Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were CAR-15s used in Africa?

Hi,

Thinking back to the film Blood Diamond were the Mercenaries use modified XM177 type weapons I tried to find out if these were actually used weapons or just a bit of hollywood.. can anyone verifiy if the XM177 would be accurate or inaccurate for a 1980s/1990s African mercenary impression?

Thanks a lot
    Nick
    Fire Team Zulu
    Find us on FaceBook - Fire Team Zulu Airsoft
    http://www.facebook.com/fireteamzuluairsoft

Re: Were CAR-15s used in Africa?

im not really sure mate i do know that in sierra leone civil war executive outcomes ( wich was made up of mostly ex south african army and rhodesian army guys) carried south african vektor r series weapons, FN FALs, g3's and ak's i would think if they could get there hands on somthing more gucci they wouldn't pass up the chance lol. but always bare in mind those guys had access to mil mi 24 soviet made gunships so god knows what they could get there hands on.

Comment

Sure...why not?
      There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

Executive Outcomes had a frightening amount of weapons and equipment at their disposal. Not just a couple of Mi24's, but a T72 tank and a couple of Mi-8 (Hip) helicopters along with a fleet of BMP apc's.
        When Sandline subcontracted them in 1997, they were using Car 15's, or at least licensed copies of them, possibly Malaysian made. EO really were the daddy of the organised Military Contracting companies - they made a LOT of money in Africa, and caused laws to be changed in South Africa with reference to mercenaries.

edited to add..
        Somewhere on my bookshelves is a copy of Tim Spicer's autobiography and a copy of a book on Executive Outcomes. I was in Sierra Leone in 2000, and there were some very interesting blokes there then.
        Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

All sorts of weapons have ended up all over the place so don't see why not. Classic example: http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...-44/stg-44.jpg

Comment

Blimey! there seems quite an odd mix there of weapons

Comment

Originally posted by Nickona View Post
              can anyone verifiy if the XM177 would be accurate or inaccurate for a 1980s/1990s African mercenary impression?

Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Nickona Find out more about Nickona
              Working...
              X