Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-specs in nam?

would you of found in the viet nam war,
    soldiers useing basicly a VSR-10 G-SPEC?

like the R700 g-spec of some thing?

thanks

Re: G-specs in nam?

you mean a Remington with a suppressor on it?

Comment

No reason why I couldn't have been. Seeing as the R700 and M24 are basically the same rifle. (m24 having a thicker, heavier barrel)

Comment

hummmm

Comment

I doubt the G Spec (a short version with silencer) would have been used but the normal M24/ R700 (pro sniper) would have been but i could be wrong
          "I guess it comes down to a simple choice. Get busy living or get busy dying."
          Red - Shawshank Redemption

Comment

The M40 was used in nam, I'm fairly sure. The M24 was a bit later

Comment

The M40 was used later in the war, however the US army hadn't actually fielded a proper snipers rifle other than the 1903 since the end of WW2 so most snipers had either the aging Springfield or a hunting rifle (Remington 700 or similar).

As a "f*cki that will do approach" you will probably be allowed to use the Gspec in a nam event but it isn't accurate for the time at all really. A Pro with a wood effect stock would be much closer.

Comment

My understanding is that the Marine Corps fielded the M40, whilst from 69 the Army fielded the XM21 or in other words, a match grade M14 that is, if you wanted to be accurate, otherwise creating a vsr pro to look like a hunting rifle would be easy to get away with I am sure!
                Originally posted by spetsnazdave87
                It just annoys me that M79s are in MW2 when everyone else is using stupid futureweapons.

Derbyshire- apparently the secret training grounds of the Russian special forces.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbadon101 View Post
                  The M40 was used later in the war, however the US army hadn't actually fielded a proper snipers rifle other than the 1903 since the end of WW2 so most snipers had either the aging Springfield or a hunting rifle (Remington 700 or similar).

As a "f*cki that will do approach" you will probably be allowed to use the Gspec in a nam event but it isn't accurate for the time at all really. A Pro with a wood effect stock would be much closer.
                  Nail>on>head.

The scatter of sniper rifles in Vietnam was considerable- some teams used a selection of Starlite-scoped M16s, Scoped M14s and accurised M700 in 30-06 as the particular AO required (Read 'Dear Mom' which is a sniper's tale in Vietnam for source material)....Some poorbodies in the USMC were even still stuck with pre-WW2 1903 Springfields and M1 Garand-C with the offset scope throughout the war.

A smattering of civilian sporting rifles (M700s and M70s in particular) with civilian scopes did appear.

Very late on the M40 did appear but- as was often the case- demand was greatly in excess of supply, and many sniper teams made do with the kit the started with.
                  Nothing in his pockets except knives and lint....

Comment

I think that you'll also find from researching that Vietcong rifles were sometimes preferred if they were obtained because they were far better than some of the rifles that the us snipers were issued.
                    “A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

Comment

Originally posted by dannyeprice23 View Post
                      I think that you'll also find from researching that Vietcong rifles were sometimes preferred if they were obtained because they were far better than some of the rifles that the us snipers were issued.
                      Care to state your source, as that's the first time I've heard that in 15 years of researching/collecting Vietnam gear.

Anyone suggesting that a "VC pick-up" Mosin Nagant with it's fixed power PU scope and indifferent supply of battlefiedl pickup 7.62x54R is "far better" than a match-barrelled M700 with a Redfield 3-9x40 and easy access to 'green dot' match quality ammunition has- frankly- been smoking dope.....

Comment

o-t23
                        Originally posted by demoncase View Post
                        Care to state your source, as that's the first time I've heard that in 15 years of researching/collecting Vietnam gear.

Anyone suggesting that a "VC pick-up" Mosin Nagant with it's fixed power PU scope and indifferent supply of battlefiedl pickup 7.62x54R is "far better" than a match-barrelled M700 with a Redfield 3-9x40 and easy access to 'green dot' match quality ammunition has- frankly- been smoking dope.....
                        this was quoted directly......from my brother. The same brother who argued that HK produced the M16. I know nothing of the vietnam era as i study WW2, so i for one, am willing to trust you on this one..

on subject though, was the M1903A4 not the most common sniper rifle for the US in vietnam? i know it entered service in the early 1940s?
                        “A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

Comment

Originally posted by dannyeprice23 View Post
                          o-t23

this was quoted directly......from my brother. The same brother who argued that HK produced the M16. I know nothing of the vietnam era as i study WW2, so i for one, am willing to trust you on this one..

on subject though, was the M1903A4 not the most common sniper rifle for the US in vietnam? i know it entered service in the early 1940s?
                          That's a tough one to quantify.... On the one hand, the M1903 was the 'official issue' sniper rifle for the US Army for over half the conflict and would certainly have been in the inventory....

On the other hand, the majority of sniper accounts I've read feature M700s, M70s and other heavy barrelled civilian hunting rifles with commercial scopes until the early 70s when US involvement was winding up.

I've read only one definate account of the M1903a4 in use, and that was as part of a SOG operation in 1968 (in which they never actually got to use the thing having got bumped 10 minutes after infil and ended up leaving the thing on the riverbank).

All I'd commit to is that it was in the inventory and there if you couldn't find anything better.....As there isn't a readily available M1903 in airsoft for, it's a moot point

Comment

Ahh, thanks for clarifying that, couldn't have asked for a better answer really
                            Last edited by dannyeprice23; 9 July, 2011, 11:36. Reason: A typo.!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Tyler For equestria! <3 Find out more about Tyler
                            Working...
                            X