Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Masks & Asbestos

Question:

Quite often at my home site, people use smoke grenades in a closed off CQB area. Its open roof, so no one suffocates, but it can leave you having to take a deep breath to sit through it and stay in the fight. I don't have any problem with it at all, in fact I quite enjoy the extra challenge.

What I wanted to d is grab myself a cheap surplus gas mask, so I can perhaps try next time a gas drill, whack the mask on when a smoke comes to smoke me out, and be a bit more comfortable. Id would go over the top of existing eye pro so Im not concerned about the lenses on them.

What I am concerned about is an article I read a while ago, warning people not to use WWII gas masks as the filters contained asbestos.

Is there a way to tell what a filter has in it, and when certain material/chemicals were phased out on particular models?

Russian and Finnish are the easiest to source, if that is any help!

Re: Gas Masks & Asbestos

I wouldnt depend on the WW2 ones, you get Old S10 for £20 or if you want a little more modern there the modern GSR version for £40 on auction sites..

But regarding weather if they have abestos in them you never will know, but 2013 has created a new law that any WW2 mask must be sold as unused..cus of risk of abestos in the fibres..and theres no real way of checking unless you open the filter to check if they have abestos in them
    Assumption is the mother of F*&% Ups!

Comment

id grab an S10 or GSR and swap the lenses. the old S10 cans are everywhere and can be picked up for pennies
      -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
      -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Here is this link i found regarding it
        http://r.ebay.com/2EQdxn
        Assumption is the mother of F*&% Ups!

Comment

From experience of working with alot of resi's the s10 filters are generally safe, merely a charcoal compound. The russian masks are known to have them, Ive strippred one out myself and can vouch for that. The filters on the old GP5 resi's which are the old school green metal ones are very hit and miss, theres a cut off date code to distinguish when they switched the contents from asbestos but damned if I remember what it is. As a rule of thumb with resi's keep it British or USA, theres alot of unknowns with other countrys. Ive not worked with the old S6 so be wary of it too.

Ultimately the sacrifices youll make in ability to breath outweigh the benefits of the odd smoke grenade, s10's are a bloody swamp inside after an hour let alone a day. Besides youll need to install polycarbonate sheeting to replace the lenses too, tint is optional but either way your vision would be very restricted in comparison to regular goggles etc. Another factor is if you decide to keep it spare for if and when youll have to remove eye protection to fit it over your face and that just isnt an acceptable risk.

Apologies for the long windedness but important things to consider
          Trader feedback: http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8590

Comment

Thanks guys, will keep all of these things in mind.

A few people didn't read too well though, this was never supposed to be an all day mask, or a form of eye protection. Just so that when people try to smoke me out (it happens a fair bit where I play) its not going to happen. Once the smoke is gone, off comes the mask

Comment

Perhaps an alternative would be to purchase one of those half face anti-pollution masks cyclists use, in theory it would take the edge off any smoke and would be easier to take on and off in the heat of the moment
              Trader feedback: http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8590

Comment

Nah, half the problem is watering eyes as well.

Comment

oakley style goggles and a dustmask then
                  Khathar hunnu bhanda marnu ramrod It is better to die, than live a coward

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/...if?w=275&h=157

Comment

Oakley goggles have vents!
                    Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Putting a respirator on over existing eyepro would be interesting; I suspect that, in the time that it would take you to put your gun down, get the mask out, put it on, pick up your gun and acquire targets, some bugger would have shot you.

Comment

I used to use one of these Scan "PPERESPP2 Twin Half Mask Respirator Plus P2 Dust Filter Cartridges"

71Xoaid1NdL._SL1500_ (1).jpg

Had it in a small medic pouch, super quick to put on, light weight, half face only so doesnt interfere with current eye pro. Not violently hot either which is a massive plus. It also works very well, just remember to change the filters.

Comment

He said half his issue was eyes watering though so he is after full face.

Comment

Sorry missed that bit!

on my phone, my spelling will suck

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Boo-Sabum Ben Instructor & Umpire with the International Taekwon-Do Federation Find out more about Boo-Sabum Ben
                            Working...
                            X