Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Nam Tigerstripe look

Hello chaps,

Ive come looking for some advice! The 'nam bug has bitten me, Im slowly selling all my modern gear, just bought a full length lovely wood M14 and trying to get an M16a1 as well, I really want to give 'nam softing a go but no idea where to start.

Id really like to go for the generic OD infantry grunt look, however due to being a rather husky gentlemen, the only jungle fatigues I can find are either cheap, but only come in XXXXS sizes, or they come in my size, but are ludicrously expensive repro kit, (£40 for a repro jungle shirt alone? I dont think so!) maybe if I really get into it, then Ill consider splashing out on some expensive repro gear.

Ive always liked tigerstripe (I mean how can you not like it?) and my local surplus store has a handy stash of it, convieniantly in my sizes too. So how would I go about pulling off a tigerstripe 'nam look?

From what Ive read, which Ive no idea how acurate it is, so pleae feel free to correct me, tiger was only worn by special forces, and was usually complemented with an OD bandana or tiger stripe beret/boony hat?

For the webbing Im going to be cheap/lazy, Ive already got a set of brit '58 pattern webbing, I know its not ideal however it looks close enough and again Im not willing to spend megabucks on repro 'nam webbing, and from reading the "will this pass as 'nam" thread on here, it seems to be not ideal, but acceptable. Theres also the argument that SF can wear what they want, and they decided to swap thier webbing with some of thier Australian SASR buddies webbing, so there

So theres my basic idea, tigertripe combats, '58 webbing, probably OD bandana rather than the other suggestions, so Im looking for any tips, suggestions or improvements I could make? Any tips or advice for someone entirely new to the 'nam side of things and wanting to get started? Also Im vaugely aware of events like Tour of Duty etc, was wondering how many/where are 'nam themed events?

Or if anyone happens to know where I can get a jungle shirt in larger sizes without needing to take out a mortgage, Id like to know! :D

Re: 'Nam Tigerstripe look

Check out ASMC if you can't find your size here on Zero One. They have repro Vietnam OD pants and jacket in their catalog. Also if the field you play on is not strict about the fatigues being period correct, Helikon's Special Forces Uniform (SFU) in OD green has a retro Vietnam style to them--but with velcro.

Comment

I am no expert on this but I do remember the correct tiger is the faded stuff not the newer bright colours.

I also have a set and for the life of me can't remember if I bought it here or googled it and got it shipped from the USA, which is an alternative. I have the boony to go with it too, size is USA XXL you may be able to prise it out of my wardrobe if you are desperatre for a set...lol.
      Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

Originally posted by EagleDriver View Post
        Check out ASMC if you can't find your size here on Zero One. They have repro Vietnam OD pants and jacket in their catalog. Also if the field you play on is not strict about the fatigues being period correct, Helikon's Special Forces Uniform (SFU) in OD green has a retro Vietnam style to them--but with velcro.
        Mmm, really cant justify those prices though... 60 euros for a shirt?! I dont think so... Im trying to do it on the cheap because Im poor but still wanna look badass

The Helikon stuff does look nice, but the velcro kinda kills it, though I suppose I could either remove it or just slap a big patch over it... its a possibility but its still hella expensive!

Mida, you're right faded would look a lot better. How much would you be looking for to part with your tiger stuff?

Though I suppose if all else fails I could just spend a few hours in some new tiger, rolling around the garden and boil wash a few times, I cant imagine SF in 'nam spending much time looking clean and new

Comment

I will dig them out tonight and take a pic.

Im sure its the proper period colour. You know whats going to happen if you buy some of the new un faded stuff...lol...The bloody stuff just won't fade...It's not something I have worn regularly either so it's in good nick.

As for price I can't even remember where I bought it from...lol. Either the German camo sounding place over here or the USA.
          Gun tech.

Comment

A certain german camo named retailer has Toger stripe BDU's in L (and XL trousers).

About £36 for the whole set.

Comment

http://zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=99069

A couple of users to ask would be Demoncase or tomlegg. There is another user, but I can't think of their name right now. I'll have to get back to you on that.
              Originally posted by fijitstiks
              they are a waste of time dont know why the british army still has them
              Originally posted by N3ADS
              Is this you talking from experience ?..
              Originally posted by fijitstiks
              i was at cadets for 3 years

Comment

Originally posted by crotmate View Post
                http://zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=99069

A couple of users to ask would be Demoncase or tomlegg. There is another user, but I can't think of their name right now. I'll have to get back to you on that.

How did I miss that thread? Thats perfect, pretty much exactly what Im looking for A chicom works surprisingly well with that look... hmmm....

Comment

Something I had forgotten is the boonie is the more modern bright colours, rather than the more subdued. So I wouldnt include it.

Gun tech.

Comment

Thats no problem, was planning on going for the bandana look anyhow ANy idea what the chest/waist measurements are? XXL should be plenty large enough but just curious. How many of her majesties finest pounds would you like for it?

Comment

FYI, there's a certain retailer named after the popular term for mercenaries that does two types of Tigerstripe uniform.

One's the ARVN Seawave/Silver type which was worn more by the Advisory teams and is pale lime green/grey and black
                      The other is the darker 'SF' type tigerstripe which is what I'm wearing in those pictures above.....I also have a set of Tigerstripe Products BDU cut tigers which are somewhere between the two- The green is bright but the browns are muted.

The ones available from a certain retailer named after a german camoflague pattern frankly suck. They are too dark, too densely patterned, the wrong cut and wash out to a horrible brown after a mere 2 washes. Avoid.

Be aware that the 'original' tigers are a family of patterns, not a single pattern- they were made in a variety of places, locally in country, via the CISO logisitics supply as well as via Korea and Japan. Understandably, there's a deal of variation in the dyes, cuts, patterns and how they have faded over time......add in a number of SE Asian countries borrowed the pattern and the usual fakes, and you've got a right 'butchers muddle'.

If you want to collect original stuff then I reccomend buying Paul Miraldi's book on Advisor and SF uniforms. And get a mortgage- I've seen original 'Gold Tigers' go for in excess of £400 for a shirt on a popular online auction site.
                      Nothing in his pockets except knives and lint....

Comment

Just buy the tigerstripes from the place that bears the same name as a german camouflage and cover them in mud. Wash it hot first, to get a slightly faded look and just play in it. The more mud the better. Cause you got to remember its cheap and in stead of wasting alot of time looking for that perfect erdl jacket, you can go out and get in the 'nam. Which at the end of the day is what it is all about.

Comment

The tigers that midas has shown are unfortunately incorrect for Nam, its a modern variation.
                          If you have a search of the HK suppliers they do a set of period tigers for about $30 but you`ll have to check the stitching as it`s a bit weak.
                          `58 is ok for looks like but no one wore it in Nam, the anzacs had their own variation of US M56 and a few bits of Brit `37 and `44 dyed green.
                          Some modern Alice bits will do the job as they resemble US `67 bits and are a lot cheaper than M56.
                          There is a site in Cornwall which is going towards Nam themed games, and if you need any more info take a look at my sig for the UK Nam airsoft forum.

Comment

Gunmans Black ops in June and there will be another in October. Not going to add anything else to this as the earlier posts are correct.
                            nam games are getting nice an popular, so much so my stag do is a nam game.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Tiercel Find out more about Tiercel
                            Working...
                            X