby, I'm guessing you're not that keen on running around with it on, so just give it time.

Just my 2 pence!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

ForceGhost Find out more about ForceGhost
                              Working...
                              X