Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designated Marksman Loadout

Hey y'all,

I'm thinking of building some form of Designated Marksman loadout around either my Mk12 Mod0 SPR or Mk14 Mod0 EBR (or possibly both depending). Just looking for hints, tips and advice from people on what gear I should be looking at & how I might want to approach load bearing (I've already got a RICAS & a WRPC-7 for MOLLE gear but my [admittedly limited] google fu has turned up other options such as ALICE) and general loadout appearance and semblance. I'm looking at an American DMR loadout based on the rifles I'll be using but I'm not necessarily looking for 100% mil-sim accuracy. Any and all advice will be welcomed.

Re: Designated Marksman Loadout

pick a unit you wanna replicate then just use their kit and armour and put it in a comfy set up for you

Comment

Try Multicam trousers & top and Ranger green rig and pouches. Looks good and its what the 75th Ranger Regiment are wearing in Afghan. There are some photos of them out there with the MK12 SPR on the internet.

Comment

Ditto. Surely you need to pick a unit, rangers is a good starter and base it on them. I think it requires a fair bit of research; some units, 10th Mountain Div for example, may just use standard ACU and just give the guy a bit more of a gucci rifle. I expect that is what we are doing when it comes to UK equivalents using the L129(?).
        Not knowing too much, but isn't the DME just a guy who got his expert marksmans badge and got dicked for the role, therefore, actually not particularly SF? Happy to be corrected, just what I heard!
        sigpic

Originally posted by Savaged Wolf

Snowdrop - hes quiet but always there ! like a jedi

Comment

Yeah as far as I know a DM is just that, a designated marksman. Not SF at all just a shooter with a accurate and further reaching weapon system.

Comment

You cant have a 'DMR loadout', as they use the same gear and camo as standard troops, they just have a different weapon.
            sigpic

Comment

If his loadout is based around a DMR who says it is not a DM loadout. For example an M249 or M240B gunner would have a specific loadout due to their weapon so a DM with a 7.62 weapon system would require a specific loadout too (pouches etc). Or not?

Comment

SEALS are using M14 EBRs, couple of good pics out there.
                Rangers using M21.
                First Recon probably are as well (it's 1:30am and my mind's to cluttered with Structural Functionalism to actually remember...).

Basically as others have said you need to pick a unit and replicate what has been documented/proven to be in use if you want to do it 'right'.

If you're happy just to go by-the-by then go with a basic rifleman loadout with appropriate ammo pouches.

Comment

Just looked on wikipedia and there is a good bit on there. Ultimately a DM is just a well trained infantryman who has the ability to shoot accurately over long distances. So you would do a standard infanteer with m14/21 pouches.
                  Simples!
                  sigpic

Originally posted by Savaged Wolf

Snowdrop - hes quiet but always there ! like a jedi

Comment

Originally posted by Blackjack13 View Post
                    Rangers using M21.
                    M110 actually
                    Originally posted by fijitstiks
                    they are a waste of time dont know why the british army still has them
                    Originally posted by N3ADS
                    Is this you talking from experience ?..
                    i was at cadets for 3 years

Comment

Originally posted by crotmate View Post
                      M110 actually
                      My bad, got Rangers and Army confused That's what you get for typing stuff at 1am...

Picture I got mistaken with is at the bottom of this page (ACU & ACOG), which also might prove useful to y'all. Link

Comment

Old photo mate, its from 2006. The Army use M110 now.
                        they are a waste of time dont know why the british army still has them
                        Originally posted by N3ADS
                        Is this you talking from experience ?..
                        i was at cadets for 3 years

Comment

Originally posted by crotmate View Post
                          Old photo mate, its from 2006. The Army use M110 now.
                          Fair point, but OP didn't specify an era, so I was just throwing stuff up that suited his weapons of choice. (In fairness I didn't know about the M110, so you learn something new everyday! )

EDIT: Just noted it's the EBR... my posts are null-en-void haha

Comment

Comment

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Aeneas Find out more about Aeneas
                              Working...
                              X