Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmets- Real vs Repro

Hey airsofters

So as any of you who have read my other forum posts may have realised, I'm a bit of a budget airsofter :P so, when I found my old protec didn't fit anymore I was looking for a cheap replacement.
    Now my question is, a £30 Chinese Repro FAST helmet vs a real steel Mk6, which do you think would be better for airsoft? I realise the mk6 would be heavier than a glorified bike helmet, but is it worth it against possibly a bad quality Chinese reproduction?

Thanks for any responses

Re: Helmets- Real vs Repro

It is up to you really; we cannot decide for you. Only you can make the choice, based on your needs, views and preferences.

Also, define "better"; what do you mean by "better"?

Comment

Originally posted by colinjallen View Post
      It is up to you really; we cannot decide for you. Only you can make the choice, based on your needs, views and preferences.

Also, define "better"; what do you mean by "better"?
      By better I guess I mean in general which one would have better performance, like would the mk6 be too heavy for the fast movement of an airsoft game, but if anyone had tried a cheap Chinese Repro and had either good/bad experiences with quality, fit, lifespan etc, just wondered if anyone had been in a similar position and had some input

Comment

Unless you're planning on being hit in the head by shrapnel or small arms fire, I'd stick with repro's.
        After all it's only protecting you against small plastic balls and the odd tree branch / low ceiling.

Comment

Originally posted by adam3088 View Post
          Unless you're planning on being hit in the head by shrapnel or small arms fire, I'd stick with repro's.
          After all it's only protecting you against small plastic balls and the odd tree branch / low ceiling.
          If that happens then something unexpected has gone down :P it's mainly the price of a mk6 that's tempting me :L but thanks for the input, gotta say this forum is great for quick responses thanks so far guys!

Comment

Repro helmets tend to have some impact foam in which would protect you more from a bump against a tree than a real helmet without impact foam.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich83 View Post
              Repro helmets tend to have some impact foam in which would protect you more from a bump against a tree than a real helmet without impact foam.
              I thought that might be the case I know the mk6 has some foam inside (hard to see without cracking the helmet open) but yeah unless I get a thunder b thrown against the side of my head I think a Repro might be the way forward, now to find one with a ratchet system :P thanks for your help

Comment

Originally posted by DannyUK View Post
                I thought that might be the case I know the mk6 has some foam inside (hard to see without cracking the helmet open) but yeah unless I get a thunder b thrown against the side of my head I think a Repro might be the way forward, now to find one with a ratchet system :P thanks for your help
                If you look on tintaweb you'll find loads of knock off opscore ratchet systems for not a lot of dosh that replace the poop liners on most copy helmets (fitted a couple of my helmets with them) .
                From deepest darkest pagan Wales ! The steel wolves !

Comment

DO NOT GET A Mk6! YOU WILL REGRET IT! the suspension system in the Mk6 is TERRIBLE! If anything, get a Mk6A!
                  The Gear Box Destroyer

Comment

The issued MK7 is very comfy. I have an Emerson Ops Core which has some polystyrene and the occudial retention system and they are about £40 or so. Also fits my 60cm head.

Comment

I wouldnt recommend sourcing an issue Mk6A or Mk7 as there is potential you will get a knock on the door by the RMP or MDP asking for it back

Comment

Originally posted by maslin4863 View Post
                        I wouldnt recommend sourcing an issue Mk6A or Mk7 as there is potential you will get a knock on the door by the RMP or MDP asking for it back
                        I could have sworn the Mk6a was legal for civvies now...but yeah it's not worth the risk

Comment

mate, both still restricted items.....

Comment

Originally posted by maslin4863 View Post
                            mate, both still restricted items.....
                            Fair enough to be honest the only reason I was looking at the mk6 was because my local army surplus had a few going cheap :P

Comment

Danny,

Mk6 is ok to buy, 6A and 7 are not.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

DannyUK Dan Goodall Find out more about DannyUK
                              Working...
                              X