US SOG in vietnam!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US SOG in vietnam!

Hi guys, since Im getting my M14 back up and running soon, Im looking at doing a vietnam era SOG (special operations group, worked under the CIA as a counter paramilitary group for those who dont know).
    Iv done some rresearch into it and I know I need a good tiger stripe uniform, I already have half of it anyway and the other half I know where to get from.
    I should be using M1961 pattern webbing, however Im struggeling to find that setup so unless someone has any links to that pattern Im gonna settle for a reproduction of the 1956 pattern, which by all intense purposes looks the same and S.O.F sells the full lot in a bundle for 75 quid (including canteens and holster for a 1911). Im looking at going a step further and getting the repro documentation they all carried with them too (at 5.99 I cant resist)
    I will probably get the boots at a later date as my magnums will suffice for now (they look quite similar).
    This wont be 100% accurate as my M14 is of the SOCOM flavour and until I can afford a full length barrel or a full woodstocked M14 then thats the way its gonna be, also until I can get a new 1911A1 I will be using a Hicapa 5.1.
    Im wondering if any of you guys know where to get a rubber version of a Ka-bar combat knife from? Ive checked coldsteel and they dont have one, or do you guys think I could just use a normal single edged combat knife (rubber)?
    Also where the hell can I get a SOG embroidered badge from? Or would that be a custom jobby?
    Im thinking when I get a 1911A1 to get a threaded barrel and make a replica hush puppy silencer, as they did use them for uber covert stuff. What do you think?
    Is it a little extreme/anal? Or worth doing?
    Your input is welcome, thanks for reading guys and gals.
    Sean.
    section 24 of the 1968 Act
    Supplying imitation firearms to minors
    1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
    2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Re: US SOG in vietnam!

Strangely I watched some of The Green Berets with John Wayne last night and they were kitted out in Tiger stripe and minimal webbing, looked to work well in woodland too. Not saying the film wasn't cheesy...lol..

This may help, on flea bay! Thats the name of the shop. Not sure if they have what you are looking for but worth a looksie in case.

Haley's Unique Veteran PX Store WOW

If this is the kind of things you want they have them.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...303/bade_2.jpg
    Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

I am pretty sure SOG stands for Studies and Observations Group, but I may be wrong.

I have some of the M61/67/69 webbing (can't remember exactly which year it was) drop me a PM.

The Hush Puppy was a S&W M39 with a silencer, Known as the Mk 22 Hush puppy. Very hard to do for airsoft so a 1911 w/ Silencer is a good stand in.

And yes a new M14 is needed, but it is something to build on.

Sounds quite good so far, but I would try and swap the Hi Cappa for a 1911 fairly quickly.

Comment

Are you sure you want M1961 webbing as that was USMC specific.

If youre after M56 i have some spare bits-not enough i dont think to make a complete webset but cheaper than SOF repro stuff.

Comment

As Abbadon101 pointed out, you'd be after the Studies and Observation Group rather than Special Operations Group

Also, as Terry pointed out, you'd be far better going with original M56 webbing. It's still relatively easy to get (check US ebay) and a whole lot better than the repro webbing which is sold by SoF (which to be quite honest is a little lacking) and a lot cheaper.

Rather than Tiger Stripe, you'd be better off with standard fatigues as they were infinitely more common (either sprayed or dyed) and you'll find these to be cheaper too. The Tiger Stripe uniform wasn't all that common within SOG for some reason and there aren't that many photographs of the Americans wearing them (mainly a Montagnard/Yard thing). In addition to the above, don't worry about getting a full wood stocked M14...because I don't think I have come across them in SOG use across my few years of research. You'd be far better off with a XM177/CAR15 or AK as they both fitted in with the SOG modus operandi far more than the M14. If you do have a particular liking for wood stocked beasties, then perhaps look at an M1/2 carbine and a 30 round magazine for an early SOG look

SOG badges are fairly available, look on SoF or Moore Militaria (best place for anything Vietnam) but please don't put it on your fatigues....as they didn't :lol:

If you're really adamant on this, then I'd recommend picking up copies of...

Running Recon: A photographic journey with SOG Special Ops along the Ho Chi Minh Trail - Frank Greco
          SOG: A Photo History of the Secret Wars - John Plaster
          Sog: The Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam - John L. Plaster

All the best,
          Pip
          Last edited by Pip; 25 July, 2010, 14:22.

Comment

If youve got an M14 why not do early/pre war Marine advisor? They wore marine tiger stripe, replica suits available on Soldier of Fortune, and WW2 issue webbing bar belts and similar kit.

Comment

reread the good ol wiki, and SOG stood for special operations group and then later became Studies and Observations Group. Im happy a lot of you have added a lot of further infomation for me to digest, and some links too, the badge that has been linked is the very one.
              Id rather avoid the CAR15 and XM177, as I dont really wanna buy another armalite varient, maby an AK47 though (or a type 56) as SOG did use them, and I have seen photos of them using them (and yes they did also wear the black PJs to blend), but for now I will have to settle for the M14, they must have used them as they were still common issue. Im going for tiger stripe as thats the most popular vision of these guys even though it might have been rare in reality.
              section 24 of the 1968 Act
              Supplying imitation firearms to minors
              1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
              2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

F DONT BELIEVE WIKI. SOG from the start they were formed meant Studies and Observations Group.
                If my memory serve's me correctly there was morn than one SOG group. There was MACV-SOG which is the most known and there was 2 other sections which I have forgotten the names of.
                SOG groups liked being basic, they preferred the plane 'grunt' greens then customized them by spraying camo on it and moving pockets to the arm sleeves.
                Now the thing about them wearing the black PJ is quite wrong. what they did was dye there 1st, 2nd or 3rd patten greens completely black.
                Now u could go for tigerstripe if u wanted to but SOG did not really like them for some reason.
                Webbing wise go for the M56 webbing its available, cheap and it the webbing they used.
                I understand that u only have a M14 at the moment. But SOG units went out on patrol behind enemy lines for week (one account even says for 2 months). They were behind enemy lines and carrying a lot of kit along with around 30 magazines. So that why you dont really see the M14 in pics due to the gun being to heavy and that it was very hard to get the right ammo. So a CAR15, XM177 and type 56 would be fine.
                Oh and dont have any rank, name strips and unit badges on your uniform.

I personal role wearing a MACV-SOG loudout (i completed mine under £90). I know quite a bit about SOG so if got any questions dont be afraid to PM me i will be happy to answer your questions. Hope it goes well.

Now this is a little history lesson for all of you. Now u have seen in 99.9% of nam movies the NVA and VC running around with AK's so u think off its ok to have one for you US SF or VC loudout but Hollywood are wrong.

During the war there was a very small amount ok AK's being used/in the country. What the NVA and VC had was the Chinese version of the AK, the type 56. Now u see in nam movie the AK47 being used due to they are available and look like the type 56. Also Type 56 are a real bugger to get hold of. so Hollywood settle for AK due to it looking like the type 56.
                Originally posted by Jez@Devoted
                Dude, more to life than ranking up in a forum!
                sigpic

Comment

Actually a lot of people use Type 56s in films these days.

Comment

And RS make a very good one.

Comment

Yer now it easy to get hold of. But when the old nam movies were done the type 56 was had to get hold of.
                      sigpic

Comment

They've got type 56s in platoon, FMJ and Apocalypse now

Comment

Odd it was something i was told by a nam re-enactor last year.
                          sigpic

Comment

ignore this post
                            sigpic
                            Originally posted by Parky
                            Being offended by the deaths of over 6 million people's almost as bad as not using the sales template.

Comment

hope it aint to late, but I can do one for you.
                              sigpic
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              Advertising is not permitted on this forum

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

seansamurai1 Over the 30 mark but not over the hill yet!!! Find out more about seansamurai1
                              Working...
                              X