Cold weather gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold weather gear

I have been thinking, now its slowly getting colder and darker, what do you guys use for winter kit, after my first milsim experience back in august (ended up having to have a fire as it was that cold). I have decided to finally put aside a bit of money for cold weather gear. What would you guys recommend. I would like something in US woodland, Olive Drab or Grey to fit with my kit. I have been eyeing up the Heilikon ECWCS coat for a while but I am unsure what they are like. Anyway all help is appreciated.
    Many thanks
    htank09

Re: Cold weather gear

Go with layers that you can chuck on under/over your existing kit rather than buy a big bulky coat.
    I use a buffalo mountain jacket as an uberwarm under-smock warming layer (a throwover from the old days when it was a gucci and toasty item for sub-zero early morning stags). I also have a variety of cheap lightweight fleeces (the thin 100 weight ones) that layer nicely under my smock and that are thin enough that I can feel hits through them!
    I own a very gucci softshell (which is now my work coat as the missus hates it) and a British arctic parka (which I have wanted for years as they are very toasty and has kept me warm standing around at -14) but they just aren't versatile enough for skirmishing - my parka now lives in the boot for nasty cold breakdowns.
    If all my kit burned, I could be tempted by one of the Helikon fleece hoodies to sneak on under a smock for toastyness!
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
    George Carlin

Comment

^^^^^ what he said, I use a version of the Buffalo, a soft shell, a wind proof.

I'd also say get some decent thermals, they will make a massive difference, then layer up under a windproof outer, that way you can strip down when running around or during the day then layer up as it gets colder.

If you really feel the cold then a north face down jacket is worth its weight in gold, but it can get to hot very quickly.

M

Comment

Thanks angry pirate and akey, they really help. I will get some thermals and a buffalo jacket. I really appreciate the help as I feel the cold quite quick.
        Thanks again
        htank09

Comment

I use Under Armor cold gear for playing in, and throw on an insulated jacket with hood for between games/safety brief

Comment

What they are all saying, you need to remember sweat when it comes to cold weather stuff, you will be running around, sweating, then stop and you're soaking wet and it will suck the warmth out of you, so a wicking base layer, underarmour cold gear for example and something to stop the windchill, then a when you stop layer up with fleeces and a big warm coat.
            sigpic

Comment

If you're serious about bodily warmth than look no further.

The glorious gorka. Yes, a mountain suit. Perfect for the terrible weather we have in UK. Many FSB wear into Chechnya and wear UnderAmour or nike base layers below it. I do the same, is very good.

I would rather be dripping with sweat than freezing my testicles off, this is what gorka does. Plus it's windproof, not rain proof but pfft who cares about rain in mountains.

Comment

Arc'Teryx or Triple Aught Design. Either of those companies will give you everything youll need. I swear by my Arc'Teryx kit. Flawless.
                Last edited by Fenriz; 12 October, 2014, 17:12.
                AUTHOR OF ALL YOUR PAIN.

Comment

RedHawk has the right idea, a Gorka is perfect for cold weather use in the UK. I use mine for a lot of different things.

If that's not really your style. Like Fenriz, I can vouch for Arc'teryx. The best hoodie I've ever had.

Comment

My Helikon Gunfighter is great

Comment

Hows the sizing on the helikon jackets? Ive heard the sizing is massive?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

htank09 Find out more about htank09
                      Working...
                      X