South African Defence Force / SA Merc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South African Defence Force / SA Merc

Finally decided to make a proper post about this.

What with the world cup and interest in SA based loadouts (see spetznazdave's 'Blood Diamond' thread) I figured it was about time to look at spreading the love of the SADF.

First a little history:

The SADF were involved in a little scuffle down in South West Africa between 1966 and 1989 known as the Border Wars, which ended up being one of the longest running wars in Africa. With trade sanctions and communism on our doorstep, the SADF developed their own unique style of sticking it to the USSR when it went up against Cuba, SWAPOL, Angola and the soviet 'advisors' in the region. They either designed and built their own weapons of war, such as the G6 self propelled artillery piece which is still one of the most powerful artillery platforms on a wheeled chassis, or modified what they could get past the trade blockades such as the R1 assault rifle based on the FN FAL and later the R4 based on the Isreali Galil. The South African Defence Force also developed nuclear weapons but dismantled them in the early 90's, the only country to have ever done so voluntarily. It is rumoured that they were dismantled to prevent them falling into the hands of the ANC, which fought on the side of the communists and was a known terrorist organisation, but that is a political debate best saved for another thread.

Moving on!

The majority of the SADF were made up of young white gents doing national service and despite the bullshit of the media etc, black people WERE welcome to join though were not required to do so. In fact, the most highly decorated unit of the wars, 32nd Battalion, was made up of a mixture of 'tamed terrs', people the SADF had convinced to change sides as well as black & white South Africans.

The SADF achieved a 20:1 kill/death ratio, with elite units such as 32 Bn and Koevoet killing more than 30 for each loss. At the time they were considered to be one of the most efficient fighting forces in the world. The SADF developed mine-proof vehicles which are still in demand today, especially with all that IED nonsense going on in Iraq and Afghanistan and many former SADF veterans are now mercenaries.

History lesson over.

Having found some of my fathers gear from his national service, it took me some time to find the remainder of what I needed. I have since brought over far more than I personally need and am looking to sell the rest on to you, my airsofting brethren.

I have sourced more gear that I expect to have back in the UK by the end of August at the latest. Consider this a pre-sale thread to both talk about this particular loadout as well as find potential buyers.

Items below are all genuine issued SADF gear.:

Scarf
    Bush Hat
    Pattern 83 Assault Vest aka SAAV
    Bush Jacket
    Shirt
    Trousers
    Sargeant Rank Brassards.

JG G3 to round it out, it's not a FAL or Galil but will do for the time being.

From what I've read/seen/heard about, in the field insignia were kept to a minimum, the rank brassards and possibly a nametag only.

Same loadout below minus the jacket and using SA Airforce Corporal stripes instead.

I have a belt with a pistol holster also, not shown, which would be obscured by the jacket anyway.
    Last edited by Sci Fi Steve; 1 July, 2010, 21:43.

Re: South African Defence Force / SA Merc

kewl, very kewl.

Boris
    K98 sale ----> http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...43#post1216243

Comment

I really like this loadout!

Comment

i prefer the short shorts of the Selous Scouts

Comment

Originally posted by murta369 View Post
          i prefer the short shorts of the Selous Scouts
          Having spent quite some time in the SA bush and a bout of tick-bite fever, I can safely say that I'll stick to trousers =P

Comment

Looks very nicely done... also looks very brown! :D

Comment

thats why it is called brown nutria!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tiercel View Post
                Looks very nicely done... also looks very brown! :D
                Very effective given the terrain it was designed for, I quite like the colour personally ^^

And yes, can't forget the army issue vuvuzela.

Comment

Joking aside I had an issue SAAV for ages. Loved it! Just wanted a more personalised way of carrying what I wanted where I wanted it.

Excellent bit of kit.
                  SAVE OUR SPORT
                  http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ScottishGunBan/

Comment

Where's your Black is Beautiful? :p
                    Good to see SADF loadouts elsewhere

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Kinetic Find out more about Kinetic
                    Working...